LEGO Train 12 Volts

7710 with Red and Black motor

I have always snubbed the 7710 set because it is not motorized, but after seeing the various models made by @Paperinik77pk during these days I'm evaluating the idea of expanding my collection of 12 volts by purchasing this set and power it immediately! :sweet:

The doubt, however, is: Red engine or Black engine? :look:

The red engine costs a fortune but the black engine makes the locomotive too dark.

So I thought of replacing the black base with a red one and matching the black engine.

Which of the two versions do you prefer?

I put some photos of the renderings made today with the locomotives in comparison and the related convoys! :wink:

...ah I was forgetting ...I added the doors to the locomotive to make it a little more valuable, without them it reminded me of my very first (and needy :grin:) set 171.

7710-01.jpg

7710-02.jpg

7710-03.jpg

7710-04.jpg

7710-05.jpg

7710-06.jpg

7710-07.jpg

7710-08.jpg

7710-09.jpg

7710-10.jpg

7710-11.jpg

7710-12.jpg

Hi there! :sweet:

Gooooood question!

It is all a matter of cost and look (plus originality of the set).

First thing, in 7710 instructions TLG shows the optional 7865 Motor, which was only in black. Therefore, also back in time, a 7710 could have been expanded only with that option. The path of perfect originality goes in this direction. But...

...Red Motor is the perfect choice for having a nice look and give some credit to this small locomotive. Plus, it's a German one, so red wheels and chassis are a perfect choice. Red motor is expensive, but will be more and more and more valuable in the future. The bad side is: a 7730/7750/7727 will be particularly sorry to see their motor on a 7710 ! Sincerely...who cares? :tongue:

Red or Black base...no doubt here, at least for me. Black one, otherwise the locomotive will resemble too much the 7810. But for the original sets I want a perfect original look, so it's a matter of personal taste.

Red or black cylinders? Black with black motor, black also with the red one. Big sister 7730 is teaching us this way! :laugh:

Doors or not - again a matter of taste - I prefer the original version without doors.

So , currently my 12v version has: black base, black buffers, red motor, working central 12v headlight and reproduction stickers. Same for the 4,5v version but in addition there's a blue battery car of the 7720 (optional at the time) and a 4,5v light brick :sweet:

One thing I would recommend you...build 2 more wagons - they are a nice addition!!!

Ciaaaao!

Davide

Black base with black motor, even if it looks dark, it looks less German, as all the other steam 12V locomotives are. But if you really don't want the two same colors, I think that black base with red motor doesn't look bad either. I powered mine with a MOCed 4,5V tender (with set n°107), so it's also possible this way if you want something other (and cheaper) than a 12V motor.

Edit: 50th message in 8 years, that's definitely the speed of a 4,5V train!

Edited by Evans
50th post

So ...thanks @Paperinik77pk  and @Selander for your view, I think that Davide has a true purist point of view (an I respect it), but giving up the red cylinders, the red base and the doors is a violence for me ... the red base, however, with a red engine would remind too much the 7715 and the 7727, locomotives that I already have (also with a tender in 7750 style)

12volt-076.jpg

12volt-148.jpg

12volt-211.jpg

I think I will try the solution suggested by @Selander since I don't respect the original design so much ... if I have to make a bang I have to do it big! :devil_laugh::laugh:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

8 minutes ago, Evans said:

I powered mine with a MOCed 4,5V tender (with set n°107), so it's also possible this way if you want something other (and cheaper) than a 12V motor.

Edit: 50th message in 8 years, that's definitely the speed of a 4,5V train!

Nice idea, I can use the 12 volts motor (part. X550a) and leave the locomotive with the original wheels ...however the piston rods cannot be used :sceptic:

9 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

piston rods cannot be used

There is still possibility to put 70's piston rods (like in set n°133), these are yellow, but it's better than nothing. I still need to find a pair for my 7710. :classic:

36 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

So ...thanks @Paperinik77pk  and @Selander for your view, I think that Davide has a true purist point of view (an I respect it), but giving up the red cylinders, the red base and the doors is a violence for me ... the red base, however, with a red engine would remind too much the 7715 and the 7727, locomotives that I already have (also with a tender in 7750 style)

I think I will try the solution suggested by @Selander since I don't respect the original design so much ... if I have to make a bang I have to do it big! :devil_laugh::laugh:

eeeeh yes :blush: , I admit it - on original sets I'm a bit too much rigid - that's why probably I'm so interested in  retro-Mocs - so I can do whatever I likeeee! Mwuhahahahhaah!!! (bad villain laugh) :devil::devil_laugh:

Go for the big-bang!!! At this point  three working headlights and tail lights are a mandatory requirement! :wub::wub::wub:

Ciao!

Davide

5 hours ago, Evans said:

There is still possibility to put 70's piston rods (like in set n°133)

I've that set and is one of my favorite locomotives (with set 182) but those rods are too yellow and too weak for the gray era in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Go for the big-bang!!! At this point  three working headlights and tail lights are a mandatory requirement! :wub::wub::wub:

Ciao!

Davide

Oh yes, I will use 5 warm leds (the doors are there also to cover wires of tail lights)! :wink:

I can't immagine one of my locomotive without lights! :laugh:

Great job modifying 7710.  I used to enjoy pushing it around during breaks in writing lab reports.   :classic:

14 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I used to enjoy pushing it around during breaks in writing lab reports.   :classic:

Oh yes, an excellent antistress! :laugh:

12 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That engine looks great with the lights and side rods! :thumbup:

The side rods do justice to this small locomotive! :wink:

Those render pic.'s looks very nice.

The 7710 is most close to original with red 12v motor and without the doors :wink: . Yes I know, that costs twice of black one. And 2 extra wagons give the little train more 'body'. Were did you get those stickers? There are people who make reproductions, so close you can't see the difference with original.

img_5955.jpg

Edited by BillytheKid

Hi all, Cris here, new to the forum.

I'm motorizing my 7710 locomotive, inspired by the nice options and renders in this topic. So first of all thanks for that :thumbup:

I've decided to go for a black motor and have both a black and red base to try out, starting with black. Combined with the rods and grey rubber tires it actually looks pretty good.

My question; how in earth do you light this thing? :) I mean, using 12v lego lighting. I tried using a 1x6 with prisms for the lower 2 lights and a 12v light block behind the centered higher light. This will likely work, but it leaves an annoying seam behind the 1x6 with the prisms. I'm also afraid light will bleed out from the sides. To light the rear I guess is easy with a 1x6 and prisms, but in that case you'll likely want doors or another way to prevent seeing the white light brick. 

Curious on your thoughts, here's a photo where you can see the seems at the front (1x6 with prisms)

http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/7710loc12v-a.jpg
http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/7710loc12v-b.jpg

7710loc12v-b-small.jpg

Edited by cozzie4d

15 hours ago, cozzie4d said:

Hi all, Cris here, new to the forum.

I'm motorizing my 7710 locomotive, inspired by the nice options and renders in this topic. So first of all thanks for that :thumbup:

I've decided to go for a black motor and have both a black and red base to try out, starting with black. Combined with the rods and grey rubber tires it actually looks pretty good.

My question; how in earth do you light this thing? :) I mean, using 12v lego lighting. I tried using a 1x6 with prisms for the lower 2 lights and a 12v light block behind the centered higher light. This will likely work, but it leaves an annoying seam behind the 1x6 with the prisms. I'm also afraid light will bleed out from the sides. To light the rear I guess is easy with a 1x6 and prisms, but in that case you'll likely want doors or another way to prevent seeing the white light brick. 

Curious on your thoughts, here's a photo where you can see the seems at the front (1x6 with prisms)

http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/7710loc12v-a.jpg
http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/7710loc12v-b.jpg

7710loc12v-b-small.jpg

Given I've seen a number of his other locomotives, I dare say he uses a separate small 9v PP3 battery and thin wires soldered to equally small LED:s. So it is a custom non-lego lighting solution.

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake

24 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

12 v current!

12V voltage - I could not resist, Emanuele - Alessandro Volta, the brilliant Italian physicist ...

The current guy is from France - also brilliant, but wait - you are right: It is the current driven by a 12V voltage. Ha! You just left out a word like induced or driven ... I get it!

All the best and say hello to the family!

Yours,
Thorsten

For lighting: at various times, I've used either a 1x6 prism brick (replacing the headlamp bricks, and set one stud further back) or LEDs. With the LEDs, I used red/green ones and a bridge rectifier, so they lit up yellow (red+green) when going forwards and red when going backwards. Red/yellow would have been easier but I couldn't source any then.

I managed to light it up, both the 3 lights at the front as well as the back, using 3 original lego lighting bricks and hiding all the cables in the center :)

Let me know what you think.

http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/lego7710lit1.jpg
http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/lego7710lit2.jpg
http://www.sierracosworth.nl/img/lego7710lit.mov

lego7710lit1.jpg

Edited by cozzie4d

Your choices aren't limited to red and black motors. You could also put a 12v power unit in a blue or yellow motor.