Appie

[MOC] A little Cadillac/Bel Air inspired car with Control+ in scale with the 42098 set

Inspired by Mahjqa's cute little Porsches, I wanted to build something in a similar scale with Control+.

This is the result. The car can be controlled with the Top Gear app or with third party stuff like the Brickcontroller 2 app. Being RC is its only function.

49648729872_1a5d93f995_b.jpg20200311_172321 by Appie NL, on Flickr

49648445971_c8c723c261_b.jpg20200311_172050 by Appie NL, on Flickr

49648445821_518fcaf45a_b.jpg20200311_172113 by Appie NL, on Flickr

And all of them together on the 42098 set

49647936918_672d70c3df_b.jpg2020-03-11_05-34-06 by Appie NL, on Flickr

Edited by Appie

Looking good!

Does it get up much speed? Been wondering what the control+ parts might manage with minimal weight to pull.

Thanks guys. 

Yeah, the chassis is super simple. Those 7x11 frames are very nice to work with. 

As for the speed, it can be pretty quick, but the gear ratio I used is more a "relaxed cruiser" speed. Mahjqa's Porsche got a very good speed out of Control+ with a better gear ratio.

I'm really delighted with this car. It just oozes class and style. The shaping really works. It can't have been easy to put all all the PU components into such a tidy package. At least we don't have to integrate a separate receiver piece anymore.

I also like that we both looked at Lego's own Top Gear Rally car and thought to ourselves: "well, this could use some improvement!" :laugh:

amorti: Using Lego's own 42109 app severely limits acceleration, even with a properly built vehicle. A third-party app like Brickcontroller2 is a must if speed is your thing. 
The PU components themselves still add quite a bit of weight, so building small helps a lot. 

Edited by mahjqa
I spel gud

Great MOC :-)

I can already see a new Technic Contest with cars in exactly this scale :-D

Thanks everybody!

4 hours ago, mahjqa said:

It can't have been easy to put all all the PU components into such a tidy package.

You should know, you did it before with the Porsche :classic:

I noticed a weird thing (though realistic I guess) today while using the Top Gear app. Since we can select gears for the XL drive motor, is that in 1st and 2nd the steering angle is greater than when in 3rd gear. The steering angle on this MOC isn't the greatest due to me using 4L long steering hubs instead of the normal 3L (did this so I could align the body panels to each other), but the steering actively making the turning angle smaller in 3rd isn't helping either. At first I thought it was due to slack in the steering in combination with the driving speed, but with the car upside down I can visible see the steering motor turning the axle about 1T on the gearrack when switching from 2nd to 3rd with the steering motor fully turned left or right on the steeringwheel in the app while switching gear. It makes the car have a huge turning circle in 3rd gear, more than a typical american car would from those days :wink: I never noticed this when I had my Top Gear set build, but it most likely does it there too.

Edited by Appie