JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

Nice crane mod Dorino. I too am thinking of adding something similar - although I was considering a ball-jointed boom similar to the rear mast so the crane can swing out over the dock for loading.

Toroto - I agree yellow highlights on the window top decoration would be an improvement. My only criticism of the ship’s design is the large black sides of the sterncastle.  One idea I had was to change the colour of the two ‘go-faster-stripes’ on the sides. That might help breakup the wall-of-black. I’ve got some yellow quarter rounds on order to see how it looks.

One other tweak I made was to convert the top rung of the boarding ladder into a retractable sliding plank which can be slid out of either side of the ship but is invisible when stowed in the central position. Seemed like a no-brainer. No self-respecting pirate ship should be without a plank!

2 hours ago, Alazon said:

Added torn sails to my finished Bay - first printing test on paper. More info in the "Reproducing lego sails" thread.

Very nice work!  Did you cut those by hand or use something like a Cricut craft device?  I'm not even sure fabric stores are open near me, due to the shutdown.  Otherwise, I'd try to do something similar. 

Just now, teos said:

Very nice work!  Did you cut those by hand or use something like a Cricut craft device?  I'm not even sure fabric stores are open near me, due to the shutdown.  Otherwise, I'd try to do something similar. 

I painstakingly cut them out with some tiny scissors ... :-) I'm still thinking about paper/fabric choices, will test some kind of canvas paper next. Fabric sometimes feels too "naturalistic" to me, but I will definitely try it out too!

16 hours ago, Alazon said:

Added torn sails to my finished Bay - first printing test on paper. More info in the "Reproducing lego sails" thread.

Very cool! I really love the idea of torn sails for the wrecked ship. 

I assume that it's not too difficult to print the red stripes on both sides of the sails? It's one thing that really bothers me about the original LEGO sails, making the ship only look good from one side! 

56 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Very cool! I really love the idea of torn sails for the wrecked ship. 

I assume that it's not too difficult to print the red stripes on both sides of the sails? It's one thing that really bothers me about the original LEGO sails, making the ship only look good from one side! 

Funny you should ask, I just published my PDF that's capable of printing both sides in this thread ...

... which links to this PDF (if anyone should read this in the future and there's nothing to find, check out my Bricksafe folder, in this case there should be a new version available with a new file name).

I'm still working on this ship (now named the Terror), based off of set 21332 (Pirates of Barracuda Bay). I changed the colors around again, this time to my green pirate captain's colors. (I already have a bunch of the parts, making it more affordable.) 

49798350287_7949ff1611_z.jpg

The ship is devoid of any lower, below-deck features, except for the eight custom cannons. (as the bigger, official cannons would not fit despite my efforts) The only place there is furniture is the captain's cabin and that consists of a simple table and chair to save costs. 

What do you think?

Obviously, I'm still gonna need custom-printed sails from CapeMadness, as green and white striped sails aren't an option if you go the strictly "Lego only" route. (I guess I could print my own on paper, due to the vector files now being available thanks to two users @Alazon and @Israel Hands who did all the work.) Thanks you guys for that!

EDIT: Revised the color scheme again, got rid of the yellow altogether. Scrapes around $100 US off the total price.... not that I can afford it right now anyway.

Edited by Murdoch17

Here's a simple mod of the Barracuda that uses only parts from the island section of 21322 to lay a floor for the gun deck, install a small arms rack, move the bunks into the fo'c'sle "before the mast," bring the pig aboard for "pork on the hoof," and fill the aft hold full of stores.  The supporting structure for the top deck needed a bit of rearrangement too, but nothing complex or difficult.

Simple 21322 mods

acf3a2cc26619ba5e9eeebb26e29c041.jpg

I did very little, TBH this time round, Alazon beat me to it. 

If possible, could you avoid stripes, just to make it a little more unique? Possibly go for colourised Imperial Flagship style, with the stitch-work showdown through. Or look though the sail library and have an emblem on the larger sail.

de85ebb76886784def07026f28b46698.jpg

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I hope I didn't steal your thunder. I was just eager to do my tattered version and had to do the original sails as as precursor. I gathered since I've offered the files open and editable, everyone would be able to join in and modify them in creative ways.

6 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

SNIP

If possible, could you avoid stripes, just to make it a little more unique? Possibly go for colourised Imperial Flagship style, with the stitch-work showdown through. Or look though the sail library and have an emblem on the larger sail.

SNIP

The Imperial Flagship ones will do fine as-is (no special coloring or marking), but I need them to be big enough to fit on the rigging of the new 2020 sail sizes. Is that even possible / can you please do that for me @Israel Hands? if not let me know.

Edited by Murdoch17

53 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Probably have a bash this weekend. So you want Imperial Flagship style but for new BSB sized sails? 

Yes, thank you.

Mail is running a bit slower than normal, though I did manage to complete over half of the tiled base by Robin_IV.  Hopefully, it will be nearly complete by the end of next week, as more BL orders arrive.  The site doesn't let me post photos, so I'll have to figure that out too.

A couple recommendations for doing this mod: use mostly 1x4 tiles (cheaper) and switch their orientation.  I tried placing the tiles as they are in the studio file, but it didn't look quite right.  I removed the tiles and re-oriented them in a way similar to Ninjago City 70620, which looked much better.  

I don't think the final product will look quite as nice as the studio file render, so keep that in mind (due to project cost).

Hi Everyone,

I love this set, but unfortunately I've ran out of space at my appartment. I'd like to display it in a closed glass vitrine which has 57x48 studs area and 52 studs height. I've meassured the set in Stud.io, and it doesn't fit into it.

I want to display it in any case, so I decided to modify it. First, I have to angle the island about 60 degrees.

Thus, the base almost fits, however there isn't enough space for some angles of the plates and the rock at the front-left side - the latter must go.

Inspired by @Robin_IV, I'm going to build a water base from tiles around the island.

This what I came up with. It consists of two parts as the original base.

49826322632_25d4da126e_o.pngVitrin-alap by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

I'm going to place it that way. It has two layers at the moment, but I think one more layer should have been built to the bottom... I'm not sure, whether it's secure enought. At this stage, it will cost about 90 USD according to my Bricklink wish list. It won't cost much more with the third layer, since I can use the azure blue plates for it.

In addition, a have to remove the whole foremast, the upper flags and some side parts of the other masts, but I think it won't affect the overall look of the bay as much - it will look more weary...

At the end, I'd like to add some custom torn sails.

Edited by ClassicLook

I saw a lot of sweet things and colourschemes here :)
Did anyone consider heavily MODing the ship and the masts rigging ? I will once I finish building it !

For something a bit different, I rebuilt the set as a lighthouse fortress. Still changing some things around, though I really love how it turned out. If Lego isn't going to make more Pirate sets (though the upcoming Creator one is much appreaciated), I will have to just adapt the ones they do make :D

DQQOMFw.jpg

51 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

For something a bit different, I rebuilt the set as a lighthouse fortress. Still changing some things around, though I really love how it turned out. If Lego isn't going to make more Pirate sets (though the upcoming Creator one is much appreaciated), I will have to just adapt the ones they do make :D

You have to give us more pictures! I really like the lighthouse!

1 hour ago, azog said:

You have to give us more pictures! I really like the lighthouse!

Thanks! I will of course, as soon as I finish it :pir-blush: I should also have enough spare parts for a litter for the captain, though I'm not sure if the minifigs will be strong enough to actually carry it :laugh:

Hi everyone

I got seriously back into LEGO when I bought the barracuda bay set recently (presents for my kids don’t count imo!)

now I’ve become an obsessed AFOL, and I’m thinking about how to make the ship a proper pirate ship - eg remodel the lower deck into a gun deck, add another deck, add a crow’s nest etc

am also thinking of changing the settlement that’s left when you combine the ship, into a proper pirate hideout. Perhaps I’ll incorporate the tavern from the upcoming Creator 3in1 set.

Can the more experienced folks here provide any general pointers on how to get started on making these designs? 
do you only source for parts through Bricklink?
thanks!

3 hours ago, Dies Irae said:

Perhaps I’ll incorporate the tavern from the upcoming Creator 3in1 set.

That's a good idea! I think I'm also going to do that way.

3 hours ago, Dies Irae said:

Can the more experienced folks here provide any general pointers on how to get started on making these designs? 
do you only source for parts through Bricklink?

If you don't have many parts at home, the best way to build a MOC is to design it in Stud.io software. You can upload the part list to Bricklink then (it useful to check meanwhile, whether a special part comes in the desired colour). It's a time-consuming process, but you can avoid unecessary buyings. You can find the digital file of this set somewhere in this topic.

Edited by ClassicLook

19 hours ago, legoman666 said:

Alazon and I produced these tattered sails for displaying on the shipwreck build. Printed on fabric and laser cut, grab a set here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/293567432233

chzUCkZl.jpg

Awesome.  I was going to try to figure out how to make some once fabric stores re-opened.  Now I can spent my time and efforts elsewhere.  

Progress:

49860261066_2f318584af_c.jpgpirate base2 by topazard, on Flickr

I'm still waiting on a couple orders to wrap this project up.  The cost of parts needed to be purchased was about $180, which did not include shipping.  Most of this cost was just for the surface pieces and the two big baseplates. 

EDIT: credit for the design is Robin_IV (page 1 of this thread).

Edited by teos
credit the designer

Recently got the Pirates of Barracuda Bay and I love it! Built it first as the island then switched to the ship and I think it'll stay that way haha. But I'm wondering does anyone here have ideas for how to use just the island pieces alone to make an alternate hideout? I'd be very interested to see!