HorcikDesigns

[TC18] Tatra T87 (Streamline) - Finished

Here is my entry for the contest - Streamlined TATRA T87. 
It has openable engine cover, working steering and theoretically also swingarm suspension in the back. The front hood cover is also detachable, and it hides the reserve wheel.
It is built from approxiamately 950 parts.

INSTRUCTIONS: (full PDFguide) https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-43900/Horcikdesigns/tatra-t87/#comments 

Hope you like it!

800x503.jpg 

800x450.jpg
800x540.jpg

800x450.jpg
800x599.jpg

800x440.jpg

800x540.jpg

800x595.jpg

Well, 

I would like to present you my first sketch assembly of my model for TC18. I would like to build streamline Tatra 87-like vintage car. I am not sure whether I'll make exact scale model or just a model inspired by the real thing. Time will show. For now, I have photo of rear section. It is not final. I really look forward to compare it with my (still assembled) T603 MOC. (can be found in scale modelling subforum) 

Enjoy! 

Edited by HorcikDesigns

24 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Iconic car, nice choice! Will follow this with interest.

Thanks, I'll try not to disappoint you. :classic:

Never heard of that before so had to google it. Front looks like a beetle with a concept streamline rear end. Strange but cool car.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

Never heard of that before so had to google it. Front looks like a beetle with a concept streamline rear end. Strange but cool car.

That is confusing, a bit off topic, what about Mercedes-Benz 540k streamliner, or BMW 328Kamm or Hispanio-Suiza H6 Dubbonet Coupe... there are so many streamliner beauties from late 1930s... but to make this lines with LEGO I don't know how 

Looking forward to see Tatra :thumbup:

Thank you, @Seasider and @I_Igor. It will probably be just some Tatra-inspired mockup (parts inspired by T77, T87, T97 and T600 and other streamliners) , but I'll try my best to choose just one of them. 

Update time! 

The front will be real challenge to make right. I also play with idea of rebuilding the chassis, rework the rear suspension and add the fake engine (at least radiator fan and belts connected to the wheels. 

That would also mean rework of the steering. Another idea is to not include suspension, and make propper fake engine. 

What would you prefer? 

I would try to put at least take engine (and differential) inside. Front part would be real challenge because to make correct shape you should use bricks (actually arches...)

38 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I would try to put at least take engine (and differential) inside.

+1

Rear-placed engine was a distinct feature in these Tatra cars, and a novelty back in those days. Feels wrong if it were not to have that...

Edited by Rudivdk

5 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

+1

Rear-placed engine was a distinct feature in these Tatra cars, and a novelty back in those days. Feels wrong if it were not to have that...

The only thing that worries me is what will front part look like, to add little help, cars that had single headlights like Tatra, BMW 328, Mercedes Benz 540K...untill 1950s Ferraris have front headlights with 22.5cm diameter and in that scale (based on 43.2 tires is 1:15) can be representing with 2 studs round dish...

14535.png

Well, I'll reconsider the engine, but that means that I might have to sacrifice both halfaxles, such a high price. :look: 

The front end will definitelly be built partially from regular bricks, maybe also some hoses. 

I have not checked the scale yet. If the lights will be too big, the car will get slightly cartoony look. It might be ok, but if not, there won't be any lights. 

Well you will make what is the best possible when moment approaches

Do you have pics of your rear axle? Or do you not want to share it yet? Halfaxles sounds like an interesting setup, might outweigh a working engine from engineering perspective (since the engine will probably be a non-accurate mini-engine...) You could also mock-up an engine with some system bricks...

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Well you will make what is the best possible when moment approaches

That's right, although the moment right after would it be done even better. :devil:

3 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Do you have pics of your rear axle? Or do you not want to share it yet? Halfaxles sounds like an interesting setup, might outweigh a working engine from engineering perspective (since the engine will probably be a non-accurate mini-engine...) You could also mock-up an engine with some system bricks...

Yes, I plan to make engine replica with system bricks. The only photo of current halfaxle setup is this:

800x600.jpg

It can not be wider, because of collision with the body. 

It's a bit too small and covered up to exactly see how it all works, but I get the idea. I'd say: leave the axles as is and mock up an engine:thumbup:

This looks stunning! 

It's such a unique vehicle and the black color works great too! 

I did something on the back of the car. What do you think? 

Now it's time to slowly move to the interior. 

On 4/7/2020 at 10:12 AM, TGBDZ said:

This looks stunning! 

It's such a unique vehicle and the black color works great too! 

Thank you very much! 

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Your photos in this topic don't work for me in Firefox, but looking on Instagram, I really like you creation. You captured the lines of the real car well. I am curious if other body colours would make it pop out a bit more. Nice work!

Thank you. I tested the image visibility it only on Chrome. 

I would like to build the car in LBG, but I doubt all parts are available (or reasonably affordable) in that colour. I will probably be making 3D model of it, so then I could tesr other colours.