JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

I have Pirates Safehouse, an alternate build for the island part of the official Lego set 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay.
The alternate build uses only parts of the island part, so the ship is still intact.

IMG_20200825_215823195-min.thumb.jpg.0eb5d3ae3acf3b896dfd05204f2746c6.jpg
When the shipwreck is converted to the ship, the island part looks unfinished and not so interesting, so I wanted to construct a cooler looking, more intriguing island. 
Therefore I designed an island which has lots of interesting elements. 

The island exists of a wooden safehouse, which is partially build into the existing terrain, consisting of rock and trees. Into a large rock piece, a door is made which leads to a small harbour. 

The Safehouse itself consists of a 2 story fortress. The first floor mainly is a safe bunker, from which hostile visitors can be taken under fire. From the first floor, there are to main stairs. One leads to a well-hidden canon platform just above the main door. The other leads to the officer's shelter. In this, you will find a bed, a table with compass and drinks and a balcony on which he can look over the endless seas..

However, the main door is not the only way to get into the Safehouse... In the trees to the left, when you remove some leaves, an ancient arch can be seen. When walking through this arch, you will find out that, after you have managed to pass the curtain of foliage, you found another way into the Safehouse... 

Please share your opinions and comments, which will help me improve this model. Also, please tell me if you like me to made a detailed instruction manual of this model!

Edited by StefanGDS

So after finishing my lighthouse addition to the left over bay island, I still had some spare bits so I made an island bar. Funnily enough it actually mates up well with the light house island and gives the patrons a chance to mock and laugh at the prison pier! 

50208325623_71785cb3be_c.jpgLighthouse and island bar by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50209127747_1d53a174c8_c.jpgLighthouse and island bar by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50208850001_10e2d5b9f8_c.jpgLighthouse and island bar by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50208849966_02ebea832f_c.jpgLighthouse and island bar by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50208849941_2b66fff286_c.jpgLighthouse and island bar by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

52 minutes ago, StefanGDS said:

I have Pirates Safehouse, an alternate build for the island part of the official Lego set 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay.
The alternate build uses only parts of the island part, so the ship is still intact.

When the shipwreck is converted to the ship, the island part looks unfinished and not so interesting, so I wanted to construct a cooler looking, more intriguing island. 
The island exists of a wooden safehouse, which is partially build into the existing terrain, consisting of rock and trees. Into a large rock piece, a door is made which leads to a small harbour. 
The Safehouse itself consists of a 2 story fortress. The first floor mainly is a safe bunker, from which hostile visitors can be taken under fire. From the first floor, there are to main stairs. One leads to a well-hidden canon platform just above the main door. The other leads to the officer's shelter. In this, you will find a bed, a table with compass and drinks and a balcony on which he can look over the endless seas..
However, the main door is not the only way to get into the Safehouse... In the trees to the left, when you remove some leaves, an ancient arch can be seen. When walking through this arch, you will find out that, after you have managed to pass the curtain of foliage, you found another way into the Safehouse... 
Please share your opinions and comments, which will help me improve this model. Also, please tell me if you like me to made a detailed instruction manual of this model!

That's excellent! love it especially the hidden entrance and the concealed cannon. Great job

Edited by Jez_AU

On 8/25/2020 at 5:35 PM, StefanGDS said:

Yes please on the instructions. I can see a bit of how you put it together.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, cehnot said:

I will once I figure out the final ship. I have wanted to do a full set of rigging, but I may do it in 2 stages. The file was completed, but I am not sure how to separate out the parts from the original set. If anybody can tell me how to do this I will gladly offer this list. 

Rebrickable can do that with a little workaround:

1. Upload your MOC as a Custom List. Click "Build".

2. Disable using your own sets in the Build options and use 21322 as an "additional set" to build from (in this case: the only one).

3. Rebrickable will show all the additional pieces that are not part of the original set. You can download that list to order from Bricklink.

If you want, I can do that bit of Rebrickable magic myself. Just drop me a PM!

Edited by Alazon
spelling

Here's, my barracuda recolour, studio file is from Humble Bricks, its recoloured like brick bounty. 

Black seas barracuda brick bounty merger

Black seas barracuda brick bounty merger

This might be somewhat off-topic but does anyone else think some of the animal pieces just look worse for having painted-on eyes. I miss their old chunky face pieces.

13 hours ago, Bricky Joe said:

This might be somewhat off-topic but does anyone else think some of the animal pieces just look worse for having painted-on eyes. I miss their old chunky face pieces.

No as long as you are talking about minifig animals, minidoll animals on the other hand :tongue: However I like the old ones as well, but the new ones are generally a step up :monkey: The problem in my mind is how few animals we are getting in sets, they could easily included twice as many in this set :shark:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

No as long as you are talking about minifig animals, minidoll animals on the other hand :tongue: However I like the old ones as well, but the new ones are generally a step up :monkey: The problem in my mind is how few animals we are getting in sets, they could easily included twice as many in this set :shark:

This is where I admit to my great shame, I have previously bought cheaper, rip-off LEGO animals to cultivate a more substantial dinosaurs collection. They're not bad beyond the fact that the T-Rex is the same size as the Velociraptors haha.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:37 PM, Count Vroskri said:

Black Pearl has now got a third mast, 

Black Pearl

Ever since the release of this set, I've been wandering around the internet looking for a Black Pearl version of BSB. While I did find some, this is more or less what I was looking for, amazing job and thank you for doing so.

@Jack Sassy

Thanks very much! It's not even modded, just a third mast and different colours. 

Edited by Count Vroskri
Spelling

Oh yeah, I got a copy of the set now too, finally. 

Had it for a couple of weeks, to be honest. Should I build it now, or save it for 5,000 Subscribers on my Youtube Channel or some other occasion?

Has anyone tried to modify the original Black Seas Barracuda so it looks more like the new one? I didn't want to buy a second Barracuda Bay set just for the ship, mostly because I don't really need 2 ships that look very similar or need all the extra pieces. However the new one looks better and more complete. I've been looking and can't find any mocs with just upgrades to the old ship that would upgrade it to something closer to the new one.

In fact it would be cool if there were "mocs" of improvements and upgrades to original sets without drastically changing them, but just adding more detail and bringing them up to the times.

Edited by Styphelus

I'm working on a project to design a new Pirate Bay to a "$200, 2500 part" price point as if the Ideas team had decided to keep the model as a large building and a small shipwreck on a large island instead of a large shipwreck and no separate building on a small island.  The first thing to do is design the ship that gets wrecked!  So here's a ship based off of the 21317 Steamboat Willie hull.  It's my first pirate ship build.  The rest of the Pirate Bay will come later this week if I have time to work on it.  Comments and criticism welcome!

Pirate ship

That's a great looking ship! I was looking at my creator ship the other night thinking it could also be a potential base to use in an island wreck. It has the built up hull parts so could potentially be customized somewhat. Looking forward to seeing your Pirate Bay once you have it up

19 hours ago, Styphelus said:

Does anyone know where I can find a LDD or IO model of the new Barracuda ship?

Did you check out this version that is mentioned a few posts above? It has some slight (mostly colour) modifications, but it's an accurate rebuilt: https://humblebricks.com/other/ (bottom of page)

On 9/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, icm said:

I'm working on a project to design a new Pirate Bay to a "$200, 2500 part" price point as if the Ideas team had decided to keep the model as a large building and a small shipwreck on a large island instead of a large shipwreck and no separate building on a small island.  The first thing to do is design the ship that gets wrecked!  So here's a ship based off of the 21317 Steamboat Willie hull.  It's my first pirate ship build.  The rest of the Pirate Bay will come later this week if I have time to work on it.  Comments and criticism welcome!

Pirate ship

I like your crane at the main mast!

On 9/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, Styphelus said:

Has anyone tried to modify the original Black Seas Barracuda so it looks more like the new one? I didn't want to buy a second Barracuda Bay set just for the ship, mostly because I don't really need 2 ships that look very similar or need all the extra pieces. However the new one looks better and more complete. I've been looking and can't find any mocs with just upgrades to the old ship that would upgrade it to something closer to the new one.

In fact it would be cool if there were "mocs" of improvements and upgrades to original sets without drastically changing them, but just adding more detail and bringing them up to the times.

Earlier in this thread someone did this. You'll need a fourth midsection though. 

So there’s a leaked image of a new Ninjago set that looks like some kind of Easter Island thing with a big totem pole and a cliff, and it looks like a really great accompaniment to Barracuda Bay. I haven’t got the Bay yet but I definitely want to get both of them and put them together now. 

Interesting island if real. I've only recently come out of my dark ages when it comes to pirates and Barracuda bay was my entrypoint again. Day 1 purchase, but now I'm looking to expand beyond the ship and island leftover. I've decided not to spend insane amounts on buying old sets, but take it slow and see what comes along. Ninjago has surprisingly been on the radar due to a good pricepoint and possible pirate MOCs. E.g. I took The Skull Magician's Caves (71722) as basis for a skull island. Rip off some parts, replace lava with beach and stick some palmtrees and plants on. Works surprisingly well! Also build the latest Destiny's Bounty, but that requires more extensive work for it to function as let's say an asian pirate ship. But I like the shaping of it more than the creator 3 in 1 set, so I'd like to have a go at it when time permits.

PS, apologies for being a little off topic. The post above triggered something that's been in my head for a while.

Edited by Verodin

On 9/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, icm said:

Pirate ship

Fantastic little ship! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.