Jim

[TC18] Technic Small Car Contest - Information Topic

42098-1.png

TECHNIC SMALL CAR CONTEST - INFORMATION TOPIC
Some of you have asked for a contest with a limited scope and a narrowed down goal. So here it is. I am aware that it won't spark everyone's imagination, but I still like to see what you come up with.

DESCRIPTION
Build a car that will fit the 42098 - Car Transporter, using small tires (max diameter of 49.6). Four wheels need to be used for driving (no trikes etc) and the vehicle will have a max box size of L41 x W15 x H17.DEADLINE

The deadline date is Monday, the 18th of May 2020. The contest will be closed on Tuesday, the 19th of May, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit, and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest-specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course, there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• You can only use the small tires mentioned above (max diameter of 49.6).
  • You need to use exactly four tires/wheels for driving (you can add one spare tire if you need it).
  • The vehicle needs to fit in a L41 x W15 x H17 box (mirrors can protrude).
  • Each entry needs to have a name (no name, no entry).
  • Model Team style building is not permitted. You can use system parts but keep it mainly Technic.
  • Mindstorms and LEGO Electronics are not permitted.
  • SBrick, Buwizz and PFxBrick are not permitted.
  • 3rd party Strings, Hoses and Rubber Bands are permitted.
  • 3rd party tires are not permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Jury members are not eligible to participate.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?
All participants need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC18].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • One or more images (max 4).  You can have combined pictures (4 in 1) as long as the picture isn't bigger than 1024x1024.
  • At least one image of the chassis, so take a pic where we can see the chassis before you close the bodywork.
  • Embedded video is not mandatory this time
  • Link to your discussion topic

VOTING
The voting scheme will be public voting only, but only by members who have 50 posts or more. If you have fewer posts, you can vote, but your votes will be automatically excluded from the tally. 

Voting criteria are (in no particular order):

• Originality.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme, etc).
  • Quality of the build.
  • Functionality.

PRIZES
I'm not sure whether there will be any sponsored prizes by TLG, but I will see what I can do. I hate to leave the winners empty-handed.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Please be aware of slightly changed entry criteria. We will be needing a picture of the chassis so we can see the innards. And a video is allowed but not mandatory this time.

I have contemplated enforcing a deadline date to start the discussion topic, but I'm not sure if that will work. Hopefully all of you will create a topic soon so we can have fun and discuss.

I will make a simple promo pic later, but I wanted to start the contest asap.

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The line "there's no size limit" in the rules should be removed.

Thanks! I also forgot to remove the electronics. Electronics are not allowed.

And can you help me out with the wheel base size of the blue vehicle, so we can establish the box dimensions?

The max width should probably be 13, if I counted correctly. Or 11, if we need to have a single unit margin on each side. Or is it 17 wide, so the car can be 15? 

So you’ve gone for a tyre size and not a Wheel Rim one. no balloon tyres then @Jim?

As to the box size you should be able to calculate it if someone has a CAD file of the Transporter. I’d make sure you are clear on if you quote vehicle size or the size of the box it must fit within. The box would be 2 stud bigger in every dimension.

also can the chassis picture be a picture of the underside? You say a picture before you put the body on top

Edited by Seasider

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

also can the chassis picture be a picture of the underside? You say a picture before you put the body on top

Actually, I am more interested in the actual/entire chassis, not just the underside. I will make that more clear.

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

So you’ve gone for a tyre size and not a Wheel Rim one. no balloon tyres then @Jim?

Yup. Balloon tires will result in exotic vehicles and I would like to narrow it down to regular vehicles/cars (of course there will be the occasional hot-rod).

6 minutes ago, Jurss said:

@Jim What about those old type narrow tyres https://rebrickable.com/parts/56898/tyre-432-x-14-offset-tread/ ?

Let's stick to the ones mentioned. Otherwise, I will open up a can of worms and I need to take a look at every new request for tires.

The ones mentioned are rather common, so I assume enough people will have them in their collection.

Just now, Jim said:

Let's stick to the ones mentioned.

OK, just clarifying.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

max box size of ...... (help me out here guys).

Do you want the size of the car from 42098 ?

And just a question, are we allowed to make a real car ?

Just now, Touc4nx said:

Do you want the size of the car from 42098 ?

And just a question, are we allowed to make a real car ?

Yeah, that would be helpful.

And yes, you can make a real car.

I think the corvette may be slightly longer than the blue car.

we could also use the dimensions of one of the lower levels on the transporter

Edited by Seasider

Just now, Seasider said:

I think the corvette may be slightly longer than the blue car.

we could also use the dimensions of one of the lower levels on the transporter

Is the lower level wider or narrower?

I am not so concerned with length btw.The width and height limits are more important.

The blue car is 36X15 studs (37 long if we count the hand of god.)
And 11 stud high.

1280x853.jpg

Edited by Touc4nx
Added height

So my latest count of 15 studs for the car was correct. Let stick to 15 wide.

How much space (height-wise) is there on the lower part of the transporter?

@Jim I see the point of  the limitations, but it would be nice to include the 15413 tire too, as it is included in the 42098. I do believe it would increase the variety of entries, still connected well to the origin set. As I don't own 30699 tire, it would be nice to have an alternative at least.

@Jim I am really looking forward to this contest! :-)

Are MOCs of real cars allowed? Or maybe moc(k)ups of real cars like the blue Dodge Charger car in the 42098?

Just now, Jundis said:

@Jim I am really looking forward to this contest! :-)

Are MOCs of real cars allowed? Or maybe moc(k)ups of real cars like the blue Dodge Charger car in the 42098?

5 hours ago, Jim said:

And yes, you can make a real car.

8 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

12 Studs

So the car should be 11 studs tall maximum, nobody wants to scrape the roof on the transporter, right?

What's the length limit? Corvette looks to be about 37 studs with the HOG gear in the back.

Edited by BusterHaus

Good to see a new compo. I think this will be fun. Curious how everyone's cars will end up. I'll try to enter this time (I skipped a few times) - I should have those tyres lying around somewhere (the wide ones). This theme and the smaller size allow me to play around with colors a bit. I'll probably go for a multi-color bodywork.

Have fun, all! :D

So 40-ish x 15 x 11 

I am so excited for this!

Before I set to work on the model, can someone please confirm for me that my restrictions box the right dimensions?

TC18 Size box