Sign in to follow this  
jlassen

487g. Space Cruiser (A modern Re-skin)

The 487 Space cruiser is a workhorse of transport that dates back to the Imperial Fleet. Vacuum hardened interstellar transport that can takeoff and land in gravity and atmosphere, or at any space station in the galaxy.

The original 487 model has been constantly upgraded throughout the decades, and the 487g features increased cargo capacity by expanding the underbelly cabin and linking the previously unpressurized cargo storage with the main cabin.  Increased capacity allows for three fully vac-suited crew, or substantially increased cargo capacity

The G upgrade also features updated avionics… (no more steering wheel!) as well as belly airlock for vacuum that won’t result in depressurization.  Top cockpit hatch now has ladders for ease of access. Each of the landing legs is also a station umbilical port allowing full power and oxygen resupply at any orientation, using standard station uplinks.  Underwing thrusters allow for in atmosphere vstol take-offs, where as previous vstol was limited to no atmosphere and lower gravity planets.

G model features now-standard Black and Orange Livery of the Republic. Imperial "Space Blue" livery is still a retro favorite amongst nostalgia buffs, and ship-spotters, but the Black and orange is slowly replacing the blue amongst the active service 487 cruisers.

When you absolutely positively have to get cargo across the galaxy overnight, the 487g space Cruiser is the ship that delivers!

MsCbFIvpEaztXYBeyBg4jtOTDn1GylIooU59Qb-p

yKNSPQGqr4M_gc0EeDOoZbUXWesVTZ9IiFSwdLjW

WECFKgmxbxgK3DVGJwvbCLkCtag3cujE4LO8jGW8

VHLi5a4d_EttUkJh86gM92DZmSvstgkPOWJE7-lQ

Other than the printed bricks, this re-skin/rebuild uses real colors and available parts.

Here's a link to my Studio.io file

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hwxy8GSUW4NSIGRNR9WwdhKAnhVMeMaL

Have fun conquering the Galaxy!

@jlassen, Some MOCs, while technically brilliant, are dull and lifeless. Yours is just the opposite: uncomplicated and full of character. It’s great! If this had been a set when I was a KFOL, I would certainly have pestered my parents for it. ?

36 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

@jlassen, Some MOCs, while technically brilliant, are dull and lifeless. Yours is just the opposite: uncomplicated and full of character. It’s great! If this had been a set when I was a KFOL, I would certainly have pestered my parents for it. ?

That is really nice of you to say so. Thank you.

Can't wait for my re-skinned "classic Fleet" to grow.

I've done a 3 man "Shuttle" (442: Space Shuttle) and have spent way to much time paying around with a new engine housing for the 1499: Twin Starfire

My aesthetic goals involve recreating the feel of some of the classic space Lego sets, but using modern/available parts/colors. and cleaning up some of the weird anachronism of the sets (steering wheel controls, etc). Some of the design descisions I think were for part count and simplicity sake.  Stuff I don't have to worry about with my rebuilds. :)  

The twin Stafire for example... The tail engine piece, and the 2 $12 cockpit windows? and the cockpit boxes?  uhhg. I think this one would run about $60-100 if you tried to recreate it by parting it on bricklink.