[TC18] Technic Small Car Contest - Information Topic

In light of recent CADA discussion:

CADA battery box and controller are  allowed in this contest 

Not allowed!

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

CADA battery box and controller are allowed in this contest 

WHAT!!!!!!!!!????????? Where am I?

On 3/28/2020 at 11:01 AM, Jim said:
  • Mindstorms and LEGO Electronics are not permitted.
  • SBrick, Buwizz and PFxBrick are not permitted.
  • 3rd party Strings, Hoses and Rubber Bands are permitted.
  • 3rd party tires are not permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.

initial rules.

Has CADA bought this site?

Sorry....are NOT permitted. My bad!

NO ELECTRONICS whatsover!

Sorry for the confusion. 

I have updated the topic title.

@Jim Thank you for organising this. It's incredible to see so many entries including my first :classic: I avoided looking too much at the other entries until I had mine sketched out but the creativity shown by everyone is amazing, it's like a masterclass in how to build compact!

Like many others I found myself with some unexpected time off and this has given me something constructive to aim for and helped occupy my mind. By keeping the contest simple you encouraged those of us without rooms full of Lego to have a go (actually I have a room for Lego but it has other stuff in it too). Once again thank you.

I'm glad you are all enjoying the competition! And I am looking forward to seeing all the results.

Yeah, that’s allowed!

You  can use (and cut) custom tubes, strings and rubber bands :thumbup:

One more question. Why is it allowed to post only 3 photos in entry topic. I think it’s not logic. Front, back, side and chassis needed so correct number of photos is 4. Other way I must make collage of to or four images.

You can make a collage.

My suggestion to @Jim is, when the entry topic will be closed, to make a summary chart of all the entries with a small photo near each entry name. I think that with so many entries, the entry topic will be very long (many pages) and people could get bored surfing all those pages, so the last entries will be disadvantaged.

I don't know if it is possible, but I think it will make a little easier to vote.

2 hours ago, Shtykoff said:

One more question. Why is it allowed to post only 3 photos in entry topic. I think it’s not logic. Front, back, side and chassis needed so correct number of photos is 4. Other way I must make collage of to or four images.

Usually, one picture from the front-side, one from the back-side and one extra picture (the chassis in this case). This has been enough for previous contests. But I am willing to increase the number of pictures to four.

38 minutes ago, mpj said:

My suggestion to @Jim is, when the entry topic will be closed, to make a summary chart of all the entries with a small photo near each entry name. I think that with so many entries, the entry topic will be very long (many pages) and people could get bored surfing all those pages, so the last entries will be disadvantaged.

Making a summary chart defeats the purpose of an entry topic. Scores will be based on a single pic, while contestants are allowed to use three (or four) to present their model. 

If you are too lazy to scroll through three pages, you are not serious about voting and should not vote. It's that simple :sweet:

And if you get BORED by looking at amazing MOCs, you shouldn't be on this forum to begin with :laugh: :tongue:

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

Usually, one picture from the front-side, one from the back-side and one extra picture (the chassis in this case). This has been enough for previous contests. But I am willing to increase the number of pictures to four.

Is it a decision already? Can we now make four? Or u need to discuss with some one? 

2 minutes ago, Shtykoff said:

Is it a decision already? Can we now make four? Or u need to discuss with some one? 

I will change the rules right now.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Usually, one picture from the front-side, one from the back-side and one extra picture (the chassis in this case). 

Is one picture from the pure chassis in the entry topic mandatory?

If so, I would appreciate four pictures. Otherwise it wouldn't be necessary to increase the number of allowed pictures, specially for this contest. The proportions of an entry should allow to show top and side view in one pic. Same with front and rear view. 

I thought the limitation of picture numbers were set to keep the download and the generell length of the topic in an acceptable range. Just my opinion, i'm fine with either way.

Yes, that's mandatory.

And the number has already been increased to 4 :thumbup:

Just now, MegaRoi said:

I thought the limitation of picture numbers were set to keep the download and the generell length of the topic in an acceptable range. Just my opinion, i'm fine with either way.

That is indeed the reason.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

Making a summary chart defeats the purpose of an entry topic. Scores will be based on a single pic, while contestants are allowed to use three (or four) to present their model. 

If you are too lazy to scroll through three pages, you are not serious about voting and should not vote. It's that simple :sweet:

And if you get BORED by looking at amazing MOCs, you shouldn't be on this forum to begin with :laugh: :tongue:

I am not bored by looking at Mocs, but I think some people will stop at first page and will vote without looking at all the other mocs. A summary would be useful also for a fast final "check" of the selected entries a person would like to vote... (I chose number... 58 or 59? Fast check :grin:)

But I can live also without the summary.

This is TC18, which means that I have hosted 18...no 17 (didn't host the first one) contests. And I have to see a contest with a very strange outcome. Maybe one or two members will vote like you say, but the majority of the members take their time and actually like to vote (at least, that's my understanding).

1 hour ago, Jim said:

This is TC18, which means that I have hosted 18...no 17 (didn't host the first one) contests. And I have to see a contest with a very strange outcome. Maybe one or two members will vote like you say, but the majority of the members take their time and actually like to vote (at least, that's my understanding).

I create a whole spreadsheet to then do a score comparison to work out my votes ... but then I’m an engineer so have a level of OCD

Just now, Seasider said:

I create a whole spreadsheet to then do a score comparison to work out my votes ... but then I’m an engineer so have a level of OCD

That's what I'm talkin' about :laugh:

Nope. We need a top side pic of the chassis before the bodywork is complete.

31 minutes ago, Jim said:

We need a top side pic of the chassis before the bodywork is complete

I notice some of the posts in the entry topic are missing a proper chassis pic (following your quoted guideline). Now I know and understand that you will be lenient in this particular contest, but how is the explicit statement above going to affect the entries not having it? I do not aim to be mini-modding, just trying to clarify this deviation I see happening.

Shout-out to everyone: put a proper chassis pic in your entry post, as Jim says above! Enough time left to update your entry posts before contest closing date.