Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL - FB] Fort Arltrees

Fort Arltrees, February 620, El Oleonda

The fort giving the name to the new Oleander settlement was finally completed. Fort Artrees was not much more than a palisade surrounding a few buildings, but now nobody could dislodge the small contingent without a hard fight.

Fort Arltrees

Lieutenant Marcel Dubois, the officer in charge of the garrison, was quite satisfied by the result: now, at least, nobody could take them by surprise, and more soldiers would soon have flowed towards the settlement… or at least that was the plan.  

Fort Arltrees

Meanwhile, he had decided to reinforce all the weak points with additional defences: the soldiers built some cheval de Frise to protect the cannon loopholes...

Fort Arltrees

...and deployed a real forest of pointy poles to prevent an attacker from approaching the wall with ropes and ladders.

Fort Arltrees

The garrison spent the rest of the time doing little jobs, such as unpacking tools, sharpening a blade with a whetstone or "testing the quality" of some Oleander aquavit.

Fort Arltrees

Others spend some time gambling, something strictly forbidden in most garrisons, but allowed in Fort Arltrees, considering the absence of any leisure or distraction.

Fort Arltrees

Everybody, however, was ready to run to his position in case of need… and more than grateful for the 24-pounders just unloaded from the warship Scamander.

Fort Arltrees

Overall view:

Fort Arltrees

Not so much to say about this build… I wanted to show the complete fort before licensing it. Despite the plot size (32x32) I will license it as a small fort, due to both the simplicity of the building and, storywise, the rushed and not exactly irresistible defences. Thank you for watching!

Edited by Keymonus

I am glad that the fort was completes so quickly. That speaks volumes about the competence of our military engineers!

A great fort design. Though simple in purpose, there are plenty of cool details to check out. Hopefully it doesn't get blasted to pieces by Loti or Carnite cannon fire! :grin:

Thank you guys! Probably the whole construction is not so impressive, but I'm quite proud of the little scenes going on!

On 3/23/2020 at 3:10 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

A great fort design. Though simple in purpose, there are plenty of cool details to check out. Hopefully it doesn't get blasted to pieces by Loti or Carnite cannon fire! :grin:

I have that hope too! :pir_laugh2: