Sign in to follow this  

Ahoy, mateys!

I'd like to present to you a Lego Ideas project - The Royal Flagship - a classic style, modular, set-like looking ship-of-the-line with lots of play features.

SUPPORT NOW

49696445758_4bfe91839f_b.jpg

Stats and overview:

49697288137_dc3f952473_b.jpg

Features:

49697288752_5a493eb4fc_c.jpg

49696446793_cb67bf2351_c.jpg

49696446913_d983897bf4_c.jpg

49696447453_bfa75140f9_c.jpg

49696981516_5262ea0245_c.jpg

----------

About:

I started this project with a specific intention - to design a multi deck vessel that can be both - a Lego set-like looking ship that's fun to play with, and a decently realistic shelf model of a true ship-of-the-line. And all of this had to fit in the Lego Ideas framework, specifically it had to contain 3000 parts or less.
No easy undertaking, and I've failed to come up with something that I liked a couple of times over the past years. This design now, however, I think it quite does it. Sure, it might not be playful enough to some, and not realistic enough looking to others, and then there's the fact there are only stud-shooters instead of ye olde Lego cannons... (:pir_mad:) But I hope the compromise I found is appealing to at least some of you; and that it proves that ships-of-the-line can be done as sets by Lego.

Some decisions I took along the way:

• Use stud shooters instead of spring powered cannons (*boo-ing noises in the background* :pir-grin:) But hear me out - let's face it, no single set will ever contain that many classic cannons. So the Royal Flagship features easy to remove stud shooter based custom cannons that can be fired from outside the ship, but that can also as easily be replaced by your good old spring powered cannons - if you got enough of them, the space is there!
  • Almost no interior, except for the captain's cabin. This decision was simply based on Lego Ideas' 3000 parts maximum. Feel free to fill the decks with whatever you would like to see though - there's enough headroom for minifigs to be placed on all decks!
  • Relatively simple hull shape, little tumble home, no string rigging. Due to the modular approach, I just couldn't come up with anything more ornate/fancy/complicated - if you have some suggestions, however, feel free to elaborate!

The Royal Flagship was very well received during last year's Bricks @nd Friends exhibition in Cologne; kids especially seemed to like the firing mechanism pretty well - we literally had a blast :pir-grin: Let's see if I can take the ship to a few more exhibitions this year - if Corona permits.

----------

If you have questions, please ask! And if you got ideas for improvements, I'm all ears!

If I convinced you - please support on Lego Ideas! And feel free to share with friends and other pirates enthusiasts - every vote counts!

Thank you for watching :pir-blush:

SUPPORT NOW

Excellent ship! I like it a lot!
Love the two cannon decks! And that it can be split in 3 parts!

I have voted for this some time ago and I really hope it gets 10.000 votes and then LEGO approved, but I try not to keep my expectations very high.

Just a few observations, according to my opinion and visual perspective:
1. The sails seem to be a little small or few, compared to the whole size and height of the main ship.
    It is a bigger ship than the 10210 Imperial Flagship, so I think it needs at least the same number and volume of masts and sails.
    So one big main mast in the center and 2 slightly shorter masts.
2. The front mast maybe it needs to be moved a little backwards.
3. Mast rigging is essential and needs to be added (both for realism and play-ability). Even a simple one will make a huge difference, like using parts 2541-6057-47996.
4. Add this type of sail to the rear mast (green circle):

Y90wZj0.jpg

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

This splendid vessel hasn't received the attention it deserves so I've posted in it the Classic Pirates Facebook Group!

I've missed this, what a beautiful ship! It has a lot of play features, with a realistic looking. It's really regretful that it didn't get the attention it deserves.

A little late to the party due to various reasons but...don't worry KB, people can't appreciate beauty (I mean how can Seinfeld came to fruition rather than a majestic ship like yours that is full of play!!!)

Hope that all is well up there in the stormy North!

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

mean how can Seinfeld came to fruition rather than a majestic ship like yours that is full of play!!!

It was because the ship was submitted to LEGO Ideas prior to Classic Pirates coming out of retirement and building the capacity to blast these submissions all over Social Media. :pir-grin:

On 7/22/2021 at 9:19 AM, Mister Phes said:

It was because the ship was submitted to LEGO Ideas prior to Classic Pirates coming out of retirement and building the capacity to blast these submissions all over Social Media. :pir-grin:

Bad timing! Poor us pirate lovers...

On 7/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Bad timing! Poor us pirate lovers...

Aye, its been the Davy Jones' Locker of many a pirate...