Skipper

[MOC] The Roost (Black Falcon's castle)

Guarding the waters, shores, and villages of Lake Tiercel, the Roost appears solid and tranquil as it has in time immemorial...

49660140672_d852ae027a_c.jpg

But today, its inhabitants labor under threat of war! Some soldiers stock its storerooms with fish and perform a last inspection of the curtain walls...

49660141002_8edb9dbe32_c.jpg

While others help the villagers and their livestock take shelter in its courtyard.

49659861371_d7c878e1d5_c.jpg

With a full armory and storeroom, and soldiers posted on the walls...

49661690068_dcc6ce92ac_o.png

The Falcons are more than ready to defend their home.

49659861616_8997ec88b5_c.jpg

This was my first build in a year or so and was very good fun. My inspiration was the original Black Falcon's Fortress (the half-timbered sections, the high shield wall in front), but our designs diverged in the end. An ongoing challenge for me is establishing a scale that keeps the castle small enough to be elegant and have that classic LEGO feel, but is also big enough to be imposing next to civilian buildings. I feel like I've finally found it in this MOC.

As always, I wish I had the bricks to build this in real life, but I'm grateful to the people who make Stud.io possible. 

I'd love your C&C!

Edited by Skipper

looks good, what did you use for the white and black walls? i know there is a part like that or did you do it in photoshop?

Amazing ...I like the flowers everywhere! :wub:

6 hours ago, legoMoccer said:

I know there is a part like that or did you do it in photoshop?

I think was used the standard Lego piece by selecting the white color with the CAD

7 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I think was used the standard Lego piece by selecting the white color with the CAD

But that diagonal black line can't be done in this way, I'm certain it's an old castle set part 

6067-1.jpg

Like this part but black and white 

Edited by legoMoccer

1 hour ago, Grover said:

The wall panel is a white version of this, that you pointed out in the Guarded Inn:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4444p03&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

I originally thought the render was a greyscale of the yellow version when I first looked at it.

yeah i did as well, i didnt know that it came in white only seen red and yellow, thanks for link

1 hour ago, legoMoccer said:

yeah i did as well, i didnt know that it came in white only seen red and yellow, thanks for link

Yeah, I've never seen it in white except digitally.

6 hours ago, legoMoccer said:

But that diagonal black line can't be done in this way, I'm certain it's an old castle set part

I meant exactly the piece 4444p03 available only in red and yellow selected in white color with the CAD

Just now, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I meant exactly the piece 4444p03 available only in red and yellow selected in white color with the CAD

ah right ok thats a shame 

Great castle.   It's very clean and polished looking.  Good looking store rooms and armory.  The black and white part is a awesome detail that makes it really stand out.  The drawbridge is nicely done.  I like the path up to the bridge.  Nice water around the castle and I like the vine growing up the side.  

Amazing castle, it's a perfect size, and very nicely, cleanly built.

Beautiful in its simplicity! Looks very solid and the classic wall panel is gorgeous in black and white :thumbup:

Whilst the white panel hasn't been released pubically I was certain that I'd seen a version of it before.

Look for the pictures of the Europa theme at the bottom of the first post. The white panels 4444 panels are actually a slightly different design to the standard 4444p03, probably just the designers drawing on a plain white 4444 panel.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:32 PM, legoMoccer said:

looks good, what did you use for the white and black walls? i know there is a part like that or did you do it in photoshop?

On 3/15/2020 at 3:08 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

On 3/15/2020 at 11:33 AM, Grover said:

The wall panel is a white version of this, that you pointed out in the Guarded Inn:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4444p03&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

I originally thought the render was a greyscale of the yellow version when I first looked at it.

5 hours ago, The_Cook said:

Whilst the white panel hasn't been released pubically I was certain that I'd seen a version of it before.

Look for the pictures of the Europa theme at the bottom of the first post. The white panels 4444 panels are actually a slightly different design to the standard 4444p03, probably just the designers drawing on a plain white 4444 panel.

Thanks, all. You're right about the identity of the wall panel, and that it hasn't (to my knowledge) been released in black and white before.

Funnily enough, the only place I've ever seen it in black and white IRL is in another Black Falcon's MOC posted to EB. Perhaps a custom sticker?

bf_castle_001.jpg

I also imagine a similar effect with thin diagonals could be made with SNOT slopes placed 180 degrees to one another with a black tile placed in between, though I'd need access to my real bricks to try it out.

Bricklink doesn't list 4444p03 as being available in white but that photo does appear to be real bricks.

It's not impossible that they've got hold of prototype bricks; but equally some masking tape and a pen could easily create or perhaps printed paper and glue.