MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Wait... there;s actually gonna be a videogame as well? Or is that just some substantiated but yet-unconfirmed rumor?

Regards,
Mitch

Just now, CF Mitch said:

Wait... there;s actually gonna be a videogame as well? Or is that just some substantiated but yet-unconfirmed rumor?

Regards,
Mitch

It's a unconfirmed rumor, since TT Games have been weirdly silent lately, even with the new Star Wars game.

Metro GameCentral seemed to think there was new information expected today.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/12/games-inbox-call-duty-war-zone-impressions-nintendo-direct-predictions-end-e3-12385141/

Unlike the rest of the website, the Gaming section is pretty level headed and don’t tend to go in for rumours or making things up.

(And yes, they still run an old school readers’ letters page every day. There’s a long story behind it)

Edited by ReversibleSedgewick
Clarification

17 hours ago, DentedFrood said:

I know this theme is Super Mario not Mario Kart, but I'd really love at least one of the sets to have karts

Little karts similar to Mighty Micros but with pull-back motors would be great.

17 hours ago, DentedFrood said:

I know this theme is Super Mario not Mario Kart, but I'd really love at least one of the sets to have karts

Considering Lego's primary focus on vehicles, its kinda obvious that a MarioKart set will be made. No issues from me on that. I'll take it. 

7 hours ago, meliander said:

Here is my speculation on this. So as usual, take it with a grain of salt. Nintendo is one of the most bureaucratic companies in the videogames industry. Singing up with them and being able to use their IP (and not just any IP, but their biggest and most valuable IP) is a very very big deal for any company and most likely took more than a year to develop, so my hat goes off to TLG for making this work. This is why I didn't believe at first that it would be sets - I thought they are announcing a Lego Mario videogame. Now that I learned it's not the case - and there will be sets + videogame, I do not, therefore, believe that this is a one-off come-and-go Lego theme. My guess is that it is the start of a long relationship. Especially if it will have somehow digitally connected to Nintendo Switch - Nintendo would not invest their time and effort and connect their most valuable franchise to something they don't have big plans for. And I don't think that it was rushed to replace some in-house theme like Monkey Kid or anything else that was dubbed as Leaf - this is not how it works with Nintendo at all. It was kept a good secret, unveiled on the right day and it will come out on the day it was originally planned to come out.

Regarding the new IPs, like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Splatoon and others - I guess it all depends on how Mario performs, but I very much hope that it does very well. The franchise itself is a gold mine of ideas that can be turned into sets. Odyssey alone with its vast diversity of worlds (from the magical underwater kingdoms to the moon, from real-world NY-like city with humans walking along with cartoon characters to dinosaurs) - all this can supply ideas for many years to come. And unlike, for example, Star Wars where the designers have to follow specific guidelines on the ships and make everything close to how it looks in the movies - for Mario - they can really unleash their creativity and come up with fantastic and colorful sets. Lego and Mario are so close in their tone, target audience, and light-heartedness that they just scream to be together.

This is really a great take on the situation, thanks. Me thinks it’ll carry over into 2021 at least. With this many sets like you say, there’s gotta be more for 2021! 

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Little karts similar to Mighty Micros but with pull-back motors would be great.

SIGN ME UP.

3 hours ago, ReversibleSedgewick said:

Metro GameCentral seemed to think there was new information expected today.

Interesting, I wonder what makes them think that... Do they know something we don‘t? :moar:

This looks...interesting. I'm still keeping my hopes up for actual figures, but as a big time collector of the Heroica sets back in the day, this does scratch a certain itch. If nothing else, the builds for Yoshi, Bowser Jr., etc look very good!

This is super weird... I don't know how I feel about this line being so gimmicky.... *huh*

For those who were excited about this line, you'd better keep your hopes down. From what this video showed us, those aren't going to be traditional LEGO sets. :wacko:

Edited by Lego David

I definitely applaud them for thinking outside the box, but since most of us here are TFOLs/AFOLs, this doesn't seem to be up our alley. 

I'm mostly wondering now if this is how all the sets will be, or if we'll get some traditional sets. 

Well, I’ll give them this, it’s interesting, and a great attempt to mimic the actual game out of this. Like everyone else is saying, though, please, just one normal Minifig! Please! Besides that, Yoshi and bowser junior look great, even better than Mario honestly, and these play features look well built. So, I’m still holding out, but my excitement for this theme has dismissed somewhat...

Where's the Pikachu shocked face meme for people who are shocked the figure looks like the preview and not a regular minifig.

This looks like it could be a fun toy, but it seems far enough away from a traditional lego set to have lost my interest.  

I also find the lack of minifigures disappointing, but maybe now that the Lego group is working with Nintendo we could see something cool.  Nintendo CMF?

It’s weird. It’s unexpected. And it’s a very Nintendo thing to do.

They tend to try weird gimmicky things in place of “safe” releases, and more often than not, they pay off.

I think it looks great, myself, though I can see how fans who think exclusively of minifigures would be disappointed.

At any rate, it certainly represents a huge investment in parts / tech. Has there ever been any one single licensed theme before that obviously had so much invested in its elements? This doesn’t look like a one-and-done to me.