Sign in to follow this  
The Sarge

[OL-FB] Allemann Ceramics, Astrapi

Allemann Ceramics

Old Man Allemann opened up a pottery shop in Astrapi. Right now, it's an open air affair, but he hopes to expand it and eventually install a bottle kiln.

Allemann Ceramics

Here an apprentice loads mugs into the kiln for firing.

Allemann Ceramics

After firing, the mugs are painted and then packed in crates padded with straw.

Allemann Ceramics

Allemann uses his potter's wheel to form grenade bodies for an Oleon government contract.  The finished bodies are lined up on a plank of scrap wood until they can be fired in the oven.

Allemann Ceramics

Another apprentice packs finished, painted grenade bodies with straw off a bale.  Behind him is the pile of clay that provides the raw material.

This will be a medium artisan property in Astrapi.

Nice terrain, I like that row of ceramic grenades, are they fragmentation grenades? 

Thanks everyone!

@Bodi More or less, at this point in time all grenades used ceramic, glass or cast-iron casings and were divided mainly into explosive or incendiary depending on what the filler was.  The distinction between the different explosive grenades (fragmentation/defensive and concussion/offensive) didn't really come about until the early 1900s.

A lot of details to love! Maybe some elevation between the sand/earth and grass (for example the grass 1 plate higher) would give it an extra, but that's only nitpicking of me :)

Nice classic-looking scene! I like the details you added, in particular the little oven and the potter wheel. And even if ceramic grenades are a quite unusual idea for the period… who cares! :pir-grin: Well done!

Nicely done! I love seeing the different steps in making the ceramics. It's all laid out really well. Is the "Alleman" sign a custom, or did that come in a set?

Thanks everyone!

@Maxim II'll keep that in mind for the next one!  I agree it would look better.

@KeymonusThank you!  Ceramic grenades are a little old fashioned for this era, but they do appear in the historical record as late as the early 1600s.  And they're a lot easier than iron ones to make!

@KhorneThe sign is from a set but I don't know which one.  One of the modular City buildings I think, I got it off Bricklink.