astral brick

Are forums still relevant when compared to comments?

7 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

AS @KotZ said, I think LEGO is a niche enough hobby that anyone who really wants to talk about it in a real way will find a forum that caters to the fandom. Hopefully that forum would be Eurobricks. 

The forum must still get some decent ratings on a search engine for a national newspaper to grab quotes from it. There is a bit more effort to run an Instagram page to attract people. Makoy is our Social Media guy too :grin:

As for Tik Tok, if I had any idea what it was I think I could form an opinion? 

Gen Xers use Tik Tok to do dance videos and other short videos. It's like Vine but there's more of a social media aspect to it.

Edited by tfcrafter

I feel old. :cry2:(I never did understand Vine either!)

Right, not sure what LEGO/Eurobricks could be done on that.

Maybe if I am stuck at home for 14 days I could give it a go :laugh: I'll need something to fill my time.

7 minutes ago, tfcrafter said:

Gen Xers use Tik Tok to do dance videos and other short videos. It's like Vine but there's more of a social media aspect to it.

It's more of a plague than the coronavirus :roflmao:. There's no real way anything like eurobricks could work, though one of my more "hip" friends said there were alot of memes about the lego star wars game from 2006 on it awhile back.

15 minutes ago, GREG998 said:

I find your behaviour against me a little bit  too much hostile, to be honest. I don't think i have unfold so much hostility towards you.

Whatever you say, man. Just let me know when you buy the site. :laugh:

Eurobricks is really quite a bit past its shelf life when it comes to what's trendy on the internet. Forum style communication stopped being popular years ago, but I think it's superior to what has come after it. Let's be honest folks: Twitter, Facebook, etc. are all garbage platforms for discussion. You really can't have a long, drawn out conversation with one or several others on those platforms, either due to a character limit or it being buried in a timeline somewhere. On EB, when you make a new post the topic goes right to the top so everyone can see it. Sure, it has its issues, like when some genius bumped a 13 year old topic recently, but that just adds to the fun :wink:

I also think that forums like EB build member loyalty in a way. I don't know the statistics but I would guess that we have a higher rate of engagement from our longest-tentured members than most other platforms. That's important for maintaining the culture we have here and making sure that future members can experience it.

EB is an oasis of levelheadedness in the cesspool that is social media. Be grateful that it's here!

15 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Well, presumably it's down to younger generations having the attention span of a mouse these days and the mere concept of a structured debate being foreign to most people to begin with.

Maybe, but this is also what every generation thinks about the previous one.

It's an inherent issue with a commercial hobby driven by a single, quasi-monopolistic vendor can only up being a wank contest of who does a review the fastest and gets the most views, even more so since there is a quadrizillion LEGO blogs, YouTube channels and so on.

You are absolutely right, monopoly worsens the whole situation.

I don't really agree with your statements on "conformism" and whatnot. That's ultimately the point: A blog is a blog and its comments are meant to be forgotten and forgettable.

Forgotten due to the volatile nature of blogs, not necessarily forgettable. Aside fluctuating quality, my main concern is quantity. In fact, if a blog is able to generate hundreds of comments over a post, that blog is actually creating a trend in the scene when not indirectly influencing it. Readers may participate to this process on different levels, writing comments or not, but at the end the ones who decide the agenda of posts are the true leaders, and the temptation of a vested interest is evident.     

I come to these forums for in-depth discussion and analysis on new sets, parts and Lego in general, including TLG itself. Tips on building techniques, awesome MOCs and other discussions are of course a great addition. In short it's the multitude of different topics and viewpoints why I find this forum interesting and history of almost two decades with searchable archives makes it all the more worthwhile. The forum format also helps in that majority of the comments are written as proper sentences and easily readable paragraphs. As others have pointed out, platforms like Twitter of Facebook are not very good for high quality discussions and especially for proper archival of past discussions. Blogs do serve their purpose, but their format is less of a discussion and more of someone telling something and audience listening so they don't facilitate exchange of thoughts in equal manner.

The glory days of forums are of course in the past, but they still serve a purpose in a way that no other platform can. I do use Facebook but forum-like discussions are somewhere between difficult and impossible in there, and Twitter isn't even worth talking about in this context. I'm also someone who's slow to adopt new technology (my most important "social media" is still IRC) so I'm perfectly comfortable using forums. For this I hope that Eurobricks goes on for a long time and I thank all the administrative staff for giving us your time and resources to make this forum work.

24 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Blogs do serve their purpose, but their format is less of a discussion and more of someone telling something and audience listening so they don't facilitate exchange of thoughts in equal manner.

Also some blogs end up coming across as "buy this product HERE as it is really great" and HERE is an affiliate link and the recommendation is possibly only there to get referrals rather than an honest opinion. Another good thing about EB is it is pretty much referral free (obviously ads for support though).

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Also some blogs end up coming across as "buy this product HERE as it is really great" and HERE is an affiliate link and the recommendation is possibly only there to get referrals rather than an honest opinion. Another good thing about EB is it is pretty much referral free (obviously ads for support though).

Yeah, high quality blogs are few and far between, regardless of the topic.

30 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

don't want to get wrapped-up into this discussion, but shouldn't this have been posted in the Forum Information and Help subforum?

In my opinion: No.

That forum is more about technicalities, as far as I am concerned.

This discussion is very closely tied to the philosophy of LEGO - and the options to communicate the various individual interpretations of that philosophy - including our own. A forum is so much better suited for that - provided that there are defined rules - and moderation. Moderation geared towards the goal of educated communication.

That is my take only of course.

Best wishes
Thorsten 

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

In my opinion: No.

That forum is more about technicalities, as far as I am concerned.

Maybe the Community subforum then? That's where @LegoModularFan's "Making Eurobricks More Active" topic resides after all, a discussion topic that's pertinent to Eurobricks beyond the realm of technical help... :def_shrug:

4 hours ago, GREG998 said:

For your information, and for those who could have been "scared" of my proposition to buy Eurobricks, the one i've identified as the highest autorithy in the place; Bonaparte, has not answered to my PM.

Une réponse, même négative, aurait été de bon aloi...(swapped to french cause he is, just as me).

Bonaparte hasn't been online in a month.

I think we are more incredulous than "scared" as it is not a possibility to purchase the forum in the way you would go and buy anything else.

As for thread location: It is fine here, it does not need to go somewhere else. 

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I think we are more incredulous than "scared" as it is not a possibility to purchase the forum in the way you would go and buy anything else.

As for thread location: It is fine here, it does not need to go somewhere else. 

Yeah, I think "guy who told me to take care of my business is attempting to buy the lego discussion website I visit" is pretty low on my list of fears right now, I'm just interested as to the mindset of deciding to buy the website and whether or not he'd actually go through with it.

@GREG998 good on you for trying, i think, but it looks like you won't be able to buy the website after all if @Bonaparte won't respond.

41 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

@GREG998 good on you for trying, i think, but it looks like you won't be able to buy the website after all if @Bonaparte won't respond.

Maybe if he offers to meet @Bonaparte at Waterloo he'll have more luck!?

7 minutes ago, GREG998 said:

Seriously, take really care of your business. Unstick from me, you behave like a leech on my intimate parts and it's pretty annoying.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:58 AM, GREG998 said:

People should only write what they could say in real life, looking in the eyes the people they chat with.

And yet ....

Please.  This is a forum for adults.  That means people who can and do behave in a respectful and mature manner towards others.  That does not mean people who can swear up a blue streak and throw vulgar insults at people they don't like.

I don't want to mini-mod or act like a prude here, but please keep a civil tone here, and heed your own advice.  Uncivil behavior like this is one of the things that is driving the slow decline of forums.  Many formerly extremely active Eurobricks members have left the site because the general decline in civility meant they could no longer conduct the lengthy discussions they came here for without getting flamed, trolled, or worse.

I might leave the site if I knew it was in the hands of someone who has repeatedly shown this level of disrespect for other users.  I know members who have previously had their membership privileges temporarily suspended (been set to "Taking A Break") for exactly this kind of disrespectful behavior.  Some of them have changed their behavior and now contribute valuably and courteously to forum discussions.  Others are now banned.

The fact that some members have said despicable things to you in private messages does not give you license to say the PG-13 or R-rated equivalents of their NC-17 language on the open forum.

<Gets off soapbox.>

Whew, what fun! This was good for a laugh. Throwing money at something doesn’t mean it’s for sale. The owner(s) have to want to sell in order for something to purchased. And “threatening” to buy this place over criticism of a view is hilarious. 

Forums are in decline, I feel, because there are many more options out there than when forums started. There’s so many social media platforms that are here or have come & gone that have taken people’s attention. Those places are more “flash in the pan” than lasting like a forum is. And there’s the bit of a problem with the need for instant gratification or Internet clout. People put too much stock in getting likes & followers...you don’t quite get that here. You get praise for your build, sure...but it’s more because there’s actual effort put fort in making a comment than simply tapping a heart or thumbs up icon. 

Edited by Vindicare

2 hours ago, icm said:

And yet ....

Please.  This is a forum for adults.  That means people who can and do behave in a respectful and mature manner towards others.  That does not mean people who can swear up a blue streak and throw vulgar insults at people they don't like.

I don't want to mini-mod or act like a prude here, but please keep a civil tone here, and heed your own advice.  Uncivil behavior like this is one of the things that is driving the slow decline of forums.  Many formerly extremely active Eurobricks members have left the site because the general decline in civility meant they could no longer conduct the lengthy discussions they came here for without getting flamed, trolled, or worse.

I might leave the site if I knew it was in the hands of someone who has repeatedly shown this level of disrespect for other users.  I know members who have previously had their membership privileges temporarily suspended (been set to "Taking A Break") for exactly this kind of disrespectful behavior.  Some of them have changed their behavior and now contribute valuably and courteously to forum discussions.  Others are now banned.

The fact that some members have said despicable things to you in private messages does not give you license to say the PG-13 or R-rated equivalents of their NC-17 language on the open forum.

<Gets off soapbox.>

1. I don't think you meant me, but just so everyone here is clear I've never sent a PM to this guy.

And yeah, he's kind of going overboard, this is a civil forum.

2 hours ago, leafan said:

Maybe if he offers to meet @Bonaparte at Waterloo he'll have more luck!?

Lol.

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Whew, what fun! This was good for a laugh. Throwing money at something doesn’t mean it’s for sale. The owner(s) have to want to sell in order for something to purchased. And “threatening” to buy this place over criticism of a view is hilarious. 

nice (probably unintentional) Darth Maul qoute, and yeah this whole situation gets steadily funnier as it continues.

2 hours ago, icm said:

I know members who have previously had their membership privileges temporarily suspended (been set to "Taking A Break") for exactly this kind of disrespectful behavior.  Some of them have changed their behavior and now contribute valuably and courteously to forum discussions.  Others are now banned.

I was one of those users. Back when I was new to the forum and a noob, I was temporarily banned for name calling and swearing. 

Now I'm back after a discussion with JopieK. Been a model Eurobricks citizen since. Though I may get into a heated debate every once in a while. 

2 hours ago, GREG998 said:

I don't threat to buy the place, i propose to buy the place and you can be sure once it would be done, no head would be chopped, even Mandalorian. To threat and to propose are different concepts. And then people not accustomed to business thing (especially US folks...strange) or being chocked that the place could change started to go nuts.

I don't know if the place is for sale, i just propose. But the Boss is away for one month.......not a good sign. Would be bad to see eurobricks following the path of mocpages.

What I gather from your posting here & referencing the other thread is you’re upset because there was a disagreement on those SW helmets. That’s when you threw around buying the place. I took that as a, albeit weird, threat to change this place up once you buy it. It has nothing to with competency on business practices, it has to do with hurt feelings. I mean, if that’s how you handle them, have at it. 

*decides to leave hilarious off topic discussion alone for now*

As stated by other members I believe forums are still relevant. They may not be as popular nowadays as back when it was "new" but it creates a much larger platform for open discussion than a mere comment section.

Edited by Ravelino
word too many

14 minutes ago, GREG998 said:

"He knows 2 or 3 things about ducks......that are completely wrong". Jeremy Clarkson about the Stig.

This ideas has been self forged in my mind for several months, waiting to be ready. it's only now it becomes public.

As i said somewhere (you migth have seen it as you have probably dissected every single of my words),  i proposed to buy Mocpages last year. Like here, the boss never answers....letting the place dying in shamefull way. So it failed (for now) with Mocpages, let's see what it'll give with here.
Seriously, a place where the boss is away one month is a place on the verge of collapse. What if Bonaparte forget to pay domain hosting? The forum disappears. When you own a site, you have to be THERE.

To conclude, i don't see what is "hilarious" in my proposition. Perhaps US guys, most of you are, have a low level of acceptance in therm of humour and find everything funny but i don't find especially hilarious a proposition to buy something. "Hilarious" is perhaps the word you use to describe what you don't understand or don't believe.

If I'm not mistaken, it's also possible Bonaparte has his settings to turn off showing his most recent activity. And as Peppermint_M said, purchasing the forum isn't similar to purchasing other goods or companies.

11 minutes ago, GREG998 said:

"He knows 2 or 3 things about ducks......that are completely wrong". Jeremy Clarkson about the Stig.

This ideas has been self forged in my mind for several months, waiting to be ready. it's only now it becomes public.

As i said somewhere (you migth have seen it as you have probably dissected every single of my words),  i proposed to buy Mocpages last year. Like here, the boss never answers....letting the place dying in shamefull way. So it failed (for now) with Mocpages, let's see what it'll give with here.
Seriously, a place where the boss is away one month is a place on the verge of collapse. What if Bonaparte forget to pay domain hosting? The forum disappears. When you own a site, you have to be THERE.

To conclude, i don't see what is "hilarious" in my proposition. Perhaps US guys, most of you are, have a low level of acceptance in therm of humour and find everything funny but i don't find especially hilarious a proposition to buy something. "Hilarious" is perhaps the word you use to describe what you don't understand or don't believe.

What I find hilarious is the way you’re publicly going about wanting to buy this place. It’s like you’re trying to throw your weight around before you’ve even had words with the owner. You certainly do like to assume. Bonaparte not being here for a month doesn’t mean he isn’t up to date on payments or the goings on. There’s moderators & staff for a reason. A company doesn’t fail when the boss is out of the office. My humor level is appropriate for situations & quite tolerable. There isn’t anything to accept here on my end. Nice subtle insults, but they aren’t going to work. There doesn’t seem to be a lot to understand, nor to believe in(or not), unless you’re holding stuff back.