PhoenixWright

What are the most interesting and/or educational technic function sets?

I’m just getting started with technic and recently built 42110 Land Rover. I ordered it immediately after I saw that I could learn a bit about how transmissions and differentials work. I plan to get the other “ultimate” sets but am realizing there are other facets of mechanical knowledge to be had - other types of movement than just standard automobiles, like the complex construction equipment movements and their features. For instance, I am very interested in 8455 Backhoe Loader for its functions and especially the pneumatics. I’d love to see other inspiring usage of pneumatics and different/varied technic functions.

I know grohl666 has recommended 42040 fire plane for its technic functions and design. I’ve seen 42043 Arocs recommended for its more modern pneumatics (v2?). 

To gain a better variety of technic functions I wanted to get opinions on what else I should look at. What are the sets I should look at for learning varying and interesting technic functions?

Edited by PhoenixWright

Definitely recommend 42043, it's by far the best Technic set in history. Another close rival is the 8880, but good luck finding that anywhere.

A list of all the sets I'd recommend looking at for interesting functions in order of release, along with why they're cool:

• 8880 Super Car (cool H-shifter gearbox)
  • 8460 Pneumatic Crane Truck (pneumatics)
  • 8442 Pneumatic Log Loader (same)
  • 8480 Space Shuttle (same, opening payload bay)
  • 8459 Pneumatic Front-End Loader (same)
  • 8455 Back-Hoe (100% pneumatics)
  • 8416 Forklift (cool mechanism)
  • 8421 Mobile Crane (6 wheel steering and crane)
  • 8288 Crawler Crane (realistic cable rigging)
  • 8295 Telescopic Handler (large crane arm with 4-wheel steering and engine)
  • 8258 Crane Truck (cool knuckle crane)
  • 8265 Front Loader (interesting vehicle, linear actuators)
  • 8043 Motorized Excavator (kick-megablocks RC excavator with cool drive mechanism and gearbox)
  • 8049 Tractor with Log Loader (pneumatics)
  • 8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U400 (second-best pneumatic set ever, motorized compressor, dual solid axle suspension)
  • 9396 Helicopter (collective pitch rotor control, but no cyclic)
  • 9398 4x4 Crawler (RC, dual solid axle suspension)
  • 42005 Monster Truck (cool dual solid axle suspension in a medium set)
  • 42006 Excavator (interesting grabber mechanism, distribution gearbox, 8043-lite)
  • 42009 Mobile Crane (large 5-axle mobile crane, 8-wheel steering, multiple distribution gearboxes, one of my fav sets ever)
  • 42021 Snowmobile (interesting vehicle, fully sprung suspension)
  • 42038 Arctic Truck (very unique vehicle, dual solid axle suspension with cool mini crane on back)
  • 42042 Crawler Crane (interesting vehicle, distribution gearbox with track drive)
  • 42048 Race Kart (interesting vehicle, 2-speed gearbox)
  • 42052 Heavy Lift Helicopter (coaxial rotor, funky cargo bay)
  • 42053 Volvo EW160E (pneumatics)
  • 42054 CLAAS Xerion 5000 (interesting vehicle, clever steering mechanism)
  • 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator (very interesting vehicle, kinda sluggish functions though, massive distribution gearbox, crazy awesome once modded to work properly)
  • 42066 Air Race Jet (interesting vehicle, VTOL functions, distribution gearbox)
  • 42078 Mack Anthem (interesting container crane trailer)
  • 42082 Rough Terrain Crane (large distribution gearbox, 4-wheel steering, giant crane fully extended)
  • 42100 Liebherr R 9800 (need I say more?)
  • 42105 Catamaran (unique vehicle, cool sails and rudders)
Edited by Bartybum
Refined list

Somehow I never learn from official sets while assembling them.

I learn new technics later as soon as it's necessary for my current MOCs.

To the point of absurdity, recently I have created a topic about use an XL-motor for propulsion, instead of simply searching how it works in the Lego sets that I own!

Edited by Parazels

In my opinion you should not use the Land Rover to learn how to build LEGO transmissions. Its the worst LEGO transmission in any LEGO set ever. Noone wants like 4 additional universal joints in their drivetrain.

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

In my opinion you should not use the Land Rover to learn how to build LEGO transmissions. Its the worst LEGO transmission in any LEGO set ever. Noone wants like 4 additional universal joints in their drivetrain.

Even worse than in the 911 and Chiron??

28 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Even worse than in the 911 and Chiron??

Yes, they dont work well, but they can teach you how to build a normal sequential 4-/ 8-speed sequential transmission. The porsche is outdated (no wave selector) , and the chiron could be improved upon. But you can build, and there have been built some transmissions similar to the Porsche/Chiron that work well.

The Land Rover on the other hand... There is so much axles and friction produced for just a 4 speed, using universal joints insted of gears... There is nothing to improve upon this, it will never work flawlessly with low friction.

Edited by Gray Gear

5 hours ago, Parazels said:

Somehow I never learn from official sets while assembling them.

I learn new technics later as soon as it's necessary for my current MOCs.

To the point of absurdity, recently I have created a topic about use an XL-motor for propulsion, instead of simply searching how it works in the Lego sets that I own!

I'm on the same boat with you.

It is good to build some sets to get your part knowledge up to a certain level. Then I find it better to work on your own models to progress further.

7 hours ago, Dylan M said:

8043 is simply the best! 

Seconded - 8043 is a super interesting model. Not too huge, but has a load of stuff happening inside, and very little unused space. Six (!) motorized functions. A joy to build.

I also agree on 42043, even though I don't even own that. Besides pneumatics you also learn a lot about suspension. It's as far as I know the only 8-wheeled set with full suspension, and both front axles are steering.

Another gem is 8258, the crane truck. The innards are a bit messy but it's great to see how all the crane functions are driven, and how frames are used to add structural rigidity to a long model.

For newer sets I don't really know. I'm not much of a Technic set buyer anymore since I already have most of the parts. Most recent set was the Chiron, because of the color, the gearbox and the fact I didn't own any 1:8 cars so was curious how that was built. But the chassis has a lot of redundancy and the marriage produces a structural weakspot, and the gearbox is about the least educational ever because it's such a mess.

Another, somewhat older, set I want to mention is 8448. I find it better than 8880 because the suspension is much softer and actually works, it's more part-efficient/optimized (not a single part is redundant, at least in the chassis), it has a modular buildup (which is very educational), and it has wing doors using damped springs. As a bonus, can put the fake engine either front or rear. But I predict that this set is very hard to find. Also, the wheels are very specialized and may not be everyone's taste. Same for the very open bodywork. It's great for showing the innards and keeping the weight down, but it's not what we're used to today.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Another, somewhat older, set I want to mention is 8448.

Seconded!

If you live in a more populated area, you have a good chance of finding good deals on classic Technic sets by patiently checking and re-checking your local advertising website (like craigslist?). I only started collecting Technic since a year ago, and managed to get 8448, 8455 and 42043 over the course of several months, all from locals, at relatively low price. The trick I found is to search not by set number, but by other descriptive keywords, as well as common misspellings thereof! Then you find sellers who don't know how to advertise Lego properly and are often not aware of how classic a certain set is and how much they could've asked for it...

If you want a relatively cheap set that showcases a lot of functional principles, I heartily recommend 42025!

It has some motorized, some manual control. It utilizes both a function gearbox and directly operated levers. It transmits motion both by gears and by linkages. And it only consists of parts of high general usage value in very usable colours.

And, despite its average piece count, is huge and impressive when finished.

One of my personal all-time favourites!

I had the same question when I left my Dark Age...8069 is the one that REALLY pulled me in! Compact, excellent design, fun, great build experience and relatively inexpensive. Others from the same era that I bought and enjoyed were 8070, 8109, and 8110. 

12 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Definitely recommend 42043, it's by far the best Technic set in history. Another close rival is the 8880, but good luck finding that anywhere.

A list of all the sets I'd recommend looking at for interesting functions in order of release, along with why they're cool:

• 8880 Super Car (cool manual transmission, adjustable ride height, 4-wheel steering)

I didn't know the 8880 had adjustable ride height, are you sure on this?

Edited by SNIPE

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Another gem is 8258, the crane truck

First set after my dark ages... love that set.

2 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I didn't know the 8880 had adjustable ride height, are you sure on this?

Oh my bad nope it doesn’t, it was just a mod

Thanks for all the replies guys, I seriously appreciate it! You’ve given me a bunch of leads to research. I’m really glad that the community is welcoming to those coming out of the dark ages.

I’ll definitely be taking the advice to monitor local marketplaces as well. Currently I’m just monitoring on “technic” but I’m guessing I can score some stuff with other clever searches. 

2 hours ago, PhoenixWright said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I seriously appreciate it! You’ve given me a bunch of leads to research. I’m really glad that the community is welcoming to those coming out of the dark ages.

I’ll definitely be taking the advice to monitor local marketplaces as well. Currently I’m just monitoring on “technic” but I’m guessing I can score some stuff with other clever searches. 

Check out also http://technicopedia.com/index.html

There you can find a lot of interesting technical information about Technic sets, mainly older (pre-2000) as it hasn't been updated in a while.

Off the top of my head, this would be my vote:

8043 Excavator (the only full-RC set that includes a gearbox to multiply functions)
42043 Arocs (very realistic model with full suspension and twin steer functions, plus pneumatics)
42054 Class (Very unique set with multi-mode steering and rotating cabin---this was the last Technic set I've purchased)
8258 Crane Truck (Uniquely designed gearbox with gear and axles mounted vertically--my first set coming out of my dark ages)
8109 Low Loader Tow Truck (One of the most underrated sets, IMHO.  I bought it on sale, and really ended up liking the set.  The lowering suspension was unexpected, and the tow forks had a very clever retract/unfold mechanism)
42009 Mobile Crane MKII (fun build, five axles, multi stage boom, etc.  The slow and problematic stabilizers gave the set some negativity, but it's a fun build with lots of gears)

I haven't purchased a Technic set in a while now though, and I can't really comment on any of the newer sets.  I don't build stuff just to display, and I find I have just about all the pieces I need to MOC now.  None of the newer Technic sets strike my fancy anyway, and they've just gotten to the point where they cost more than I want to pay.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

We definitely should look for the most educational sets among sets of late 80s and 90s.

It was a really innovative time when we got pneumatics, compressor, suspension, flex system, airtank, electric functions, gearbox, differential, piston engine etc.

All the modern sets just keep using the existing technologies.

Edited by Parazels

Personally i think there are some small sets which are excellent as well, 42007, 42036 and 42063 all perfectly capture the essence and working of a motorbike, and 42063 has shaftdrive and telelever front suspension rather then the usual telescopic.

42075 also is a very good set imho, not educational for AFOLs, but for kids it pretty much has every element you have in a car, piston engine, live rear axle with suspension and diff etc..