Void_S

42111 Dom's Dodge Charger MODs and Improvements

@kbalage, I'm waiting for the 2nd modification with locked steering as well  :grin: (can't stop myself putting the joke here)

Personally, I see two things are more realistic here:

1. To try soft shock absorbers. Normally the cars "sits" at 1/3 of the suspension travel, so the springs should be better compressed by the car's weight
  2. Put the rear shock absorbers mount points higher - their current position is to low for 49.5 wheels use.

3 hours ago, johnnym said:

@kbalage: Saw your video when browsing through YT. Lower looks really cool (and better than the original!). And maybe there's a way to have it that low at the front and still have some form of suspension (e.g. with brick-built shocks?).

If you block the current shock absorbers with hard springs like I did then you'll still have some suspension travel. You can try the ones with soft springs, or use those and also limit the suspension travel. My aim with the video was to show a quick solution with the least amount of extra parts needed. 

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Put the rear shock absorbers mount points higher - their current position is to low for 49.5 wheels use.

With this rear axle change there's a ~2mm gap between the microphones and the beams above them, so to move the body even lower there're some bigger structural changes needed. 

39 minutes ago, kbalage said:

With this rear axle change there's a ~2mm gap between the microphones and the beams above them, so to move the body even lower there're some bigger structural changes needed. 

I mean not lowering to body (what a trend to "drop" the cars everywhere :oh3:) but just put both mount points upper at 1 stud, so you will have a higher ground clearance under the bottom part of absorbers. with the default position in tends to zero when 49.5 wheel are used.
I'm going to finish the "49.5 wheels" mod and will show what it was about.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, efferman said:

Started myself with some Bodyshop changes.

Looks good ! Might have to add some of these to my mod, I see you also added rearview mirror to the driver side haha :) that's one of the first things I did

Edited by Peppermint_M
Please don't quote pictures.

Just now, Whitezombified said:

rearview mirror to the passenger side

Thanks. In the united states the passenger sits on the left side?

44 minutes ago, efferman said:

Thanks. In the united states the passenger sits on the left side?

No I just mispoke and said the wrong word, I meant drivers side as in the left haha

Also linking that here in the actual thread about the 42111 Charger mods and improvements. Original idea is from @I_Igor:

Just finished my 42111. I'm thinking if it's possible to fit a buwizz in the trunk.. It would be a really tight fit unless you turn the wiring downwards. 
Also would be cool if the motor could be fitted in the front instead of having a fake V8.. Because having an interior would be nice.. The servo could be used as a "fake transmission tunnel".. 

2 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

Just finished my 42111. I'm thinking if it's possible to fit a buwizz in the trunk.. It would be a really tight fit unless you turn the wiring downwards. 
Also would be cool if the motor could be fitted in the front instead of having a fake V8.. Because having an interior would be nice.. The servo could be used as a "fake transmission tunnel".. 

Make it so!

54 minutes ago, amorti said:

Make it so!

Servo as a transmission tunnel is possible but it requires a couple of changes to the axle in the middle.. 

Working on some proportions, so far it is still too rounded but should be better, I believe...

800x450.jpg

Is there a way to make the servo not turn full 90 degrees but only 45 instead? I got 1 stud of space so can i just use gears? 
I'm trying to fit the servo to the original model and i manged to clear room for it but then i realized that the axle only turns 45 degrees. 

9 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

Is there a way to make the servo not turn full 90 degrees but only 45 instead? I got 1 stud of space so can i just use gears? 
I'm trying to fit the servo to the original model and i manged to clear room for it but then i realized that the axle only turns 45 degrees. 

If you use a buwizz you could set the power curve to only use the first 7 or 9 of the 15 positions the servo can manage.

If you want to do it using only Lego digital remotes... IDK what's possible in the space you've got left. Either you'd have to figure how to gear the servo down by half. Or can you use a smaller gear on the steering rack?

Edited by amorti

58 minutes ago, amorti said:

If you use a buwizz you could set the power curve to only use the first 7 or 9 of the 15 positions the servo can manage.

If you want to do it using only Lego digital remotes... IDK what's possible in the space you've got left. Either you'd have to figure how to gear the servo down by half. Or can you use a smaller gear on the steering rack?

Hmm.. Well the buwizz thing is easy but i don't want to take the easy route. 
I kinda want to keep it looking original but i might swap the fake engine to a lego XL or two L motors and have the hood with no hole.. 
So many options to try out.. 
One way is to use effermans solution on the servo but that requires 2 studs of space.. I think it should be doable. 

Currently i gutted the interior out and the doors and wheelie bar.. 

EDIT:
AI0zO8Ll.jpg

It works but when the car is sitting on it's own weight, the wheels don't really want to return to center.. But that could also be because the servo isn't fixed in place yet and it's having too much give.. 

But this seems to fit nicely. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Anyone think of a way to create rear window trim for the rear? I think that's something it's desperately needing and would really make the rear of the car pop and not look so clunky

15 hours ago, Whitezombified said:

Anyone think of a way to create rear window trim for the rear?

roundabout like this?

49865864796_1858652fe0_c.jpg

11 minutes ago, efferman said:

roundabout like this?

Wow, I always thought the Charger was a fastback

21 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Wow, I always thought the Charger was a fastback

maybe a little bit source

h-ePEU6cjcY07MrIMUTXFRuMBBE4NKZFo4WgBXxX

21 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Perhaps you can put kind of limiter or stoppers on wheel hub to prevent "overturning"

21 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Perhaps you can put kind of limiter or stoppers on wheel hub to prevent "overturning"

46 minutes ago, efferman said:

The Body is done

Looks really badass! It's awesome how you could fix the parts in place with all these angles on the front and rear fenders. For the rear window, I find the frame a little too thick. Maybe one could use the parts that make the A pillars also for the rear window?