Thirdwigg

[MOC] Thirdwigg Farm Machines (New John Deere Gator)

since today autumn really starts where i live; we finally don't have to worry next 4-5 months about grass growing.

lil mover is cute :wub:

You should give this a try ... totally autonomous, and no operator needed. Must have good WIFI though :)

510256.JPEG

Love what you've done with the rotor ... rather authentic.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, Thirdwigg said:

51807735034_3dee638662_b.jpg

One mechanism I always wanted to replicate is the 'fingers' on the header's rotor, pulling in the wheat, as they move always parallel to one another. That would require building at a larger scale though.

9 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

The Zero Turn Mower

Nice litlle mover. Like this scale.

Cool little mower :-)

The balloon tires work better here than one with tractor tread.

11 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

A vintage Tractor!

Oh yeah, can't wait to see your approach. What wheel combination to you intend to use? :-)

That little mower is so cool, I love that both the engine and the blades are working!

Just been thinking about you a few moments ago, I when I saw a tractor alternate of the Zetros.. :)

18 hours ago, 1gor said:

since today autumn really starts where i live; we finally don't have to worry next 4-5 months about grass growing.

lil mover is cute :wub:

Thanks. Yeah, I tend to publish MOCs after the applicable season has passed... Someday I'll get ahead of things....

13 hours ago, DrJB said:

You should give this a try ... totally autonomous, and no operator needed. Must have good WIFI though :)

Maybe, but the proportions seem a little off to my eye. I guess I like the look with the cab. But the Thirdwigg Farm is fully WiFi, so that wouldn't be a problem.

12 hours ago, DrJB said:

Love what you've done with the rotor ... rather authentic.

One mechanism I always wanted to replicate is the 'fingers' on the header's rotor, pulling in the wheat, as they move always parallel to one another. That would require building at a larger scale though.

Good idea. I've tinkered with the fingers on a bailer, but I haven't yet cracked it. There is this idea, but it could be a little more smooth, as it bogs the PTO on these tractors. I agree it would be a cool feature, so I'll keep working on it.

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

Nice litlle mover. Like this scale.

Thanks again. Yeah, the scale is pretty fun. 

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

Cool little mower :-)

The balloon tires work better here than one with tractor tread.

Oh yeah, can't wait to see your approach. What wheel combination to you intend to use? :-)

Yeah, these tires fit well. I actually "discovered" them when I was trying a little John Deere Gator. That still may happen, but not until next year.

So far I'm using this for the front.

30699.png

And this for the rear. 

69909.png

We'll see how it turns out....

5 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

That little mower is so cool, I love that both the engine and the blades are working!

Just been thinking about you a few moments ago, I when I saw a tractor alternate of the Zetros.. :)

Yeah, my go/no go on this project with having both working features. I tried to do a horizontal engine, but didn't like the look.

Thanks for the though, but yeah, that tractor's not mine. I'm still intimidated by making large Alt builds. Maybe someday....

21 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

The Zero Turn Mower features a little engine and rotating mower blade.

Nice to see what you packed into this small model!

I didn't know the part holding the front wheels actually existed but it's so useful for e.g. an engine hoist. Thanks for using it here.

21 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Next up...

A vintage Tractor!

What's it gonna be, a Lanz, a Porsche, a Fendt, a Deutz?

1 hour ago, johnnym said:

Nice to see what you packed into this small model!

I didn't know the part holding the front wheels actually existed but it's so useful for e.g. an engine hoist. Thanks for using it here.

What's it gonna be, a Lanz, a Porsche, a Fendt, a Deutz?

Yeah, those little airplane nose wheels work well for Technic casters. I used them for a dumpster in past as well.

I'm actually trying to model the tractor after a Farmhall like this; rounded hood and red.

771e3a9eea456c20b7fcf91a3e03a800.jpg

I have the rear drive/PTO unit and steering set, but getting the chassis strong enough is the current challenge. The scale I set for the Thirdwigg Farm does not always do me any favors. 

Edited by Thirdwigg

17 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Yeah, those little airplane nose wheels work well for Technic casters. I used them for a dumpster in past as well.

Seems like I missed that one - well was in my dark age...

I'm actually trying to model the tractor after a Farmhall like this; rounded hood and red.

Nice one, didn't know of that Farmall naming, but tractors colored like those are still around in Germany where I live today. I only saw them under International/McCormick moniker here though - yeah "Farmall" in German sounds more like a cigarette brand ("Pall Mall" :laugh:). Porsche tractors also were red, but a different one if I'm not mistaken and they had a distinct even more rounded engine cover.

I have the rear drive/PTO unit and steering set, but getting the chassis strong enough is the current challenge. The scale I set for the Thirdwigg Farm does not always do me any favors. 

I can feel you, but having multiple similarly scaled verhicles of the same theme is a plus, though kids seem to not mind too much about such details.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, johnnym said:

Nice one, didn't know of that Farmall naming, but tractors colored like those are still around in Germany where I live today. I only saw them under International/McCormick moniker here though - yeah "Farmall" in German sounds more like a cigarette brand ("Pall Mall" :laugh:). Porsche tractors also were red, but a different one if I'm not mistaken and they had a distinct even more rounded engine cover.

I can feel you, but having multiple similarly scaled verhicles of the same theme is a plus, though kids seem to not mind too much about such details.

Yeah, the best I can tell is that Farmall was a big name in the US during the 50s, and then was absorbed by International sometime in the late 50 early 60s.

Current WIP is here.

800x600.jpeg

The scale looks good for the rest of the tractors, but right now I don't like the steering feel and the where the hood is heading....

I'll figure something out.

What a wonderful collection of farm equipment! :thumbup:
I especially like that you chose not a very large scale. They are "simple" in the best sense of the word and there is nothing superfluous in their design. Great job. I look forward to updating the collection.
And my special thanks for the instructions. I will definitely collect them all when my son is a little older and we will build a fun farm together :) :classic:

Edited by Akassin

We found an old rusty tractor sitting in the weeds of the Thirdwigg Farm. We cleaned it up, and decided to share some free instructions to make your own. You may find these at Rebrickable.com

Features

• Steering
  • Fake I2 engine
  • Three point hitch
  • Seat suspension
  • Full Thirdwigg Farm integration

52618375088_f79051d616_b.jpg

Working PTO and three point hitch.

52617887796_cde667881c_b.jpg

With a small ripper.

52618157444_98440bdcbe_b.jpg

And a video to see the suspension seat!

Enjoy, and more stuff is coming soon!

Oh man this is so beautiful and nicely functional in a small package. With a few swappable attachments, these could be so great playable official sets.

49 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Oh man this is so beautiful and nicely functional in a small package. With a few swappable attachments, these could be so great playable official sets.

Thanks! The steering is a little fast for my taste, but everything else works great. Some other attachments is a good idea. Come on LEGO, let’s get some tractor sets!

Beautifull. I like rear fenders, and also grill is really godd with those macaroni piecies.

Yes, rear tires maybe too fat, but that's lego fault :)

What a cutieee!

28 minutes ago, Jurss said:

I think they fit and add even more to the little stubby look ;-)

Crap; you are building smaller and smaller and I can't even stick to 1:18 scale. IMHO it is very nice display model

Wow, I really like it! You're designing and publishing MOC's faster then I can build them :sweet:. It's a really complete tractor with the very important seat suspension!

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

Beautifull. I like rear fenders, and also grill is really godd with those macaroni piecies.

Thanks, Yeah, the fenders were a little epiphany I had about a week ago. I'm glad you like it.

Yeah, LEGO tires always cause some sort of problem.

The macaroni pieces are a little bigger than I wanted, but the effect is good enough. Glad you like them.

11 hours ago, Jundis said:

What a cutieee!

I think they fit and add even more to the little stubby look ;-)

Glad you like it. It is a cute little MOC.

9 hours ago, 1gor said:

Crap; you are building smaller and smaller and I can't even stick to 1:18 scale. IMHO it is very nice display model

Yeah, I think this is about as small as I can go. 

52496177352_b64db47535.jpg

At some point, like with the mower, you only have one function left. And steering is a must for me.

36 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Wow, I really like it! You're designing and publishing MOC's faster then I can build them :sweet:. It's a really complete tractor with the very important seat suspension!

Don't worry, it's gonna slow down here for a little bit. The next few months have a lot going on in my household.

Can you believe, one of the drafts actually had the seat suspension taken out! Then I thought "this can not stand!" so I had to find a way to make it work. I'm glad I did.

Some of the farmers have requested a little UTV, so a Gator is inbound. Steering, RWD with engine, and bed tip so far.

800x600.jpeg

Some work is needed for the styling, but the idea will work.

800x600.jpeg

OK, time for another little addition to the Thirdwigg Farm (kindof). This little John Deere Gator is built in 1:21 scale, which is a little bigger then the Thirdwigg Farm scale (about 1:22). Instructions are available at Rebrickable.com.

53336772442_501629a243_b.jpg

Features:

• Steering with HOG
  • Rear suspension
  • 1 cylinder fake engine
  • Tipping bed
  • Opening tailgate
  • Opening doors

I love the LEGO green, so John Deere tractors are becoming a trend for me.

53337985394_fb7faf40e0_b.jpg

Tipping bed.

53338109790_9f81f65d59_b.jpg

Opening doors

53337649181_fa23d61075_b.jpg

And a little 40 second video to see what it does.

Enjoy again!

Cool little model. I'm curious though, as I didn't follow your progress on this one - did you perhaps try doing this as an alt model for the john deere tractor, or was being close to your tractor scale main focus right away?

Also curious - what's up with your links to your rebricable MOCs under your videos? Is there a reason why you always have something wrong with them? I remember that youtube did sometimes cut some links off for me, but not for rebrickable.

43 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Cool little model. I'm curious though, as I didn't follow your progress on this one - did you perhaps try doing this as an alt model for the john deere tractor, or was being close to your tractor scale main focus right away?

Thanks for the comment. It is not an alt model, it's stand along. The hope was for the scale to be the same, but adding features stretched it to 1:21.

44 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Also curious - what's up with your links to your rebricable MOCs under your videos? Is there a reason why you always have something wrong with them? I remember that youtube did sometimes cut some links off for me, but not for rebrickable.

Generally, it's because I don't add the links, and have to add them later. You tend to find the error before I get to it.

1 minute ago, Thirdwigg said:

Generally, it's because I don't add the links, and have to add them later. You tend to find the error before I get to it.

I think you're loosing a lot of traffic by not adding working links, especially when it comes to people watching your videos on the phone because it's cumbersome few clicks to manually go to a website and find your MOC there.

My trick for my laziness when it comes to adding the link is that rebrickable is still accepting shortening links to just MOC number by removing everything after it like this:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-164338/thirdwigg/john-deere-gator/#details -> https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-164338 and this is short enough for youtube to not cut it away and optimise as it sometimes does.

Anyway, good model, I have to get some of those tyres and try making something with them as well, because I keep seeing those in really cool small sized models. And also experiment with those rubber pieces you used for suspension, and btw I still need to try building the chassis from your TC20 model with those, gotta see this trick with flexible chassis IRL :)