JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

1 hour ago, Mencot said:

Ah, I understand. That is reasonable to keep in store for the future to resell.:pir-laugh:

Altough right now, at that price the Barracuda bay is at, it is a great price per part set and it may be that I will get a second copy later on just for the parts because I ordered parts from Bricklink from 3 different sellers and I don´t know but feels like that the price for parts on Bricklink has gone up since I last time bought parts a few years ago. Or am I wrong?

At the very least, I am waiting to see if there is continued availability after covid19 dies down, if it ever does.....

Assembling this model has made me realize something: I HATE building Lego. I like designing it; I live having it... I like showing it off. But I DESPISE building it.

1 hour ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Assembling this model has made me realize something: I HATE building Lego.... I DESPISE building it.

I feel you. I'm kind on the same boat.

Not really hate building it... but definitely bored building, most of the times.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

I finally got the rest of the tiles on Friday to finish this part of the project.  I also made a simple wood base for it, so that I could move it around easier.  Thank you to Robin_IV for the digital file to create the water look!

49934768458_0791a9ea41_c.jpg20200525_142356 by topazard, on Flickr

Edited by teos
spelling

1 hour ago, teos said:

I finally got the rest of the tiles on Friday to finish this part of the project.  I also made a simple wood base for it, so that I could move it around easier.  Thank you to Robin_IV for the digital file to create the water look!

PERFECT!

3 hours ago, teos said:

In addition to the obvious cool factor of the water, the faded sails are a really nice touch. 

I feel like with so much water, though, there should be something happening out there - a whale broaching, or a few sailors clinging to wreckage, or something. Not ludicrously cluttered, or anything - just a few visual cues to balance the chaos of the model. 

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

On 5/18/2020 at 10:40 PM, Alazon said:

Don't really want to blow my own horn, but make sure to check out these cloth sails OKBrickworks has produced from my digital drafts. It's Silent Mary-style sails both in the colours and the size of the new BSB!

Blowing one's own horn is absolutely appropiate when one creates such an awesome sails mod as you did. The fact that you also scaled them up in size is really great too!

Super stoked.....been trying to find this set for weeks without crazy mark up, to no avail. Finally lucked out this morning and got one off Bricklink for just a few dollars over MSRP. Cant wait to get it.

After displaying the set as whole, I decided its time to try out the rebuilded ship version, after fooling around whit it, I decided it would be fun to try out something, silly. So I ditched the middle secrion out completely and just connected the stern and the bow, and the result was so cute and adorable. :pir-tongue: It looked like comically Type of sloop of sorts. But ofcourse it wouldnt work as there isnt enough space for the deck and the stairs to the poop deck, as the capstan gets in the way. Still it would have fun to see how it would turn out whit modifications. 

if anyone would have LFX file to share I wouls love to have one, as I could experiment whit the model far easier that way.

Edit: some spelling mistakes fixed

Edited by Captain Becker

Is the ship you can build from this set identical to the original barracuda? If not, how does it differ?

8 hours ago, Mafortune said:

Is the ship you can build from this set identical to the original barracuda? If not, how does it differ?

It's a remastered version of the original BSB. So It has mostly the same colors and dimensions as the original but in a completely different package. Having an under deck and modern piece elements makes this set stand on it's own from the original. However, it keeps the original charm due to the colors and sails!    

On 6/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, Mafortune said:

It's significantly better and more realistic in terms of shaping and details. It's still toy-like, but it's a lot closer to something that a pro-MOCer might produce. 

It's easily the best pirate ship they have ever done, hands down. ANYONE who is into Lego pirates and doesn't buy one of these is out of their gourd. 

On 4/19/2020 at 4:26 AM, Dorino said:

Thanks, 

Show us whenever ready! I am already thinking of re positioning winch to stick from the mast.

And the part is 28974 Minifig Neckwear Bracket

Would you be able to share the other parts you used to create the crane? I’ve got a set coming shortly and would love to add this to the finished ship. 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Does anyone have a clue where we could get sails printed on both sides?

Scan those in and print on home printer 2-sided, that;s what i did ;)

just take some better paper

Hi Everyone,

Let me share with you my pirate vitrine!

I can display the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set only this way at home:

50048181436_28fc04df3e_c.jpg2F0823A1-6D04-491A-BCC1-E39D2B44DEA2 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

I had to rotate the island, thus there was no place for the original azure blue plates. Therefore I've built the surrounding water with transparent blue tiles, like others did before (I always wanted to try this technic). There are three layers, so it's quite sturdy. The second layer consists only of tan and LBG plates.

Other mods, specifications (mostly because of lacking space):

- front mast is removed

- main mast is 4 plate shorter

- no flags on the top of the masts

- one palm tree is removed on the right

- no rock on the front-right side

- custom background based on the box art

- custom sails based on @Alazon's vectorized Silent Mary sails. I used my modified skull-crossbones logo for the big one - maybe it's a bit to emphatic... These are only prototypes made of paper, I'm still working on them.

Thanks for stopped by.

Looking great! Would a background on all three sides work as well or not really?

3 hours ago, Merlo said:

Looking great! Would a background on all three sides work as well or not really?

I think it would work only from a definite perspective...

On 4/11/2020 at 2:05 AM, victorycount said:

"Drink up me hearties Yo Ho!!"* We finished it, finally! :pir-grin:  This rebuild was made by @Brickander Brickumnus, @rainfall, @Scarilian and me, thanks guys, was great workin with you. :pir-classic: Here the final product, with some bad photoshop work, but it was late in the night...
Finally founf that dog(in LDD) at least now I know that the original build was made with LDD and stud.io
49759097802_f4f917c22b_c.jpgSin título 5 by Victory Count, en Flickr

*(quote by @paokus)

Awesome work. Would love to rebuild the original Pirate Bay myself. Would be very happy I you could email the LDD files/link. Thank you so much.