Paperinik77pk

[MOC] FS E444 12v "Tee Ligure" - in "Blue Era" style

Hi all,

I've always wanted to recreate some Italian locomotive in 6-wide, but I've never attempted at it really. I've never built a real MOC in Blue Era style too. So, I decided to do both things at the same time :laugh:.

Therefore, after looking at the various models of Italian locomotives of 60s and 70s (I couldn't go further 1979 - after that year , I'd have to build it in "Gray Era" style :wink: ), I chose the E444 "Tartaruga" , one of my favourites.

Then I had to check if all needed parts (especially gray ones) were available at the time. So I got some models of 1979 (some space Sets had gray bricks) and some catalogues.

I kept the original 12v motor , baseplate and fake bogies of the sets of the time.

This is the result:

FS E444 12V - Blue Era - TEE "Ligure"

Well, the "nose" it's a bit boxy - but no gray round parts were available at the time and SNOT was not a feasible option :sweet:.

I found it's quite impossible to recreate small details - so the idea is to work on colors and try to "resemble" the prototype as much as possible.

After the locomotive, I needed something to pull, and I chose the TEE wagons.

FS E444 12V 2 - Blue Era - TEE "Ligure"

The E444 plus TEE cars were composing some really nice trains back in the 70s - and all of them had a specific name, according to the cities they were connecting and/or the path they were following.

• Milano-Genova-Ventimiglia-Avignone: «Ligure»
  • Milano-Torino-Lione: «Mont Cenis»
  • Milano-Ginevra: «Lemano»
  • Milano-Parigi: «Cisalpin»
  • Milano-Como-Zurigo-Basilea: «Ticino» e «Gottardo»
  • Milano-Monaco: «Mediolanum»

Since I was born in Genova, and I live near Milan...the logical solution was choosing the "Ligure" :laugh:.

All information were taken from this fantastic site (also in English!!!):

http://www.miol.it/stagniweb/rr01.htm

It is quite fun building in blue era style, very relaxing!

Let me know what do you think about it! :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Nice MOC, it's so rare to see proper blue era MOCs. You should use the 2x2 macaroni bricks (3063), these were already in production in Lt.Gray in 1979 for a NA only set.

Aso, you should up your base by one plate in order for the wheels to turn in curves. You can put one plate high between the motor and the baseplate to do that.

Don't forget that as long as a mold is existing, you can use the part in any era-accurate color; Lego designers were introducing existing parts in not already produced colors, so why not you in an alternate reality? :wink:

I see some well known TEE names, it's nice to have this historic background.

11 minutes ago, Evans said:

you should up your base by one plate in order for the wheels to turn in curves. You can put one plate high between the motor and the baseplate to do that.

I thinks that this locomotive can already turn in curves, the whells are managed as the set n. 182

4 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I thinks that this locomotive can already turn in curves

I was speaking about the blue plates under the base, which will be touched by the wheels when turning. The front wheel holder needs some clearance under the base. There are no plates under the black base in set 182. :wink:

20 hours ago, Evans said:

I was speaking about the blue plates under the base, which will be touched by the wheels when turning. The front wheel holder needs some clearance under the base. There are no plates under the black base in set 182. :wink:

You are right!!! I missed the gray macaroni in the big Lunar base set from 1979!!! This changes the whole thing.

Since we're in 1979 - I worked a bit with the Part Designer tool and recreated some stickers for headlights (including top one)  instead of windows or trans-clear bricks (727 style). There's also another sticker I could not avoid to create... :wub:

LEGO FS E444 12V - Blue Era Style

I changed a bit also the side low grilles and, since Technic parts were available, 4 round windows as the real prototype.

The 3x1 blue plates blocked a bit the wheels - I replaced them with 2x1. I tried with 181 locomotive and there's no problem on curves or switches.

21 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

So sweet ...I love this loco and the wagons with four axles! :wub:

Thanks Emanuele, I hope the newer version is better!:laugh:

20 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's a very nice engine...it does look like something Lego would have produced in the 70s! :thumbup:

Thanks!!! It's a very nice comment! :sweet:

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Very nice! Any chance you could post a photo of the prototype for comparison?

444.083.finale.14.1.75.tee-mi.avign_.tcs

Thanks!!! Here it is! :wub:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Two more pictures:

One of the updated wagons:

FS E444 12V - Blue Era - TEE "Ligure" wagon

...and one of the whole TEE consist:

FS E444 12V - Blue Era Consist

I'm currently creating different cars to make the train a bit more interesting, I will post them once ready! :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

I believe @Paperinik77pk is the true LEGO 12V era designer.

I like all the models you create so much. I "grew up" with 12V but my parents never had the money to buy any of these wonderful creations from TLG.

When I was making enough money to buy a few train sets it was 9V time.

But honestly? 12V it is for me. The shapes - the use of bricks, not necessarily the track. The track is fine, but so is 9V - even with some advantages - and not sacrificing the true LEGO look.  You need to be so experienced and smart, full of creativity and imagination to recreate the iconic trains - engines and cars - using the rather clumsy bricks of that wonderful time.

And this is what you show us here - again and again.

Thank you very much for sharing. I keep all the pictures of your models in one folder on my laptop called: "Paperinik77pk"

All the best
Thorsten

11 hours ago, Toastie said:

I believe @Paperinik77pk is the true LEGO 12V era designer.

I like all the models you create so much. I "grew up" with 12V but my parents never had the money to buy any of these wonderful creations from TLG.

When I was making enough money to buy a few train sets it was 9V time.

But honestly? 12V it is for me. The shapes - the use of bricks, not necessarily the track. The track is fine, but so is 9V - even with some advantages - and not sacrificing the true LEGO look.  You need to be so experienced and smart, full of creativity and imagination to recreate the iconic trains - engines and cars - using the rather clumsy bricks of that wonderful time.

And this is what you show us here - again and again.

Thank you very much for sharing. I keep all the pictures of your models in one folder on my laptop called: "Paperinik77pk"

All the best
Thorsten

Thanks Thorsten for your kind words, and for that folder!:laugh:

I'll go on with these models (both in gray and blue era) because simply they give me a warm feeling I cannot get from newer MOCs, even if I'm only designing and not building them all.

But there is the possibility to build them, also with new parts, or from easily findable old parts. The E444 and the BB9200 are based on a platform which is not so cheap, I know...and for this I'm trying some new built platforms that could allow to build even more eye-pleasing things, even with a toy-rated look.:wub:

12v is a nice system , both in blue and gray era...it is toyish and keeps the feeling of "unlimited possibilities". But sincerely, 9v track is easier to use and more practical for a temporary layout. Plus, It has a realistic feel that I'm beginning to appreciate (I never had a 9v train at the time - my hobby was already retrocomputing).

Wheels in 4,5v and 12v are AWFUL from a dynamic point of view. I have to use Singer oil on each wheel in order to avoid screeching and in order to have a smooth action...three 12v wagons are heavy to pull even by hand! *huh*

Ciao and thank you again :laugh:

Davide