Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

[MOC] SNCF BB9200 12v "Le Capitole" - in "Blue Era" style

Hi all!

Here's another "Blue Era" train - this time we're in France and the famous train I've tried to replicate is the very elegant red and white "Capitole". :wub:

Lego SNCF BB9200 12v - "Capitole" - in "Blue Era" stylecapitole12.jpg

I'm thinking about a Lego  "Limited Edition" train back in the days...a special toy that could be nice to find under a Christmas tree, and something to celebrate the end of the great "Blue Era" :laugh: !!!

This train has a personal record - it is my first French train in Lego!  I've always loved the BB Series and I had one Lima model when I was a kid.

The round  trans-clear macaroni parts are taken directly from the "Esso" locomotive depicted in Idea Book 242.

Lego SNCF BB9200 12v - "Capitole" - in "Blue Era" style

As in the FS E444 Tee, stickers were designed in Powerpoint and applied on Lego bricks using Bricklink parts editor.

Lego SNCF BB9200 12v - "Capitole" - in "Blue Era" style

The wagons (pardon..."voitures" :wink:)  are a recolored version of the ones I used on the Italian TEE. The font used for the sticker is similar (but not the same) to the original one. I could not find a font perfectly matching the very elegant script of the prototype.

I hope you like it!!!

Ciao!

Davide

Excellent creation! Instantly recognisable! It shows the potential there is to make interesting creations with pre-1980 parts. It would have sold like hot cakes back then considering the success it had with toy trains in France.

This one is on my to-do list for a Gray Era treatment, maybe in Corail livery.

Wow, this is very nice in that retro way!  All your recent 12V-era trains take me back to when I discovered that there was a Trains Ideas Book #7777.  (Goodness knows why I wasn't into Town & Trains when I was young, only (Classic) Space) Well done for that style of building!

19 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Congrats on making the EB front page! I think three train MOC's have now hit the front page in the past month.

Thanks :laugh:!!! Initially I did not notice I was on the featured topics *oh2* !!! Yesterday I saw your message and I looked at the Portal's page!

Thanks all for support!!! :laugh::wub:

Davide

Your work capturing what could have been got me thinking about the actual blue era sets. I think the closest the blue era ever came to your designs would be the combination of 727 and 164

727-1.png164-1.png

32 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Your work capturing what could have been got me thinking about the actual blue era sets. I think the closest the blue era ever came to your designs would be the combination of 727 and 164

727-1.png164-1.png

Great @zephyr1934 !!! In fact this last "Blue Era" Style is the inspiration for the whole line of "famous trains" I designed. The headlights stickers are got directly from the 727 - and allow me to use the round macaroni bricks for frontal parts. It is a solution that reminds me the old lithographies on tin toy trains. The stickers and the "deformed" look of these locomotives built on standard chassis give me that "old toy" feel I particularly like :wub:

On 4/2/2020 at 5:59 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What I like most is to see such shining pieces on a system older than 40 years! :wub:

I love it too!!! The only problem to have a "shiny" train today is find light gray parts in good condition...I am tempted to try the retrobright process on some yellowed parts - I have all the needed stuff (i got that for retrobrighing a Commodore Vic20) - so it could be worth trying! :sweet: