JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

In the previous pages I posted some minor modifications to the bay, by either changing the colour of the white parts to reddish-brown, or by adding extra panels to the structures, to give a more planked and run-down look. I finished modifying some of those planked panels I made back in April and then I added other elements to the set, to make it look more complete.

Here are some pictures:

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_39aPirates of Barracuda Bay_40a

In order to enrich and, maybe, improve the look of the bay, I've added different parts to it:
1. The mid-section has had the addition of a back section with a couple of windows, a small balcony with swinging planked cover door and a sloped roof with more planks, vines and foliage.
2. The prison has got an additional roof with some plants on it.
3. The stairs and bridge that lead to the captain quarters have received a railing and some more flowers and vines.
4. The kitchen area now has got a balcony with broken planks.
5. The rooftop of the captain's cabin now has a shed that shields the cannon and makes the area look more finished.
6. More palm leaves, vines, flowers and plants have been added throughout this back area.

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_41a

Close-up view of the back of the mid-section with the additional windows, small balcony with swinging plank cover door and a sloped roof with more planks, vines and foliage.

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_42a

Closer perspective of the kitchen large balcony area, the new bridge with its railing, flowers and vines that leads to the cabin and, up on the rooftop, the new shed area.

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_44aPirates of Barracuda Bay_45a

Close-up of the shed on the captain's cabin.

And as a bonus some pictures of the whole modified set by night and by day.

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_47aPirates of Barracuda Bay_46aPirates of Barracuda Bay_51aPirates of Barracuda Bay_50a

Edited by Elusys Ra Arwal

Really good stuff, welcome inspiration - you really turned up the set to eleven! Do you think you could make the Stud.io file available to make mimicking your changes easier?

Edited by Alazon

7 hours ago, Alazon said:

Really good stuff, welcome inspiration - you really turned up the set to eleven! Do you think you could make the Stud.io file available to make mimicking your changes easier?

Thanks for "elevening" my additions! I can share the new file file, there's no problem about it.

Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlQl1MOk7t7SgRMvQaRVtEArOqJU?e=nDeJsP

On a side note, yesterday I worked on a new type of sail, to show off the weathering and the damage after 20+ years stranded on the island, so I made two version with a different color-scheme:

Version 1:

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_52a

The red stripes now are dark gray, while the white stripes are dark tan. This is because the elements have damaged the sails, broken them and their colors are no more the original ones. On real ships sails are almost never pure white, they always tend to a sort of light tan/light gray color, which gets stained and dirty because of the weather, so they turn darker and with patches of dark color all over them. So this is what I wanted to portray here, also since these have been hanging for 20+ years, their discoloration/mutation is even worse than on a regularly kept ship.

Version 2:

Pirates of Barracuda Bay_mod4b (reddish sail)_1a

In this version I tried to change the color-scheme with something more reminiscent the original red color, so I used a mixture of nougat and dark nougat, to give that faded-away look. I am still not sure of that color, but given the fact that there's not a color wheel in stud.io, I had to make do with what I had...

NB. If you click on the pictures you get redirected to my flikr page with more pictures of the bay

Edited by Elusys Ra Arwal

I plan on buying a second one for the ship so if more people has done that I would be interested in seeing how they combine the original island with the spare island parts from the second set :pir-classic:

On 10/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

Thanks for "elevening" my additions! I can share the new file file, there's no problem about it.

Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlQl1MOk7t7SgRMvQaRVtEArOqJU?e=nDeJsP

On a side note, yesterday I worked on a new type of sail, to show off the weathering and the damage after 20+ years stranded on the island, so I made two version with a different color-scheme:

Version 1:

The red stripes now are dark gray, while the white stripes are dark tan. This is because the elements have damaged the sails, broken them and their colors are no more the original ones. On real ships sails are almost never pure white, they always tend to a sort of light tan/light gray color, which gets stained and dirty because of the weather, so they turn darker and with patches of dark color all over them. So this is what I wanted to portray here, also since these have been hanging for 20+ years, their discoloration/mutation is even worse than on a regularly kept ship.

Version 2:

In this version I tried to change the color-scheme with something more reminiscent the original red color, so I used a mixture of nougat and dark nougat, to give that faded-away look. I am still not sure of that color, but given the fact that there's not a color wheel in stud.io, I had to make do with what I had...

NB. If you click on the pictures you get redirected to my flikr page with more pictures of the bay

That looks nice! I like how it is more rigid than paper/fabric sails, so you can pose them better imitating that they're flapping around in strong winds.

8 hours ago, Verodin said:

That looks nice! I like how it is more rigid than paper/fabric sails, so you can pose them better imitating that they're flapping around in strong winds.

Thanks! The only problem is they can't be built because the small flags overlap to some degree, but yes, their rigidity helps in the shaping and plasticity of their movement

Incredible builds and Mocs, everyone! I have a bit of an off the wall idea and want to see if anyone else has done anything similar?

When I look at the new Mos Eisley Cantina set, the opening in the middle plus the design of the roof just seem begging to be built on top of. Seeing the BB lighthouse build in this thread plus the 3-in-1 set’s alternate inn build makes me wonder what it would look like to build some massive pirate-y inn and boardwalk on top of the cantina, giving it a sort of tropical undercity effect.

Anybody seen an odd combination like this anywhere? I can’t help but think the colors would look really nice all together if designed well.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:03 PM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

In the previous pages I posted some minor modifications to the bay, by either changing the colour of the white parts to reddish-brown, or by adding extra panels to the structures, to give a more planked and run-down look. I finished modifying some of those planked panels I made back in April and then I added other elements to the set, to make it look more complete.

[...]

I just added most of your modifications to my build and I love them. Kudos to you for constructing them with mostly clips and to existing technic holes, that makes adding them (and removing them for play) a breeze. It's really stable and buildable too, something I'm not used to with most digital designs. :-) Keep up the great work!

IMG_20201126_084621.thumb.jpg.4f9838e7939178ffb2aa28e0dd1e4e62.jpg

IMG_20201126_084708.thumb.jpg.94537b3ba0f83573d0de135856210e3e.jpg

Edited by Alazon

2 hours ago, Alazon said:

I just added most of your modifications to my build and I love them. Kudos to you for constructing them with mostly clips and to existing technic holes, that makes adding them (and removing them for play) a breeze. It's really stable and buildable too, something I'm not used to with most digital designs. :-) Keep up the great work!

This is the most flattering thing ever! It made me happy and smile so much. Thank you very much!

I am glad that everything worked perfectly out and seeing it in picture is something else. Did you have to modify anything to make it work? For example the rooftop on the cabin, do you think it is stable enough? My point was, as you mentioned, the sturdiness of the additions and an easy removal process (which you can also see in the studio file), although you can't check it effectively in the program, even if I try to createit as "realistically buildable" as possible. I'm really, really thankful you shared these pictures and I NEED MORE! hahaha If and when (no hurry) you have time, I'd like a couple more angles and close-ups. You can just make a wetransfer link and send it privately if you don't want to share them here. Again, no hurry, no rush etc. :pir-huzzah2:

Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and i've spent the last 2 days reading posts and checking the amazing work you did "moding" barracuda bay.

@victorycount I was wondering if i could the .io file from the set you built that looks like the very original one.

Thank you very much

On 11/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

Did you have to modify anything to make it work? For example the rooftop on the cabin, do you think it is stable enough?

I made hardly any modifications. I did colour swap some pieces because I was eager to start building, so I will add more dark brown tiles, plants et cetera over the coming days and weeks when my next Bricklink orders arrive.

One thing I did change structurally was the pig's "sand pile" that extends into the bow. Using hinge bricks with jumpers and tiles seemed a bit fragile, so I grabbed some old Hinge Plate 1 x 2 with 2 Fingers (4276), combined it with its counterpart (2452) and enjoyed the small footprint and good stability of this part. (See last picture in my following gallery.)

The rooftop works brilliantly and is stable, thanks to the interlocking tiles - when I poke at the structure, the only thing moving is the Dark Tan wedge plate below from the original set, as it's only loosely attached in the original set. In fact, I like the cabin so much I would like to make another one for the other open deck (maybe adding some walls, similar to your construction that closes off the middle hull). Speaking of which - this is my favourite part of your modification, as it closes off the middle hull which is arguably on the doll house side of things in the original build.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

I'm really, really thankful you shared these pictures and I NEED MORE! hahaha If and when (no hurry) you have time, I'd like a couple more angles and close-ups.

Sure thing, here you go:

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

4 hours ago, Alazon said:

I made hardly any modifications. I did colour swap some pieces because I was eager to start building, so I will add more dark brown tiles, plants et cetera over the coming days and weeks when my next Bricklink orders arrive.

One thing I did change structurally was the pig's "sand pile" that extends into the bow. Using hinge bricks with jumpers and tiles seemed a bit fragile, so I grabbed some old Hinge Plate 1 x 2 with 2 Fingers (4276), combined it with its counterpart (2452) and enjoyed the small footprint and good stability of this part. (See last picture in my following gallery.)

The rooftop works brilliantly and is stable, thanks to the interlocking tiles - when I poke at the structure, the only thing moving is the Dark Tan wedge plate below from the original set, as it's only loosely attached in the original set. In fact, I like the cabin so much I would like to make another one for the other open deck (maybe adding some walls, similar to your construction that closes off the middle hull). Speaking of which - this is my favourite part of your modification, as it closes off the middle hull which is arguably on the doll house side of things in the original build.

Sure thing, here you go:

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

I am impressed and LOVE IT! I also love the little modifications in colour and I think they add even more diversity compared to what I did, especially the "wooden planks with nails", those are really cute and I should have added those in the model as well, but oh well! 
I like the mod to the sand pile, that looks indeed sturdier than what I did, so I might do that myself! About the roof, I am glad that it is sturdy and stable, that's great news, I only wish I could make it angled like the cabin and have more room, but that aside I love how it looks and that you actually built it, thank you for sharing the pictures! :pir-love:

I bought a second set to make the ship and made a dock of most of the extra parts, so the pirates can unload their loot there and bring it to the island. I am not a MOC builder, but think the MOD is decent after one days work :pir-huzzah1:
IMG-Pirates.jpg

Edited by Roebuck

(First post here, and first 'adult' lego set - I had the original BSB as a teenager)

Was blow away by this set but couldn't decide between island or ship so I bought a second set as well and modded the island part into an extension for the back of the island. This adds a nice tiled wall to the back part of Jose's Inn as well as extending the kitchen area to have an outdoors dining area. It also changes the thin prison cell into a proper prison below the kitchen area. Like the two original halves of the island this part is also just placed but it is easy to add the two grey 2x2 brick modified with pins that can snap into the bottom of the inn and kitchen ship hulls if required. Note you need to lift the rope ladder a bit to be able to fit the plate underneath (I detached it from the lowest grip)

I also added leftover parts to the roof of the captain's quarters (similar to what other people did here).

All of this was done with pieces from the 2nd set only. Most are from the island part but I also gutted the interior of the assembled Barracuda ship (where I installed cannons permanently) and I removed the original prison which no longer fit into the setup.

20210104-112053.jpg

20210104-112200.jpg

20210104-112233.jpg

A small and simple additional modification is to remove the table from the outdoor dining area and add a staircase that leads up to the captain's quarter (the height is just right) but there are 2 ways up there already if you count the rope ladder so I prefer the more open dining area instead.

That’s a great mod!  It’s so good to see all the different ideas and mods/Mocs people have been coming up with to both single and dual sets. I rated the set as my favorite build in 2020 and that’s saying something as I finally built the ucs Falcon as well which was epic but the bay was just so much fun also my introduction back into lego as an adult :) I’m hoping we see more this year but for now I’m happy 

Here’s the entire fleet including some of my childhood pirate sets my 5 year old son now plays with

50835530858_2668c7595f_c.jpgUntitled by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

Edited by Jez_AU

As hinted at earlier in the thread, I've built a green MOD of Barracuda Bay's ship form called the "Yago".

50878619568_7095d4f257_z.jpg

It can be seen in this thread here, for more pictures, with a LDD file for you all to enjoy. (NOTE: some parts are missing in the file see the thread for more details.)

50831786067_71ab207ecd_z.jpg

The green feathers of my parent's talkative pet bird, Yago, (actually a Nanday Conure we rescued 11 years ago) inspired me to name the ship after him. I also tried to think of a bird shaped figure-head for the bowsprit, but failed to think of a good way of doing it...

What do you think?

Edited by Murdoch17

That's a lovely looking ship! Now someone needs to do a more tasteful rendition of 31109 :)

On 2/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, Murdoch17 said:

As hinted at earlier in the thread, I've built a green MOD of Barracuda Bay's ship form called the "Yago".

50878619568_7095d4f257_z.jpg

It can be seen in this thread here, for more pictures, with a LDD file for you all to enjoy. (NOTE: some parts are missing in the file see the thread for more details.)

50831786067_71ab207ecd_z.jpg

The green feathers of my parent's talkative pet bird, Yago, (actually a Nanday Conure we rescued 11 years ago) inspired me to name the ship after him. I also tried to think of a bird shaped figure-head for the bowsprit, but failed to think of a good way of doing it...

What do you think?

You can find plain white replacement sails on eBay for the ship if you want. Several vendors have them for this set. I am purchasing a few double sided set of sails got my upcoming mod. 

On 8/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, cehnot said:

I will once I figure out the final ship. I have wanted to do a full set of rigging, but I may do it in 2 stages. The file was completed, but I am not sure how to separate out the parts from the original set. If anybody can tell me how to do this I will gladly offer this list. 

I was planning on doing the sails as if they were different fabric so wasn't sure how to get the sails a different color. I think I will use waterproof ink. 

Would you rather see rigging or lego style masts? I'll try to show the while ship. 

I just purchased 2 Pirates of Barracuda Bay sets from the official website. The second is for my stepson. I'm putting together a bricklink order for other pieces. 

Are u still planning on releasing your finished barracuda ship moc? So far it's the best Barracuda revamp I've come across.

16 hours ago, Jake77 said:

Are u still planning on releasing your finished barracuda ship moc? So far it's the best Barracuda revamp I've come across.

I have retooled the entire ship since that model was designed. I gave up on widening the ship the way i talked about. I am on Version 44 now. I save a new file each time the program crashes and auto recovery occurs. I will gladly give away the Studio File for that model since I abandoned it. Anybody who wants the model I designed earlier this last year just let me know. 

8 hours ago, cehnot said:

I have retooled the entire ship since that model was designed. I gave up on widening the ship the way i talked about. I am on Version 44 now. I save a new file each time the program crashes and auto recovery occurs. I will gladly give away the Studio File for that model since I abandoned it. Anybody who wants the model I designed earlier this last year just let me know. 

I'm interested.

I'm also interested in seeing some renders of the version you are working now.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus