WesternOutlaw

TRAIN TECH Help, General Questions & Talk to the Staff

One cool feature I discoverd was that I could program the pf controls in my tv's universal remote control/
<br>

Thats is interesting, I wonder if this could allow for more features?

Sal

WFB, WI

One cool feature I discoverd was that I could program the pf controls in my tv's universal remote control/
<br>

I had suspected that would be possible to use a universal remote to do just that and it is great to know that it is. There are other functions that you can do, e.g., set motor to a specific speed. But as far as I know the only off the shelf product to do it is the HiTechnic IRLink + NXT

Actually did it the simple way, just took my philips remote control, and put in learning mode. just three codes. forward, backwards and stop. I geuss, you could doe more with it. would be interesting to see if multiple channels work as well.

On what track does it run? I mean the model you intend to make. Minifig scale? Or L gauge for maybe Miniland.

That there is the 15inch gauge but I want to make the model for narrow L gauge track

Hmm I would have used normal track and made it miniland scale. If you decide to use the narrow track, you will have to use the smallest train wheel and those can not accept any drivers. Make it miniland scale. It would look nice.

Hmm I would have used normal track and made it miniland scale. If you decide to use the narrow track, you will have to use the smallest train wheel and those can not accept any drivers. Make it miniland scale. It would look nice.

:tongue: I want to make the model for this track. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=85976 P.S. I am making a half size model out of cardboard :laugh:

Have a good look at Space2310's locomotives using the small scale (Indy jones track) and his associated switch mechanisms. He does use RC wheels and also has a secure way to drive them (a nice design). However the scale for these really small locomotives will look wrong when compared to Lego standard. One solution could be to decide to build a custom track (using Garden Gauge for example) for the 'normal' gauge (8-10 wide); L gauge for Trams and such (6 wide) and IJ Gauge for smaller railroads (4 wide).

5595201923_d9e6906892_n.jpg

[WIP] Cape gauge wye switch by Space2310, on Flickr

5787800268_efafe40aff_n.jpg

PF truck by Space2310, on Flickr

Edited by roamingstudio

The problem with using the RC wheels is that they are too big for a minifig scale narrow gauge such as the locomotive you want to build. The RC wheels are the size of normal train wheels while a narrow gauge steamer would have much smaller wheels.

Hey, hoping this is the right thread to post this in.

I just found a 10001 Metroliner in a bulk lot I purchased but after going through it the stickers are pretty banged up. I have always wanted this set and would like to restore it to a better condition so I was hoping someone had a sticker scan for 10001 they could share with me. Anything would be helpful at this point. I would prefer not to spend the $25-$30 on BL for a new sticker sheet if possible.

Thanks!

So is the red cargo train discontinued now as it is no longer on TLG shop website in the UK under the trains category, I have checked it only moments ago. I thought it was on its way out as the other day it was on sale, then someone said they would be getting more in stock, but now it is gone, not even a 'call to check availability' just not there at all?

Noticed that too the other day. It's a strange set. Introduced while there was still another freight train in stores, rarely available in stores, and now it's phased out after only a year or so while the other freight train is still available.

I'd love to know what Lego's reasoning behind this set was...

So is the red cargo train discontinued now as it is no longer on TLG shop website in the UK under the trains category, I have checked it only moments ago. I thought it was on its way out as the other day it was on sale, then someone said they would be getting more in stock, but now it is gone, not even a 'call to check availability' just not there at all?

3677 Red Cargo Train was listed as Retiring Soon since around November on the US shop.LEGO.com site.

I went back and re-read Brickset's Retiring soon list at shop.LEGO.com article and it looks like the Retiring Soon filter was (is?) only available to folks in the USA and Canada.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

In the U.S. the 3677 red cargo train was marked as limited edition on the box and only sold through Lego and Toys R Us.

Bill

I'd love to know what Lego's reasoning behind this set was...

Yeah, I'd love to know for sure too. I was told just after release (from an impeccable source) that it was intended to replace the Yellow Cargo Train. Given what has happened since I'm not sure if 'replace' meant purely in the Australian market since we didn't get any more local stock of the Yellow train, or fill the gap that unexpected high sales of the Yellow train would leave in the later life cycle if the Red train had not been made.

It will be interesting to see what happens for next Christmas since it is very apparent by 2014 we'll have a bunch of new trains :classic: I predict a least one awesome new Cargo train :tongue:

It will be interesting to see what happens for next Christmas since it is very apparent by 2014 we'll have a bunch of new trains :classic: I predict a least one awesome new Cargo train :tongue:

If it's not too much to ask; why is it apparent?

I'm hoping to have some new trains, preferrably an American passenger one.

Thanks, Joe