Sign in to follow this  
blackdeathgr

[OL - ChIII-CatA] - Wooden houses of Lotii

Marcus Pololieu was a famous traveller of Oleon. He even wrote some travelling guides of lands afar, which sadly only the aristocratic ladies in Oleon were reading due to his unfortunate style of writing. He didn't have any editor to inform him that travelling guides need not exhume romantism or drama... Thus he was another writer that never got himself elevated to the upper echelons of society (i.e. become filthy rich). Nevertheless, when the Kingdom of Lotus huge ships called "Djunks" were seen at the horizon of New Terra, the Oleon king at the behest of the Queen mother, invited Pololieu to the Palace to brief them about that not-so-new nation after all.

- My King, blah, blah, blah...

After two hours...

- ...Regarding their habitats, due to the huge and calm rivers that cross vast cultivated valleys, many grand cities of the Lotii are situated by rivers or even on them. So many Lotii choose to build two or three storied houses on wooden trunks firmly attached to the riverbeds. From there they feel safe but they can also spy at their neighbours, fish, or even do the laundry. It is a miracle how these buildings don't collapse in the water or how the Lotii don't fall into the river regularly. One day when I was walking, a woman with white powder on her face and dressed in red called me smiling to her house for tea. Upon entering she... blah, blah, blah... oh, happy times indeed, for she... blah, blah, blah...

49685323628_ff5246bfc2_z.jpg

Spoiler

49685317068_a202f7c004_z.jpg

More photos at Flickr. C&C as always appreciated.

Edited by blackdeathgr

Looks like a fun build! I can imagine a village full of these, should be a cool diorama :sweet:

I could see those houses pilling up upon a bay with many boats all around; something we could encounter at Hong Kong !

Great job !

Thanks guys! I initially wanted to make a proper neighbourhood of these type of buildings but ironically I ran out of free time :tongue: Also cat kept harrasing me when building with those brown tiles.

As Faladrin stated, a lot of those combined would make something very interesting :)

The pipe is indeed a sweet detail :)

:laugh: :rofl: That first paragraph (especially) is just hilarious!  And nice work with that elevated house as well - I particularly like the mast pole for spying on your neighbors :tongue: :pir-laugh:

On 3/26/2020 at 9:53 PM, Maxim I said:

As Faladrin stated, a lot of those combined would make something very interesting :)

The pipe is indeed a sweet detail :)

Thanks Maxim! Initially I wanted to cramp many of those houses tightly but then I ran out of time (and some specialized bricks but that could be arranged). Regarding the pipe, there was a thought to turn it into a bbq device roasting fish but i think it looks better in its current use.

9 hours ago, Garmadon said:

:laugh: :rofl: That first paragraph (especially) is just hilarious!  And nice work with that elevated house as well - I particularly like the mast pole for spying on your neighbors :tongue: :pir-laugh:

I'm glad you liked it! The moment Challenge III began with an "asian" theme, I knew I had to include Marco Polo's journeys (or his distant cousin Pololieu that is) :tongue:

I really like this concept and it is nicely executed with those smooth SNOT walls. As mentioned a stack of these together would look amazing, but the 32x32 restriction was... well quite restrictive!!! The coloured clips making (prayer?) flags is a lovely little detail I will mostly likely borrow one of these days. Nice entry!

Just now, Ayrlego said:

I really like this concept and it is nicely executed with those smooth SNOT walls. As mentioned a stack of these together would look amazing, but the 32x32 restriction was... well quite restrictive!!! The coloured clips making (prayer?) flags is a lovely little detail I will mostly likely borrow one of these days. Nice entry!

Thanks Ayrlego! The more the better is always true and I believe I could circumvent the 32x32 base building upwards. Still time and bricks forbade it. The colorful clips (insert flags/laundry/whatever) were an afterthought mainly to break the reddish brown monotony. In the end, they were a highlight! Borrow at your leisure!

, I like the use of brown plates and round tiles to enhance the wooden effect of the build. Is it Master Wu in the tub?

On 3/30/2020 at 3:09 AM, Bodi said:

, I like the use of brown plates and round tiles to enhance the wooden effect of the build. Is it Master Wu in the tub?

Thanks Bodi! Well technically the two minifigs are a blend of Master Wu and a random civilian from the LEGO Ninjago Universe

Edited by blackdeathgr

As others have said, excellent little build. It would have been amazing to see a 32x32 rendition of such a neighborhood - so please improve your time management skills! :pir-tongue:

I would like to see a more uniform background, and a little editing can help with straightening the pictures, as they are a bit off canter.

My favourite part (apart from the idea) is the story - the idea of travelling tales for the rich and bored is great!