Jim

[TC18] Technic Small Car Contest - Information Topic

It's always a bit sad to see entries with 0 votes, but for some reason this time there were more entries than voters so I guess that it's only to be expected to see so many entries with no votes. It appears that this time making an entry was easier than voting :look:

(Though I managed to vote but not finish my entry...)

1 minute ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

@Jim Hello. How long will the second round last?

There's no set time. I usually close the contest when I have time to wrap things up. Probably one week or so.

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

It's always a bit sad to see entries with 0 votes, but for some reason this time there were more entries than voters so I guess that it's only to be expected to see so many entries with no votes. It appears that this time making an entry was easier than voting :look:

Hehe, indeed.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

(Though I managed to vote but not finish my entry...)

I find it a bit strange and sad indeed.

For me, end of stage 1 voting came a bit unexpected early. I've finished my list, but it was so hard to decide, so i wanted to take a rest before my final vote. Now it's much easier ...

Again: Congratulations to all participants and good luck for the finalists - you deserved it!

I think there were quite a few new members with entries. They are not allowed to vote.

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

I think there were quite a few new members with entries. They are not allowed to vote.

Maybe we should allow voting by new members who are in the contest. That seems fair. And I can build it into my software.

22 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

But isn't it too late for this contest?

It sure is :laugh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsNOZkHrTvr0WkUUFDZZZ

17 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I brought that up earlier:

On 5/19/2020 at 3:40 PM, letsbuild said:

There are members with fewer than 50 posts but have submitted an entry for the contest. Can they vote?

I have joined Eurobricks to participate because this contest didn't require a video. At that time I was aware of the voting rules. Therefore I am fine. But I support Jims proposal:

On 5/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, Jim said:

Maybe we should allow voting by new members who are in the contest. That seems fair. And I can build it into my software. 

My voting would have been:

30: 10

17: 6

36: 4

9: 3

41: 2

21: 1

This turned out to be a great competition: Lots of great, varied entries and it seemed to attract quite a few new members as well. I agree that new contestants should be allowed to vote as well but doesn't this open the door for misuse? Voting could be rigged by a contestant by letting his friends create new account, stacks three bricks together, call it an entry and then award 10 points to the entry of their friend? But I'm sure our captain Jim has a solution for this.

These crazy times have meant that my job took over my life the past weeks. We are designing and building products to assist people starting up their normal lives again. All this in record time due to the high urgency. As a result, I couldn't find the time or energy to finish my entry and I missed the first voting round. A shame but better luck next time I guess.

Anyway, good luck to the remaining contestants and I will try to add some of the excellent entries to my collection.

Well, as for me I am a new member and to the begging of contest I have 0 post. But when u make wip theme, then if u pay little attention to topics of other contestants I easily got lots of post, so I think it is not a problem at all to reach 50. So let the rules be as it is. 

btw it very pleasant that people cheer each other, it’s great!

Edited by Shtykoff

@Shtykoff Your hat is already 50 posts worthy :pir-huzzah2:, but you have a solid argument there! 

11 minutes ago, agrof said:

@Shtykoff Your hat is already 50 posts worthy :pir-huzzah2:, but you have a solid argument there! 

??? real pirate!Aaaaaarrrghhhh!

Edited by Shtykoff

8 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

This turned out to be a great competition: Lots of great, varied entries and it seemed to attract quite a few new members as well. I agree that new contestants should be allowed to vote as well but doesn't this open the door for misuse? Voting could be rigged by a contestant by letting his friends create new account, stacks three bricks together, call it an entry and then award 10 points to the entry of their friend? But I'm sure our captain Jim has a solution for this.

These crazy times have meant that my job took over my life the past weeks. We are designing and building products to assist people starting up their normal lives again. All this in record time due to the high urgency. As a result, I couldn't find the time or energy to finish my entry and I missed the first voting round. A shame but better luck next time I guess.

Anyway, good luck to the remaining contestants and I will try to add some of the excellent entries to my collection.

I'm pretty sure such entries are real easy to disqualify, the rules include a clause anyway which states that any votes can be discarded when voting rigging is suspected.

8 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

...These crazy times have meant that my job took over my life the past weeks...

Interesting that these crazy times meant I suddenly found myself almost adrift. Thank goodness someone had the idea to organise a competition I felt I could enter to give me a focus :classic:

I've already said that I think a small size limit encouraged people to enter and it seems a lot of entries were from new members who will hopefully continue to contribute to the forum as a whole. 

This was a great experience for me, thanks to Jim for organising it,  and thanks to everyone who entered or commented :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I agree that new contestants should be allowed to vote as well but doesn't this open the door for misuse? Voting could be rigged by a contestant by letting his friends create new account, stacks three bricks together, call it an entry and then award 10 points to the entry of their friend? But I'm sure our captain Jim has a solution for this.

So a new member needs to take the time to create a fake entry to cast votes for a single befriended entry. Seems a lot of trouble to add 10 points to a score. I'm sure we will spot such attempts.

My solution is you guys. I'm sure I will get plenty of PM's :laugh: