@letsbuild would it somehow be possible to use these above the front wheels? They are thin and have a little curve in them so your front end would only be off by a little...

Lego Technic, Panel Curved 3 x 5 x 3

2 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

@letsbuild would it somehow be possible to use these above the front wheels? They are thin and have a little curve in them so your front end would only be off by a little...

Lego Technic, Panel Curved 3 x 5 x 3

IMG_20200522_162901

I thought about it, but the pin hole on "top" prevents it from getting too close to the top of the wheel :/

IMG_20200522_162912

Otherwise it would work great there. I've been thinking of 3D-printing some parts that would do the job now the contest is over. We'll see how far that idea goes.

15 hours ago, Qukie said:

I was trying to recreate part of it based on the photos so an instruction would be nice 

Well, good news for you, I've started progress on the virtual model. You can follow the progress as I do by clicking this link: https://mecabricks.com/en/models/PkaJ6z0gaxM
It'll update as I build.

Here's where I'm at right now: 

McLaren Virtual Progress

3 minutes ago, Pauls Technic said:

I have loved following the progress of this, the results speak for themselves.

Glad to hear you enjoy the model!

Thank you all for your patience, it's been over two months since I last touched this project (holy moly time flies. so much has changed in my life).

I've finally finished the 3D model: https://mecabricks.com/en/models/PkaJ6z0gaxM

The MOC is currently waiting to be approved on Rebrickable, so I'll post a link once that's set.

Thank you everyone for your support, I hope you enjoy the model. if you have any questions, ask them here or on rebrickable and I'll do my best to respond.

Edited by letsbuild

Thank you for your work @letsbuild I was following the project at mecabricks and now I am missing a few pieces but will build the F1 soon as it is great :) 

10 hours ago, Qukie said:

Thank you for your work @letsbuild I was following the project at mecabricks and now I am missing a few pieces but will build the F1 soon as it is great :) 

Thank you for your patience, I took longer than I was expecting. Please take pictures of the model once you build it, I can't wait to see!

@letsbuild I did build part of the chassis and was waiting for the remaining parts to arrive. In the meantime we bought a house from a developer and that turned to be a pain as we are just starting to renovate/finish it and were hoping to live there by Christmas 2020... Long story short, all my Lego is in boxes and waiting for us to move in about 5-6 months. I do have the model in my favourites in the browser and have to build it together with the Senna. Expect pictures in the autumn of 2021 ;)

@letsbuild soooo after many months I believed that I have all of the parts ready and sorted for the build. I was wrong and had to go through my boxes a few times more. Nevertheless I strted building thanks to the model at mecabricks and soon had some front and rear, After that I made one side and later the other to complete the whole car. Despite not having some system parts and flex axles the F1 looks great. I allowed myself to implement a different front diffuser and lamps. Now I am waiting for the purchase of the Senna to have comparison to the TLG creation. I will do some better quality photos then ;) Thank you @letsbuild for a great build and the 3D model.

RP3Ohjb.jpg

nWvSYnw.jpg

FDAQuCw.jpg

OrYmBSk.jpg

Rr3BSrD.jpg

Wow @Qukie that looks awesome! I can't wait to see it next to the Senna, I think it'll look pretty cool. 

I notice your creativity with the front splitter, looks good!
How easy did you find the build process to be?

Hey @letsbuild it was my first time building with a 3D model so I had to take my time with it to disassemble each part to see what was underneath and rebuild it in real life. Maybe there is a way to start from zero in the program but I did not look for it. The build is fairly simple if the builder takes care and stays focused, however a few elements around the back and front suspension required extra care and attention ;)

Next photos with the Senna 

On 2/12/2021 at 12:10 PM, Qukie said:

Hey @letsbuild it was my first time building with a 3D model so I had to take my time with it to disassemble each part to see what was underneath and rebuild it in real life. Maybe there is a way to start from zero in the program but I did not look for it. The build is fairly simple if the builder takes care and stays focused, however a few elements around the back and front suspension required extra care and attention ;)

Next photos with the Senna 

Yes, I agree that these aren't "instructions" as much as they're a guide. I don't think Mecabricks has a system for auto-generating instructions, but seeing as there's so little interest I didn't bother putting the effort into hand-making the instructions.

How are you finding the suspension?

On 2/13/2021 at 3:45 AM, Sherlockian said:

Great effort! The rear part resembles more to a Senna. Look forward to seeing the final result!

Thank you!
You may be disappointed to hear that this is the finished product..

On 2/17/2021 at 5:51 AM, letsbuild said:

Yes, I agree that these aren't "instructions" as much as they're a guide. I don't think Mecabricks has a system for auto-generating instructions, but seeing as there's so little interest I didn't bother putting the effort into hand-making the instructions.

How are you finding the suspension?

It is 100% enough to build the F1.

The suspension is good but not perfect to be honest. The front works fine provided there are strong enough rubber-bands involved. The rear, because of the use of those thin 1x3 beams et the ends, seems to be much more delicate. Nevertheless I wanted it because of the looks and that is great :) 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:15 AM, Qukie said:

It is 100% enough to build the F1.

I'm happy to hear that!

On 2/18/2021 at 7:15 AM, Qukie said:

The suspension is good but not perfect to be honest. The front works fine provided there are strong enough rubber-bands involved. The rear, because of the use of those thin 1x3 beams et the ends, seems to be much more delicate. Nevertheless I wanted it because of the looks and that is great :) 

Yeah, the front is kind of weak, and I had some time spent to fine-tune which rubber bands to use. Ideally, I would have the rear hubs 3D-printed as they are weak indeed. I tried out a few options, but nothing fit the width of the car *and* kept drive.

I'm happy the looks were good enough for you heh