greg3

XOcean XO USV (Unmanned Surface Vessel) [MOC]

This build represents a remotely operated surface vessel (USV) of the type operated by XOcean to conduct a range of monitoring/survey missions at sea. I was inspired to build it after spotting one of the vessels operating just off the coast where I live (at first I thought it was a whale :blush:) The vessels can operate for 18 days at sea and are remotely controlled by a human operator via satellite. The can carry up to 100kg of sensors allowing them to: monitor the weather/ocean conditions, survey the seabed, monitor fish stocks and collect data from seabed sensors. 

The vessel is about the size of a car and can be transported by road and launched from a boat trailer. The hull itself would be covered in solar panels, which along with internal batteries and micro diesel generators, power the sensors and electric motors.

49695183227_aa9b72a281_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The top platform carries a GPS system, navigation lights and a weather station.

49695183132_b1ed9484b4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

At the rear is the main broadband satellite system antenna

49694878381_7ae02196d4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

My version is still a bit of a WIP as I'm still tweaking on the underside/hull design but I think it looks OK so far!!

Thanks for looking... comments are always welcome.

Looks very cool! I've never seen one so cannot comment on its realistic appearance, but it certainly looks as if it could work in a modern seashore or port area of a city setup.  I love the details on it, like the top platform and rear antenna.  Very well done!