55 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5...

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 – Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

This review is the culmination of Eurobrick's finest photography and written review. As this set requires technical prowess due to its complexity, I have recruited @kaelthas to help me with this review. Without more delay, I am presenting you set# 11010 - White Baseplate.

Overview

Name: 11010 - White Baseplate
Theme: Classic
Year: 2020 (1H)
Pieces: 1
Minifigures: 0
Price: GBP 6.99 / USD 7.99 /  EUR 7.99 / MYR 34.90

Introduction

To make this review exciting, @kaelthas has helped me with his excellent table top photography. Unlike me, he has access to twigs from his backyard which proves to be very handy as props. Every photos involving the wooden table and twigs are his.

Note: mouse, laptop, twigs and other props do not come with the set. 

Front view
49719884547_e8943d4925_b.jpg

Similar to other baseplates, the white baseplate is released under the Classic theme. 

Back view 

49719884137_3fe577b182_b.jpg

There is no need to show the back of the packaging but it is here anyway. 

Build (?)

Just like Schrödinger's cat, one can argue that a 1-piece LEGO set is both built and/or unbuilt at the same time. So, while it is arguable, I would say that the time it takes to build this set depends on how fast one can open the plastic packaging. 

In addition, There is no need for an instruction manual so this is +1 point to mother earth. 

Front view

Upon unboxing, the glorious 32 x 32 studs of the baseplate welcomes you with its pure whiteness.

49719884417_65fa9b3229_b.jpg

We have never seen this immaculate whiteness in a single set before, as this baseplate is pure white.

Back View

49719566976_56daa20673_b.jpg

Can we appreciate the back of the baseplate, too?

Unlike the regular plates that has anti-studs at the bottom, baseplates only have these recessed parts underneath that look like Golf ball dimples when viewed from a distance.

Side view

49722705212_178a0f7a29_b.jpg

It is also rarely seen at this angle as baseplates are very thin. If it is any whiter, and if I remove all the shadows, you can barely see the image above. 

More versatile than you think!

49719566676_53d70257b1_b.jpg

As you play with White Baseplate, you will notice that it is very good at collecting dirt and small particles.

You can even look with your naked eye and see that it highlights them quite well. Blue and green baseplates pale in comparison. 

Another hidden feature with white baseplate is that it can be "re-built" as a tan baseplate. Yes, this is a secret 2-in-1 set!

Below is a simulation on how a white baseplate will look like after basking it under the sun for a prolonged period. 

49722389971_2370ff2f2a_b.jpg

Voila, you have a tan-ish baseplate*!

*colour depends on the varying exposure to UV light

Conclusion

I cannot stress enough that this is a very tough review to score but alas, here is my verdict.

Pros:

• No assembly required
  • Highlights dirt easily
  • 2-in-1... as it becomes tan progressively 

Cons:

• Will be replaced by another colour (in rotation) after few years 

Review summary

Playability10/10 - As baseplates are becoming a rarity in sets, this is 100% pure joy
Design / Building Experience: N/A - You know that this is not a serious review right?
Minifigures:  N/A - If not obvious, please look at the review date. 
Price / Value for money: 9/10 - Buy this while it is available or wait for discount if you want it cheaper.
Overall9.5/10 - I can't really say anything bad about baseplates. Highly recommended to people who likes winter season dioramas.  

Olaf: Happy April Fools!

49719566861_c1ed422601_b.jpg

Thank you for this in-depth review! I had been considering buying some of these when I saw them in the local Walmart, but was unsure whether to pull the trigger. The only thing I didn't see in the review was an indicator of how much the cost-per-part avg. was, which for me is always the deciding factor, but I used some tools provided by a large software company to perform advanced maths to figure it out for myself. Your review has convinced me to indeed go ahead and buy many of these plates for my Christmas time display this year. I will put them on top of my bookshelves immediately to start collecting dust, that way by Christmas they will have that authentic rust-belt-of-America look to them.

17 minutes ago, Paradosis said:

Thank you for this in-depth review! I had been considering buying some of these when I saw them in the local Walmart, but was unsure whether to pull the trigger. The only thing I didn't see in the review was an indicator of how much the cost-per-part avg. was, which for me is always the deciding factor, but I used some tools provided by a large software company to perform advanced maths to figure it out for myself. Your review has convinced me to indeed go ahead and buy many of these plates for my Christmas time display this year. I will put them on top of my bookshelves immediately to start collecting dust, that way by Christmas they will have that authentic rust-belt-of-America look to them.

Apologies if I missed it out. Glad you still enjoyed the in-depth review. 

As for the Christmas buying plan, I think a lot of our forum members will copy this now that this idea is out there. 

Cheers!

This is a great set.

However, TLG really missed the opportunity to include a sticker sheet here. Due to the flat surface, the sticker sheet wouldn't be bent:grin:

Anyway, thanks for this review and stay safe

:laugh_hard:

I really like the hidden function - I will change mine in the tan version which is much more versatile IMHO.

Sick Review. 10/10 for informativity, if that's a word. Thanks for sharing and keep the community up an running!

Thanks for the review. While it seems a nice set, I had to vote "poor" based on the horrible price per piece ratio, €8,- per piece is just too much for me.

While this set is a masterpiece once built, I feel like it's far too challenging for the 4+ bracket recommended on  the package. 

I'd really like to see it labelled as a 16+ Expert set as it may cause extreme frustration in younger builders.

Day 1 purchase for me. I would have missed the set without this awesome review

Edited by bitbamboo

Hilarious! I knew this had to be more of a joke review, but I didn't get the full context till your lack-of-minifigures comment said to look at the date. Well played!

Thanks for the review @makoy . Unfortunately, this set has one of the worst price-per-piece ratios in history and I'm afraid that Big Brick has bamboozled us yet again :wall:

8 hours ago, Stefaneris said:

This is a great set.

However, TLG really missed the opportunity to include a sticker sheet here. Due to the flat surface, the sticker sheet wouldn't be bent:grin:

Anyway, thanks for this review and stay safe

Welcome and great catch!  Time to write to TLG for petition then. 

7 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

ROTFLMAO

or, as most Gen-Z will say, "I'm dead"  :grin:

5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

That side view killed me! :laugh_hard::thumbup:

See, this is what I am talking about. 

4 hours ago, The Reader said:

:laugh_hard:

I really like the hidden function - I will change mine in the tan version which is much more versatile IMHO.

True that! I support you.

2 hours ago, raised said:

Sick Review. 10/10 for informativity, if that's a word. Thanks for sharing and keep the community up an running!

I'll add this to my vocabularity. You're welcome!

2 hours ago, Rijkvv said:

Thanks for the review. While it seems a nice set, I had to vote "poor" based on the horrible price per piece ratio, €8,- per piece is just too much for me.

I knew it!

Can't make everyone happy.

2 hours ago, Merlict said:

While this set is a masterpiece once built, I feel like it's far too challenging for the 4+ bracket recommended on  the package. 

I'd really like to see it labelled as a 16+ Expert set as it may cause extreme frustration in younger builders.

Oh wow. I didn't notice that. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, bitbamboo said:

Day 1 purchase for me. I would have missed the set without this awesome review

At your service.

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

Hilarious! I knew this had to be more of a joke review, but I didn't get the full context till your lack-of-minifigures comment said to look at the date. Well played!

I thought that the hidden feature is a dead give away already. :tongue:

8 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Thanks for the review @makoy . Unfortunately, this set has one of the worst price-per-piece ratios in history and I'm afraid that Big Brick has bamboozled us yet again :wall:

Welcome and you're definitely right. That's why it didn't get a perfect value score.

Fantastic review, best I read in months.

This is clearly a "Must Buy" for my collection, I was on the fence looking at the official marketing photos (they just don't do the set justice) but you review clinched it for me.

BTW, I suspect the concept of Schrödinger's Lego kit shall be with me for life now...  Thanks for that.

This reminds me of my Blue Baseplate witch is still in it's package for some reason. Maybe because I got a couple of Green Baseplates too and they are out of their packages. :def_shrug: 

Lame. I've seen MOCs on the web that are much better. Not realistic at all. And indeed way too expensive, look at that price per piece ratio!

Edited by jfbat

This is the single greatest review of any Lego set made by anyone. Thank you very much for this milestone in Lego reviews.

This is hilarious in its level of detail, but speaking seriously, having baseplates in a color as neutral as white is great. I noticed on my last trip to the Lego store (well before this pandemic had reached the stage it's at now) that Lego was using the white baseplates as blank "canvases" for their Dots building station for the kids, which is a great use for them. And of course it's also great for scenes that require a white base—I could see these being a popular choice to pair with the Winter Village sets or Lego City arctic explorers. Even just on its own... so bright and minimalist!