Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

MOC: HMS Progress

Hi.

Here's one of my own Pirate Theme creations: HMS Progress, a British vessel.

Sorry about the quality of these pictures but they were shot using a mobile phone, that's the only digital camera I've got.

The whole brickshelf folder is here, but those who are interested may want to take a tour first, according to links given below, where the creator describes some particular features :D :

So, there she is seen from the starboard side, here's from bow and stern, and here is a view from a top-left angle. As you can see, she has seven sails and two masts.

The stern section looks similar to the one of the Black Seas Barracuda and it can be opened in a similar way, giving you access to the captain's quarters from the top and the back. Here you can see the door leading to captain's quarters and the ladder leading to the bridge.

There's also a hatch at the bow (forecastle), allowing soldiers to enter their living quarters.

The main deck has four hatches that allow soldiers to climb down to the lower deck with six cannons, which can bee seen when you open the whole hinged middle section. When on the lower deck, soldiers can use two doors (the first, and, opposite to it, the second) to enter various compartments: kitchen or armoury or whatever you like. There are four ladders allowing soldiers to climb from the lower deck to the surface and back again.

One glimpse at the bridge (the compass is there all right) and that's it.

Have a nice day!

Hi Dreamweb,

I can't give you a "competent analysis" since I'm not a MOC-builder (yet), I can only say that I like the detail and I think it looks great :oD

Firstly, lets honour this MOC by putting a picture (or two) of it in the thread...

progress1.jpg

progress27.jpg

The first thing I be wondering is how many pieces and how long did it take to construct?

How many bricks? Well, I've never counted but I almost emptied a large bag of bricks building it. I can only say it contains Black Seas Barracuda's hull, so it has three centre sections.

It took me about a week, working for about 4 hours every day to buid this.

I constructed it about 8 or 9 months ago, and I've made some modifications since then. The last of them was adding a sail, which i did only few days ago. The old version with six sails can be seen here.

Oh yes, that's a nice addition the stern looks a tad bit empty without it. However, it might not had been so noticeable had the first picture been posted first. Hmmmmm...

Do you play on modifying it further?

I don't think so, but you never know...

Right now I'm rather planning to build new MOCs - another ship which I've already begun constructing and sort of a fortress or a base which is still in my imagination only. And I've got a few other finished MOC ships I'm planning to post links to.

Where did you source the pieces for ship from? Did you get specific pieces from BrickLink, eBay, second hand market, etc. or did you cannibalise entire sets and combine them?

Since I'm from Poland my main source is a website which is a Polish equivalent of Ebay, and where you can find all kinds of Lego. And yes, I sometimes buy complete sets and cannibalise them, and sometimes I purchase just packs of pieces I find especially interesting.

Excellent work!

How did come up with the name "HMS Progress"? It makes it sound like the ship is not yet completed. I.e. a work in progress!

Actually it was the biggest and most detailed Pirate-related creation I had built by that time (and still is), so that's why I called it that way. But the fort I'm planning to build is going to be bigger (I think) :)

A fort, a fortress, a harbour, it depends on how many bricks I will finally use for this and how the project will evolve. Something wrong about it?

Sure, but first I'm going to finish another ship I'm working on. The Fort is the very next thing in my queue.

Phew... You really found an old thread of mine. :pir-classic:

The links don't work because long ago I made a refit version of the ship, as well as took much better pictures.

Check THIS THREAD for the pictures. :pir-classic: