Captain Green Hair

[MOC] Amsterdam in the seventies

Hi guys,

After days, weeks, months..no YEARS of building my Amsterdam diorama is finally 100% complete. Some of you might have seen this at Brickmania Antwerp last December, but it was missing a few trans blue cheeses there lol. It depicts the city in the early seventies, you can see hippies and disco dudes. Another great sign of this age is the old rickety warehouse being transformed into luxury appartments. The diorama includes many little scenes, I'll explain with the pictures below.

After this post I'll see if I can display it in a public place  for a while, or sell the entire thing. Otherwise I might do one last show and then will recycle it to make new things.

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

First off an overal shot, unfortunately I could not get it any sharper with the camera's I have on hand right now;

49712128978_92387f3a97_k.jpg

Next up the back of the buildings, nothing too special but still;

49712662671_ed9d4f6a54_k.jpg

Some detail on the rear;

49712662086_186562c781_k.jpg

Cops 'n robbers;

49712985682_7053fa0f01_k.jpg

The old buildings in Amsterdam have really small staircases and this is why most of the furniture is still moved through the windows;

49712126368_0edcf5108f_k.jpg

In the street corner we find a typical Dutch street organ with an operator asking for coins;

49712984022_075927e514_k.jpg

On the newly created roof patio a couple enjoys their free time;

49712658811_04f418af3c_k.jpg

On the other corner roof a guest from outer space has landed, or are we seeing things from all the smoking;

49712982317_3744f02ed4_k.jpg

Definitely some shady business going on in this corner stairwell;

49712657581_f721d83d5c_k.jpg

If you have to go, you have to go. Don't fall in though, some people die that way every year..

49712981147_90694629d1_k.jpg

Besides the warehouse we can see some more construction works and the owner of the houseboat smoking a big fatty;

49712980362_23a8dcb73f_k.jpg

A bit more detail on the warehouse to show the delapitation and the old commercial signs which were painted onto the buildings;

49712655961_2fc718c87b_k.jpg

And some detail on the other corner, which is an excisting building on the ''Prinseneiland'' by the way, not all buildings are 100% based on excisting ones;

49712121178_4f9dd34701_k.jpg

The corner cafe on the right has a full interior, there are some other bits of interior but not as detailed as this;

49712978782_3fcc36e5ec_k.jpg

Some interior works in the side of the warehouse to make it look more appealing from that side;

49712653761_29175cefe0_k.jpg

Hey is that Elvis riding by? Also note the lock on the bycicle just hanging from the railings, a sight we also seee often besides all the bikes actually in the water. Be carefull were you jump in in case you do feel like swimmimg.

49712977252_71ae8ae51b_k.jpg

The 1940's blue tram is powered by powerfunctions;

49712652176_dfc77ee110_k.jpg

In a city with as much water as Amsterdam you off course see a lot of boats. First one is this ''Tjalk'' a cargo ship from around 1900 which is now used as a houseboat;

49712117523_0821931401_k.jpg

Next up is the ''salonboot'used to sail tourist around the canals. These are also oftenn owned by luxury hotels to transport their guests;

49712975082_ee48427523_k.jpg

Last but not least is the ''bakdek kruiser'' a small yacht with a low nose to be able to go under the bridges. In the front is a cabin with beds, kitchen etc. This is actually my favourite type of yacht;

49712650036_167d99deaa_k.jpg

Lastly I made one of those facade pictures I often see tourist make, perhaps you fancy it;

49712973707_c9c3e25103_k.jpg

What an awesome build!! The buildings and boats are all fantastic but it's the little details that I really love (especially the old advertising signs on the warehouse, the workman in the hole mending the pipe and the guy "polluting" the river!!)

Excellent work - Thanks for sharing.

I think it's indeed 'typical' Amsterdam. Very recognizable :classic:
It's a great scenery. Alone the houses and stuff looks great already. And then there are a lot of details to see too. Some are very funny also like that hippie smoking and that ufo on the roof "or are we seeing things from all the smoking" I think I know what smoking :wink:
the Renovation of the Heineken building is great too with that tube leading to the container.

Oh my goodness, Capt, this is gorgeous! Such beauty and life in every building, detail, and minifigure. I absolutely cherish this build! The old red brick warehouse is my favorite, but everything here is breathtaking! I also love the old windows in the tram. Great job again, and I'm going to go take another look! :laugh:

This is awesome. Very recognizable. Full with funny details. Good idea to use the cheese slopes for the water. 

Absolutely fantastiic. I don't know where to start. So many wonderful and clever details that are done so well. For some reason what really stood out for me was the semi worn out sign at the warehouse. A very simple but totally effective method.

Man, it's so much good stuff there it's overwhelming. I need to look and it all and just soak it all up! 

Amazing amount of details and lovely scenes! I especially like the one with a couple making love ha-ha :)

13 hours ago, georgeaxe2000 said:

amazing! you should convert the car to a flodder car with sjonnie and kees

Interesting, I had the same thought when I saw that car :laugh:

Amazing work indeed, thx for showing @Captain Green Hair

15 hours ago, georgeaxe2000 said:

Hide contents

:drool:

That would be fun, but also an anachronism. Flodder is mid 80's, wouldn't quite fit a 70's build. Unless you add Doctor Who's time machine :)

23 hours ago, georgeaxe2000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

:drool:

Great idea, just you wait (might take a while)!?

And thank you all for the nice comments, I'm glad you like it!

I was one of the lucky thousands to see it in the real.

'No touching' rules on such events what they are, I'm happy to see detail photos of your great display. For example I definitely didn't remember the peeing guy and the happy couple.

O My! this is just Amazing!!! the details are just perfect

the man taking a leak! is my favorite

greetings!

This is a lovely display. The architectural details are amazing. I know this type of Dutch houses is very typical for the northern Europe, and liking that kind of buildings in general, it's always nice to see it brick built. In addition to the realistic architecture, a large amount of funny details adds yet another perspective. Is peeing in public even alowed? *huh*

On 4/8/2020 at 8:43 PM, Redhead1982 said:

This is a lovely display. The architectural details are amazing. I know this type of Dutch houses is very typical for the northern Europe, and liking that kind of buildings in general, it's always nice to see it brick built. In addition to the realistic architecture, a large amount of funny details adds yet another perspective. Is peeing in public even alowed? *huh*

No it isn't, I think the fine these days is about 150 euros.:wink: