JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

On 4/5/2020 at 3:57 AM, Robin_IV said:

+ The Base Stands on three 32x32 and three 16x32 Groundplates.

Yes I have. Here it is on Bricksafe. (.io)

Thank you!  I've already started to gather the parts as a side project.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:30 AM, Jevil said:

I was going to make modifications to the original Black Seas Barracuda that I got a couple weeks ago! Make a thread about it, post some pictures, pitch some ideas, encourage you lot to share some ideas, a bit of give and take

What play features do you want in your dream Dark-Shark???

I actually modded my 89 BSB some years ago. The BSB was THE Lego set I wanted the most as a child, but my parents could never afford it. Thankfully, my mum and dad managed to get me the 89 Caribbean Clipper for Christmas, but I still always pined for the BSB and I specifically remember running to the LEGO isle of my local toy stores, and lifting up that card flap on the front of the box to look inside at the parts of the BSB. 

Anyway, fast-forward to about 2015, I rekindled my love of LEGO (thanks to the LEGO Ideas Ecto-1) and I picked up a 89 BSB from eBay in the best condition I could find. After I build it my thoughts about it were; that it's visually the best LEGO ship ever made... but, there are two areas where it was severely lacking to the point it feels unfinished. The captain's cabin literally has nothing inside it, other than the treasure chest you're supposed to just plonk on the floor in the middle of it. And then the front deck section, is just an open hole with nothing inside it - it just looks like they forgot to put a plate over it. So, I decided to re-design both of those. It was important for me to keep it so that most people would never know the ship was modified. The original design is stunning as it is. The Captain's cabin I completely decorated with things on the walls and the shelves. Then I did the classic desk in the middle, that is used as a handle to lift up the floor and expose a hidden treasure chest under it. The front I made a proper cargo hold with boxes and barrels of stuff inside it, and made some simple doors to the cargo hold using prison bar window pieces. The changes are pretty subtle I think. From a glance you'd never think it's been modified. 

As for the '20 BSB, I want to add more variation of the foliage on the shipwreck. They use the same palm tree leaf and vine throughout the whole design. I'd like to use some of the foliage pieces from the Tree House set. Also want to remove/change the prison cell on the deck - it just looks so awkward up there. When I transform it into the full ship, I definitely want to take out the windows, bar, sleeping area and such below deck and add cannons for every port hole. I'm actually planning on buying a second Barracuda Bay, so I can have it on display as both the bay and the BSB, along with my original 89 BSB. 

Edited by Totoro

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Totoro said:

I actually modded my 89 BSB some years ago. The BSB was THE Lego set I wanted the most as a child, but my parents could never afford it. Thankfully, my mum and dad managed to get me the 89 Caribbean Clipper for Christmas, but I still always pined for the BSB and I specifically remember running to the LEGO isle of my local toy stores, and lifting up that card flap on the front of the box to look inside at the parts of the BSB. 

Anyway, fast-forward to about 2015, I rekindled my love of LEGO (thanks to the LEGO Ideas Ecto-1) and I picked up a 89 BSB from eBay in the best condition I could find. After I build it my thoughts about it were; that it's visually the best LEGO ship ever made... but, there are two areas where it was severely lacking to the point it feels unfinished. The captain's cabin literally has nothing inside it, other than the treasure chest you're supposed to just plonk on the floor in the middle of it. And then the front deck section, is just an open hole with nothing inside it - it just looks like they forgot to put a plate over it. So, I decided to re-design both of those. It was important for me to keep it so that most people would never know the ship was modified. The original design is stunning as it is. The Captain's cabin I completely decorated with things on the walls and the shelves. Then I did the classic desk in the middle, that is used as a handle to lift up the floor and expose a hidden treasure chest under it. The front I made a proper cargo hold with boxes and barrels of stuff inside it, and made some simple doors to the cargo hold using prison bar window pieces. The changes are pretty subtle I think. From a glance you'd never think it's been modified. 

As for the '20 BSB, I want to add more variation of the foliage on the shipwreck. They use the same palm tree leaf and vine throughout the whole design. I'd like to use some of the foliage pieces from the Tree House set. Also want to remove/change the prison cell on the deck - it just looks so awkward up there. When I transform it into the full ship, I definitely want to take out the windows, bar, sleeping area and such below deck and add cannons for every port hole. I'm actually planning on buying a second Barracuda Bay, so I can have it on display as both the bay and the BSB, along with my original 89 BSB. 

Post some photos of your modding of BSB 1989!

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

3 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Post some photos of your modding of BSB 1989!

Oh gosh, I shall try my best. It's hard to get photos inside the cabin. Also, got to give it a little dust off first :3 

Just now, Totoro said:

Oh gosh, I shall try my best. It's hard to get photos inside the cabin. Also, got to give it a little dust off first :3 

Do your best then.

But whatever the result, we want to see it nevertheless... dusty or non-dusty. :pir-classic:

Okay, I've not uploaded photos here before, so hopefully this works. I just took photos of the Captain's cabin section at the moment, as I'm actually in the process of changing the design of the front hold section (though I do have the LDD schematic of that which I can post). 

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post them smaller so had to delete the images :(

I know the design is pretty simple/basic, I just wanted it to fit in and not look too out of place in the 1989 design of the BSB. 

Edited by Totoro

27 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Okay, I've not uploaded photos here before, so hopefully this works. I just took photos of the Captain's cabin section at the moment, as I'm actually in the process of changing the design of the front hold section (though I do have the LDD schematic of that which I can post). 

I know the design is pretty simple/basic, I just wanted it to fit in and not look too out of place in the 1989 design of the BSB. 

Hi. Can you please link to smaller images? They are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge :tongue:

Please use a max width and height of 1024 pixels.

Can you correct them? Thanks!

@Totoro

Very nice! I like it!

Maybe it's better to delete this from here (since this thread is about the new BSB) and open a new thread in "Pirate MOCs", titled "Modded Black Seas Barracuda" or something like that... and post the photos there.
Along with any new photos you take of your ship.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

Is it possible to get a copy of the original pirate bay entry that you guys have masterfully recreated? I'm wanting to use it as inspiration, and would love to get a closer look

How it is going with editing / correcting the colors or whatever you are doing with the stud.io of the original Idea of Pirate Bay? Thanks for update. 

Hail, Totoro! And let me formally and cordially welcome you to the Best* Lego Pirates Forum online!

I like those pics you shared of your modified Barracuda! What I personally do, for my photos, (that has not received any complaints from any members of the staff yet) Is set up an account on Brickshelf.com (the single greatest archive of MOC pics online) , upload them there, copy the link, and post here! The link automatically generates the picture! there's a 24 to 48 hour delay; the pictures have to be reviewed or something before they're made public, but 8 times out of 10, it works! (the other two are for when I upload directly from my phone to Brickshelf, and the preview shows up upside-down!)

14 hours ago, Jevil said:

Hail, Totoro! And let me formally and cordially welcome you to the Best* Lego Pirates Forum online!

I like those pics you shared of your modified Barracuda! What I personally do, for my photos, (that has not received any complaints from any members of the staff yet) Is set up an account on Brickshelf.com (the single greatest archive of MOC pics online) , upload them there, copy the link, and post here! The link automatically generates the picture! there's a 24 to 48 hour delay; the pictures have to be reviewed or something before they're made public, but 8 times out of 10, it works! (the other two are for when I upload directly from my phone to Brickshelf, and the preview shows up upside-down!)

Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I shall look into one of those accounts. 

As for deleting the post above with the images, I can't seem to find a delete function anywhere? :S

1 minute ago, Totoro said:

As for deleting the post above with the images, I can't seem to find a delete function anywhere? :S

Don't delete them, edit them. There is an edit button somewhere for your own posts. Just change the links/source pictures.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, victorycount said:

Hey, no worries, I will mention you too then. As you already mentioned; I never knew anyone else was building on it, since I was starting the whole thing by myself(I think simultaneous with Brickander), and never had any contact to noone except for Brickander. So I just named him, and rainfall as Brickander sent me his captain's cabin.
But whatever. It is now finished, and anyone can contact me for the final stud.io file, and I'll give a link to the file. But as Brickander said he will do a last check for minor errors, I won't put it here for now.

As mentioned above, I can give you a link to my file.

Hi victorycount,

You guys did an amazing job with re-creating the original model. Congrats.

Could you send me the link to the io file please? I am new here and not able to send a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Over at the Reproducing LEGO sails thread I just added the link to my vector reproductions of the 2020's Black Seas Barracuda sails as well as a version that combines the new sails with the tattered look from 71042 Silent Mary. It lets you mix and match, depending on whether you want the shorter or longer tattered sails on either the top or the bottom rigging. There's also a version for the bow.

Since all the modders of the Bay are gathered here, I thought this might be of interest. All the PDF files are found at my Bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/DavidOrtmann/pirates-of-barracuda-bay

BSB-2020-tattered-and-new.jpg.png.6cf58e4d90f0da600f0db98ac2d2da54.png

On 4/11/2020 at 8:05 AM, victorycount said:

"Drink up me hearties Yo Ho!!"* We finished it, finally! :pir-grin:  This rebuild was made by @Brickander Brickumnus, @rainfall, @Scarilian and me, thanks guys, was great workin with you. :pir-classic: Here the final product, with some bad photoshop work, but it was late in the night...
Finally founf that dog(in LDD) at least now I know that the original build was made with LDD and stud.io
49759097802_f4f917c22b_c.jpgSin título 5 by Victory Count, en Flickr

*(quote by @paokus)

Hi victorycount, Brickander Brickumrus, rainfall & Scarilian,

You guys did a very amazing job to rebuilt the original pirates bay.  I’ve been following this thread since you guys started this project.

I’m interested to build the original version & I just bought the raised baseplated.  Could you please share the link of io file with me?

Appreciated your effort & thanks in advance.

Regards,

I really wanted to swap out the window frame of the Captain's Cabin with yellow bricks, so that it looks more like the original BSB. The parts highlighted in red below. But it turns out you can't get those rounded 1x1 bricks in yellow - RIP my dreams. 

hKeViK6.png

Edited by Totoro

Just now, Totoro said:

I really wanted to swap out the window frame of the Captain's Cabin with yellow bricks, so that it looks more like the original BSB. The parts highlighted in red below. But it turns out you can't get those rounded 1x1 bricks in bright yellow - RIP my dreams. 

hKeViK6.png

That piece is pretty new, so you just have to wait for it to appear in new colours, I guess. Why not replace it with a more angular look like Yellow Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3 (54200) in the meantime?

22 minutes ago, Alazon said:

That piece is pretty new, so you just have to wait for it to appear in new colours, I guess. Why not replace it with a more angular look like Yellow Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3 (54200) in the meantime?

Yes, I could do that as a temporary measure. Thanks for the suggestion :D I wonder if there's a way to add an alert on Bricklink for pieces you are wishing for. Surely there must be? I know there's a section for colours people want bricks in. 

EDIT: Found the option for email alerts on Bricklink, so hopefully it will notify me when/if that piece ever shows up in yellow. 

Edited by Totoro

14 hours ago, Alazon said:

Over at the Reproducing LEGO sails thread I just added the link to my vector reproductions of the 2020's Black Seas Barracuda sails as well as a version that combines the new sails with the tattered look from 71042 Silent Mary. It lets you mix and match, depending on whether you want the shorter or longer tattered sails on either the top or the bottom rigging. There's also a version for the bow.

Since all the modders of the Bay are gathered here, I thought this might be of interest. All the PDF files are found at my Bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/DavidOrtmann/pirates-of-barracuda-bay

Thank you for your precious work! I'll definitely use some of these sails on my model.

I always enjoyed the respect / love people have for pirates theme but i never felt like part of it because i didn't have a single pirates set. 

I finally received set and i literally built the ship without even touching island bags. 

Looking at comparison photos between old and new we can easily tell that it's missing some sort of crane!

Since almost All. Of. My. Mocs. include crane i had to modify 21322!

20200418_093852

I couldn't decide if to go with black or reddish brown. I chose reddish brown because it matches 1x2 modified plates on top.

20200418_093858

Since the ship already have cool "winch" mechanism i also added one for the crane. 

20200418_093905

I also changed order of string pieces so i could get rid of that stack of 1x2 modified plates between two masts

I am very excited about this set and i will to "enhance" original set. I will post in this thread.

Kind regards

Edited by Dorino

@AlazonThis looks so much better than the original one... I was thinking about doing something similar to the bay. But I would darken the red a bit more, or make the sail look a bit dirtier.:-)

Thanks for sharing!