JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

Here is the original Studio file I did on previous pages. You will see that i tried to group sections together for you to build it better. For reference, you cans ee many of the photos for the file in my bricksafe page. 
Barracuda Galleon Studio Download

Barracuda_4long_01.jpg

The one thing I did that isnt historically accurate was do the main deck cannon ports above the bracers. The ship felt better at this scale to have them inserted here and it hides them well. The are where the rigging attaches are easy to subtract and modify that area to fit the standard LEGO plastic rigging. 

I wish LEGO created a newer stern part or split it into a top and base like the front boat hull pieces. 

On 2/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I'm interested.

I'm also interested in seeing some renders of the version you are working now.

I keep going back and forth on so many issues with the ship. I like the ship I build above, it fits well with the other system ships, but I keep trying to build a full ship with 3 to 4 decks and still fit within the same scale.

I am struggling with making hard decisions. I decided to make the ship a small-medium size galleon ship. 
1. Pre-fab stern hull or brick-built stern hull. I widened the ship by 2 bricks on the lower sides. I used the curved sloped to help establish that curve effect. They raise the ship almost 2 studs higher. The water line should be where the curved slopes begin and if I wanted to display the ship "sitting above water" i would probably need to create a baseplate design so the ship would sit on the table at the correct height above water. The newer prefab hull pieces make this work perfectly, except we do not have a new stern piece that splits. I like this brick-built stern shape if I were to not use the older bow and stern pieces. It would also allow me to use all new reddish brown parts and keep the color consistent.  Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls3.jpg

The shape of the brick-built stern looks fine at most angles. I am not sure if wedge plates and tiles will, have not focused on finishing it yet.  Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls3_2.jpg

2. The rear half of the ship profile bugs me to death. I never liked the older design I did because it was too tall in the back. Every blueprint I have of 17th century galleon ships Almost every single cross section shows the interior height about 5 to 6 ft tall. The quarter deck area usually is shoulder length so around 4-5 ft tall. With this said, I gutted the entire ship to work with this idea and i struggle with adding a navigation room above the great cabin area since it would be tall enough. That is why the yellow sticks out further above the cabin. 

Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls2.jpg

Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls3_3.jpg

Barracuda_4long_wider_set43.jpg

Suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. 

Looking good @cehnot, give that first one it's one topic, and I reckon it's frontpage material. The other one us fabulous too... But I am a bit out of my depth.. Although it looks great with the Snot and custom hull. Keep it up! 

@cehnot

Thanks for the file!

About the small-medium size galleon, the ship looks fatty. In my eyes, it needs to become longer.
I think as a general rule, there is a direct correlation between ship length and height.

This custom hull is great! And I like how you made it a little bit wider.

Can you post a good quality picture of the front, from about a 45o angle?

On 3/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, cehnot said:

2. The rear half of the ship profile bugs me to death. I never liked the older design I did because it was too tall in the back. Every blueprint I have of 17th century galleon ships Almost every single cross section shows the interior height about 5 to 6 ft tall. The quarter deck area usually is shoulder length so around 4-5 ft tall. With this said, I gutted the entire ship to work with this idea and i struggle with adding a navigation room above the great cabin area since it would be tall enough. That is why the yellow sticks out further above the cabin. 

Posting some pictures of these designs you are referring, will make it easier to understand your problem. 

The one thing I did that isnt historically accurate was do the main deck cannon ports above the bracers. The ship felt better at this scale to have them inserted here and it hides them well. The are where the rigging attaches are easy to subtract and modify that area to fit the standard LEGO plastic rigging. 

I wish LEGO created a newer stern part or split it into a top and base like the front boat hull pieces. 

What's a "bracer"?

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

30 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

@cehnot

Thanks for the file!

About the small-medium size galleon, the ship looks fatty. In my eyes, it needs to become longer.
I think as a general rule, there is a direct correlation between ship length and height.

This custom hull is great! And I like how you made it a little bit wider.

Can you post a good quality picture of the front, from about a 45o angle?

Posting some pictures of these designs you are referring, will make it easier to understand your problem. 

What's a bracer?

You want a quality photo of the new ship I am working on from a top down 45 degree angle or similar to the other ship posted above?

I meant to say brace. The original ship was only 4 mid section hull pieces long. The ship was the same height as the System Set. That is why I abandoned the file I offered above. I started to make it 5 mid sections long and this felt right. Before the 1700s Galleon ships were extremely tall and short. By the time the Spanish Armada went to war with the British Galleon ships were getting bigger. I am not focusing on the Man of war ship line, but rather a more smaller trader vessel. These galleons were 3 to 4 decks tall. The English made race galleons which were shorter than the spanish fleet and basically cut the top poop deck off. This is where I am trying to decide what type of ship I am doing. The current file I am working with actually is more a race-built galleon without a poop deck or room for a navigation room. This was what I was having hard time deciding. How tall do i want it and every time i saw it with another room above the great cabin I struggled with looking at the thing and wondering if it was too heavy in the rear. Ultimately I decided to ignore the poop deck and navigation room and focus on adding a skylight like I showed earlier in the posts. So far I am trying to make the height of each deck about 4 to 5 bricks tall. The newer hull pieces with a brick-built stern gives me 2 studs longer to work with. It gives me the right amount of space to have 2 full beds with hanging drapes and also enough room to place the captains bed near the door in front of where the window is so i could make a 6 stud wide deck in the back. I like the idea of actually keeping the bed forward because most cabin designs of this era did not keep the beds towards the back because the charter desks would need the light from the windows. 

As for where I am n the new ship design:
Firs photo shows where the water line would be. I am still working on the walls and such, but this gives you an idea of the profile i am going for. The ship wheel location is also something i am trying to decide on what looks better. Right now Its not placed anywhere specific. I will likely place it in front of the Mizzen mast.  
Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls6_2.jpg

Top Vie of the ship looks okay. Width and length of it feels right. I have 2 boats on the ship, the prefabricated jolly boat and I made a smaller row boat to accompany it. 
Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls6.jpg
Here are some of my reference. These are my more frequently used reference when designing the ship. The Height above the water line is actually about the same if not shorter than the system set. When you

cross-section_02.jpg

cross_section_03.jpg

cross_section_04.jpg

f9317_001.jpg

gillis_crossection.jpg

hullspace_1500x551.gif

Naval-gunnery-cutout.jpg

cross_section_01.jpg

plShip.gif

spanishgalleoncutaway_0.gif

Spoiler
3 hours ago, cehnot said:

I meant to say brace. The original ship was only 4 mid section hull pieces long. The ship was the same height as the System Set. That is why I abandoned the file I offered above. I started to make it 5 mid sections long and this felt right. Before the 1700s Galleon ships were extremely tall and short. By the time the Spanish Armada went to war with the British Galleon ships were getting bigger. I am not focusing on the Man of war ship line, but rather a more smaller trader vessel. These galleons were 3 to 4 decks tall. The English made race galleons which were shorter than the spanish fleet and basically cut the top poop deck off. This is where I am trying to decide what type of ship I am doing. The current file I am working with actually is more a race-built galleon without a poop deck or room for a navigation room. This was what I was having hard time deciding. How tall do i want it and every time i saw it with another room above the great cabin I struggled with looking at the thing and wondering if it was too heavy in the rear. Ultimately I decided to ignore the poop deck and navigation room and focus on adding a skylight like I showed earlier in the posts. So far I am trying to make the height of each deck about 4 to 5 bricks tall. The newer hull pieces with a brick-built stern gives me 2 studs longer to work with. It gives me the right amount of space to have 2 full beds with hanging drapes and also enough room to place the captains bed near the door in front of where the window is so i could make a 6 stud wide deck in the back. I like the idea of actually keeping the bed forward because most cabin designs of this era did not keep the beds towards the back because the charter desks would need the light from the windows. 

As for where I am n the new ship design:
Firs photo shows where the water line would be. I am still working on the walls and such, but this gives you an idea of the profile i am going for. The ship wheel location is also something i am trying to decide on what looks better. Right now Its not placed anywhere specific. I will likely place it in front of the Mizzen mast.  
Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls6_2.jpg

Top Vie of the ship looks okay. Width and length of it feels right. I have 2 boats on the ship, the prefabricated jolly boat and I made a smaller row boat to accompany it. 
Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls6.jpg
Here are some of my reference. These are my more frequently used reference when designing the ship. The Height above the water line is actually about the same if not shorter than the system set. When you

cross-section_02.jpg

cross_section_03.jpg

cross_section_04.jpg

f9317_001.jpg

gillis_crossection.jpg

hullspace_1500x551.gif

Naval-gunnery-cutout.jpg

cross_section_01.jpg

plShip.gif

spanishgalleoncutaway_0.gif

Ok, now I get it why you built it the way you did (the version with 6 bottom row gun ports per side).

The 8 gun ports version, looks much better.

I think the small prefab boat in the middle contributes a lot to this perception of "fattiness".
In the schematics it seems to be at the same height as the top cannons row.
I don't know if this would be possible though, with the current width of the ship.

I always had the impression, and still do, that because of the size of the LEGO shooting cannons, an 18 stud width prefab hull piece will make much more sense.
Both in being more visually realistic and giving greater playability.

3 hours ago, cehnot said:

You want a quality photo of the new ship I am working on from a top down 45 degree angle or similar to the other ship posted above?

Yes.

Same quality as the one of the stern photo here, for proper scaling comparison purposes:

Barracuda_fix_prefab_hulls3_2.jpg

On 2/24/2021 at 6:34 AM, cehnot said:

I have retooled the entire ship since that model was designed. I gave up on widening the ship the way i talked about. I am on Version 44 now. I save a new file each time the program crashes and auto recovery occurs. I will gladly give away the Studio File for that model since I abandoned it. Anybody who wants the model I designed earlier this last year just let me know. 

Thank u for the fast reply, I'd gladly take a look at the studio file. 

@cehnot

Very nice galleon. The lots of additional information with photos about galleons are also very helpful and interesting.

I will have my newest version completed this week. It has 5 mid sections, a captain's cabin and officer quarters for the quartermaster and second mate in the rear. I used the various reference and information about galleon living to make the the forcastle interior living quarters for the next ranking officers so that all officers are on the main deck. Two capstans are located on this level. The gun level houses the connected second level capstans and crew quarters including the stove below the main cargo access hold in front of the main mast. The orlop deck contains the cargo and brig.

Hey there, stumbled over this thread a few moments ago and am still amazed by all those great contributions. Although it has been quite a while since it has been a hot topic I am wondering if it is still possible to receive a copy of the reverse-engineered pirate bay stud.io file? Perhaps one of the creators is still reading here and can make it accessible for me? :) It would make a great addition to my barracuda bay if I can manage to get a hand on all the necessary parts.

A combination of an Indiaman and Galleon. The rest of the photos and such are in a new Pirate Moc topic since this ship has now moved quite away from the original set. 
I present: The Seven Seas Barracuda
For More photos and info to come, please feel free to swing over to my Pirate Moc topic link below
The Seven Seas Barracuda Moc Link

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_03.jpg

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_02.jpg

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_01.jpg

MODULAR DESIGN

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_16.jpg

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_05.jpg

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_08.jpg
Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_13.jpg

Edited by cehnot

This is SOOOOOOO GOOOOODDDD! :pir-love:

@cehnot, I think you should open a new thread in MOCs category for your ship, where you can present it properly .

Here, your creation will be "lost" with the passage of time.

7 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

This is SOOOOOOO GOOOOODDDD! :pir-love:

@cehnot, I think you should open a new thread in MOCs category for your ship, where you can present it properly .

Here, your creation will be "lost" with the passage of time.

Good Idea, Modified the post and posted in the Pirate Moc Forum

Hi guys, I have designed my second alternate build for the island part of Lego 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX0EUo0vGM0

When building this set, you will discover a mini pirate world on an island. On shore, you will find a multilevel harbor cottage, including a stockroom, a gundeck, a living cabin and an outlook platform. When walking over the hanging bridge, you enter an ancient fortress, in which secrets may be found..

Check out the YouTube video and images, and I would really appreciate your comments/feedback!

The INTRUCTIONS will be available on Rebrickable.com soon!

51106364564_9fe661df49_b.jpg

51106619221_0259749c29_b.jpg

51106518683_619d752853_b.jpg

51106365809_8a0456eaf9_b.jpg

51107399085_10b0847415_b.jpg

51106365754_40f79557fe_b.jpg

Edited by StefanGDS

On 4/1/2020 at 8:21 PM, Robin_IV said:

I built a little ocean around the Set. I hope you like it.

Pirates%20of%20Barracuda%20Bay_Water_Mod

Set model from @Elusys Ra Arwal.

Can someone help me understand how those brick sails are connected to the mast?

1 hour ago, zinnn said:

Can someone help me understand how those brick sails are connected to the mast?

They simply aren't. Elusys just tried to recreate the look of the fabric sails with bricks; if I remember correctly, he built most of the digital model not from the instructions, but from the set photos. I think you could creatively try to connect them to the mast, but as they are in the render, it won't work. (I'm not even sure whether the parts used as "sails" are even available in these colours.)

23 minutes ago, Alazon said:

They simply aren't. Elusys just tried to recreate the look of the fabric sails with bricks; if I remember correctly, he built most of the digital model not from the instructions, but from the set photos. I think you could creatively try to connect them to the mast, but as they are in the render, it won't work. (I'm not even sure whether the parts used as "sails" are even available in these colours.) 

Ahh, thank you, appreciate your explanation. At first I didn't like them, but after my fourth time re-building the PoBB, I've noticed my cloth sails start looking a tiny bit worn around the edges. I thought maybe I could let them rest and add brickable sails :P

On 4/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, victorycount said:

Hey, no worries, I will mention you too then. As you already mentioned; I never knew anyone else was building on it, since I was starting the whole thing by myself(I think simultaneous with Brickander), and never had any contact to noone except for Brickander. So I just named him, and rainfall as Brickander sent me his captain's cabin.
But whatever. It is now finished, and anyone can contact me for the final stud.io file, and I'll give a link to the file. But as Brickander said he will do a last check for minor errors, I won't put it here for now.

As mentioned above, I can give you a link to my file.

Hi,

Can anybody please send me this file? I would be so happy to build the original model.

Thanks so very much and hats off to you guys for building it.

Is there any chance to Buy a parts list and manual to the original pirate Bay design? I like it alot more than the final lego product. 

Thanks alot and merry Christmas from Germany 

20220131_162235.jpg20220131_164616.jpg

Completely cleared the hull for Cannons and everything to compliment them. I poked out the windows and put the cannons on tiles with stoppers to keep them in place. Had some good fun with this one.

15 hours ago, IronMarshal1805 said:

20220131_162235.jpg20220131_164616.jpg

Completely cleared the hull for Cannons and everything to compliment them. I poked out the windows and put the cannons on tiles with stoppers to keep them in place. Had some good fun with this one.

This was a great idea to stop those cannons without being a major distraction. 

On 1/17/2022 at 2:28 PM, aurelius33 said:

This is amazing! Perhaps someone would be so kind as to send me the file. Love the work on the modded BSB also.

I'm not sure if this refers to my BSB or just all the ideas people ha e come up with as solutions. I think it's wonderful seeing all the mods to the original ship. Many gutted out the gun level to give more room to cannons and such. At this point my ship has evolved inbetween a mod and a moc I think since I chose to expand it into a galleon using so many different techniques. I think I'll share the final ship when completed. 

Hi all,

I'm late to the party, but I finally got this set for Christmas and once I built the "B model" ship I knew I wanted to do something with all the leftover island pieces.  If I'd seen this thread at the time I might have built one of the MOCs above instead, but I'm glad I spent the time to create my own!

Traders of Barracuda Cay 1Traders of Barracuda Cay 2

I built a "Traders' Cay" with a working crane to hoist cargo from a rowboat.

Traders' Cay - The Crane

Also features discreet treasure chest storage:

The Hidden Chest

And a gem buried by an unfortunate prisoner:

The Soldier's Gem

It's fun to have an island side-build for the pirates to interact with.

Attack on Traders' Cay 4

More pics on my Flickr!  What do you think?

Looks good, with lots of play features. 
At first i always found barracuda bay too colorful, but now i‘m pleased with the color choice.

Ya I get that some people would prefer a subtler colour scheme, but for a set aimed at kids (or adults nostalgic for classic Pirates) the bright colours are great.

1 hour ago, 20feet said:

Ya I get that some people would prefer a subtler colour scheme, but for a set aimed at kids (or adults nostalgic for classic Pirates) the bright colours are great.

Lego Pirates theme has always been very colourful (unless we are talking about PoTC), I think that Barracuda herself is subtly colourful, yellow railing and alike but rest is black and white, which seems proper for the time. 

Going a bit off-topic, Armada sets were (perhaps) unnecessary colourful in some instances:

6280-1.jpg

This one is white, blue, red, yellow and green (don't forget about the black masts)! :pir-grin: