Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

[WIP] 1:14 Swedish electric locomotive Rc1

Hi there!

For a train competition on Swebrick, to be held and judged next weekend at our annual event which we now had to cancel due to the Corona virus, I wanted to build something. When the rules said that the scale was free I started to think about what train wheel from Lego could be the biggest. There really wasn´t any larger than for the usual sets & scale. So I then thought which other big wheel could be used - I found part 88517 Wheel 75mm D. x 17mm Motorcycle with part 88516 Tire 94.2mm D. x 22mm Motorcycle Racing Tread. That set that scale :grin:!

My choice of train was the SJ Class Rc electric locomotive - Rc electric locomotive. I choose the very first one in the series of 366 made for Sweden - number 1007. It´s now restored and can be seen in the Swedish Railway Museum in Gävle. I´m not quite finished yet but here´s some pictures:

Rc1 1007.jpg

Rc1 1007 wheel size.jpg

Rc1 1007 full length side boggie s.jpg

Rc1 1007 full side 02.jpg

27 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

*oh2* That's massive! Looks really nice. Any thoughts about a custom track to run it on?

Thanks! The track is actually already built, just for display purpose though. I´ll take a picture tomorrow and post it!

15 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Any thoughts about a custom track to run it on?

Here you go:

track_size.jpg

Middle track section three out of five. The two golden spikes represent where the tracks laid out from the west and East met :wink:!

Size comparison shot:

rc1_1007_size_comp.jpg

This is a wonderful creation!!! Massive, colorful, simple and fascinating!!! I love it!!! :grin_wub::wub_drool::wub:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

That's great.  Love the go big or go home build.  Our Amtrak AEM7 electrics were based on the Rc4.  :classic:

Oh my. This is big. Not really my style, but you did a great job.I just wondered if you considered trying to implement the corrugated metal sides? I know it would be tricky with the round windows though, the grilled bricks just get you so far...

3 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Oh my. This is big. Not really my style, but you did a great job.I just wondered if you considered trying to implement the corrugated metal sides? I know it would be tricky with the round windows though, the grilled bricks just get you so far...

Yes, I considered that. Sadly there is no grilled brick in orange. Other choices were like the picture below. My choice would have been the modified Plate with rail but it’s to rare. Doing with jumper plates is one option but that didin’t look good and there where stability issues. The snotted tiles were easier and could have covered some of the windows but in the end I went for smooth at this time. If the modified Plate with rail makes a comeback that’s a thing I will try.

rc1_1007_side_variants.jpg

28 minutes ago, CopMike said:

Yes, I considered that. Sadly there is no grilled brick in orange. Other choices were like the picture below. My choice would have been the modified Plate with rail but it’s to rare. Doing with jumper plates is one option but that didin’t look good and there where stability issues. The snotted tiles were easier and could have covered some of the windows but in the end I went for smooth at this time. If the modified Plate with rail makes a comeback that’s a thing I will try.

UntitledModel

I tried this one with plates on plates (it's wrong on dimensions - only to try :classic:) , but I fear it would be extremely expensive :wink:

Ciao!

Davide

13 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

UntitledModel

I tried this one with plates on plates (it's wrong on dimensions - only to try :classic:) , but I fear it would be extremely expensive :wink:

Ciao!

Davide

Hi Davide!

Well it would be doable and not as expensive as rail plates! But the effekt I would have liked is the offset structure of the surface, like with a rail plate or jumper plate. Your fine example gives a good view of each element that could possible be seen as structure but it wouldn’t differ much from the smoother parts of the side both in the front & back. But thanks for the idea!

1 hour ago, CopMike said:

Parts intensive, I know, but if you stay clear of the 1x8 plates in orange, all pieces are cheap ...

EDIT: Dang ... didn't read good enough, you said you already tried this and there were stability issues. I did notice that the 1x8 plate with doorrail is not as expensive .. $0.24 average as per Stud.io.

49665987082_9021466c92_c.jpg

Edited by Phil B

40 minutes ago, CopMike said:

Hi Davide!

Well it would be doable and not as expensive as rail plates! But the effekt I would have liked is the offset structure of the surface, like with a rail plate or jumper plate. Your fine example gives a good view of each element that could possible be seen as structure but it wouldn’t differ much from the smoother parts of the side both in the front & back. But thanks for the idea!

Aaah sorry I did not understand the need to have the offset.  On one of my Mocs I was trying this solution for a radiator grille:

UntitledModel

This one can be used inwards or outwards. I needs for sure a reinforcement,since it is only aesthetic,and provides poor support. Currently your "side wall" is  2 studs wide, with this one you'd  need to enlarge it to 3 studs. Maybe it's better to leave as it is :laugh:, with its nice "Billund" look (even if it's 1:14 instead of 1:20).:wub:

Just for fun, a third possibility : use the "trompe l'oeil" style and create side stickers emulating 3d protruding lines (which can easily go over "arch" parts)! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Very good work! :thumbup:

EDIT: @Phil B WHOOPS - I posted the same solution you did - I did not refresh the page!!! :iamded_lol:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

22 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wow! What is that, like 28 studs wide? That is an insane build, but it is incredible.

Thanks! Actually 29 studs but who’s counting :laugh:?

And thanks again Davide & Phil for the input. Due to the design of the windows even using cheaper 1x8 rail plates would look a bit strange compared to the close shave approach that I went for! I also got a good suggestion about using part 4175 plate modified 1x2 with ladder or 2412 tile modified 1x2 grille.

Slow building but I´ve started on the couplings while I wait for more Hose, Rigid 3mm D for the pantographs.

rc1_1007_front_02.jpg

rc1_1007_couplings.jpg