MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Also, it turns out that each of the ‘pants’ on the Power-Up Packs is a matter of internal shapes depressing certain switches on Mario’s stomach. So each of them are a unique mould, which further explains the price. By fiddling with it I managed to get the combinations to trigger Fire and Propeller Mario without actually owning Propeller Mario (I did get Fire when I got the Starter Pack because I wanted to try at least one Power-Up, which is how I discovered this). I don’t know which ones to depress for Cat or Builder Mario yet, but . . interesting that Mario can be duped like that. 

I'm sorry, what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Modeltrainman said:

I'm sorry, what?

Mario has six switches on his stomach. By depressing them in certain combinations of two using pins (or as I did, spare katanas from Ninjago), you can trick Mario into thinking that he’s got specific power ups enabled. By doing this I was able to unlock and ‘complete’ all four power-ups in the app. If anyone’s interested, outer-left/outer-right is normal Mario, middle-left/middle-right is Fire Mario, inner-left/inner-right is Propeller Mario, outer-left/middle-right is Builder Mario, middle-left/outer-right is Cat Mario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flickr user 'Nick Brick' has made NES Zappers as well as an SMB/Duck Hunt cart!

Also, there's the Advantage Joystick, ROB the Robotic Operating Buddy, Four-Score Multi Adapter, Satellite Wireless Multi Adapter and the MAX Controller.
Anyone else built these yet? ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drackiszunk said:

Anyone know of any sites where folks are willing to trade blind bag characters? I bought 8 today and got five Paragoombas. :laugh:

There's Facebook Marketplace for instance! ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drackiszunk said:

Anyone know of any sites where folks are willing to trade blind bag characters? I bought 8 today and got five Paragoombas. :laugh:

Oh, ouch. 
I only got two so far, intentionally picked randomly because I wanted ‘the experience’. Got a Bullet Bill and a Buzzy Beetle. I love the little Bullet Bill (so much nostalgia for Mario Kart when I was six and always came last), and the Beetle . . wouldn’t have been my first choice but it’s cute all the same, so I won’t complain. Definitely want a couple of Spinies and Peepas, though. Maybe I’ll get an Eep Cheep as well, they’re cute and I don’t plan on getting the Toad Treasure Hunt. (Of course, Cheep Cheeps are the ubiquitous water enemies so there’ll probably be more across the next couple of waves.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

Also, there's the Advantage Joystick, ROB the Robotic Operating Buddy, Four-Score Multi Adapter, Satellite Wireless Multi Adapter and the MAX Controller.
Anyone else built these yet? ;-)

Don't forget some of the weirder NES add-ons. Power Glove anyone?

Or if you want to combine 2 recent sets into one, you could always buy the Piano ideas set and use it as a base to replicate another weird NES accessory, the Miracle Piano Teaching System (which was basically a music keyboard that plugged into a bunch of systems including the NES and then software to teach you how to play keyboard/piano).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Mario has six switches on his stomach. By depressing them in certain combinations of two using pins (or as I did, spare katanas from Ninjago), you can trick Mario into thinking that he’s got specific power ups enabled.

Interesting :thumbup: So there’s 15 possible combinations, leaving a lot of room for upcoming power ups :sweet: I guess the Mario figure itself can be updated via Bluetooth in order to accomodate for future expansions, which would be necessary anyway, unless they want us to buy a new version of the starter pack for every wave :laugh: I still want them to introduce Luigi next year though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Interesting :thumbup: So there’s 15 possible combinations, leaving a lot of room for upcoming power ups :sweet: I guess the Mario figure itself can be updated via Bluetooth in order to accomodate for future expansions, which would be necessary anyway, unless they want us to buy a new version of the starter pack for every wave :laugh: I still want them to introduce Luigi next year though

Well, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have power-ups that depress more (or less) than two switches. But when I tried pressing just one switch or any other combination, it came up with a Bluetooth symbol and some other strange shapes, which I suspect is Mario's 'error message'. Still, I think fifteen (of which we currently have five) is plenty. Hoping for Ice Mario, Tanooki Mario (or Flying Squirrel Mario, whatever) and Cloud Mario!

Also, I agree RE Luigi. If this series survives more than a couple of waves, eventually they'll need to make a 'Starter Course 2.0' or similar set, which will be the perfect time to introduce a recoloured and possibly modified version of Mario as Luigi. (Assuming they haven't ditched the course-builder design in favour of actual minifigures by then - though I think they'd see greatest success if they did a combination of both; preserved the course system and interactive tiles but included minifigures in the sets, so that the course is a secondary function.)

Also, Princess Peach when? Come on we need Peach. Ideally Daisy and Rosalina too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Well, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have power-ups that depress more (or less) than two switches. But when I tried pressing just one switch or any other combination, it came up with a Bluetooth symbol and some other strange shapes, which I suspect is Mario's 'error message'. Still, I think fifteen (of which we currently have five) is plenty. Hoping for Ice Mario, Tanooki Mario (or Flying Squirrel Mario, whatever) and Cloud Mario!

Also, I agree RE Luigi. If this series survives more than a couple of waves, eventually they'll need to make a 'Starter Course 2.0' or similar set, which will be the perfect time to introduce a recoloured and possibly modified version of Mario as Luigi. (Assuming they haven't ditched the course-builder design in favour of actual minifigures by then - though I think they'd see greatest success if they did a combination of both; preserved the course system and interactive tiles but included minifigures in the sets, so that the course is a secondary function.)

Also, Princess Peach when? Come on we need Peach. Ideally Daisy and Rosalina too!

Next year, we also want a Super Nintendo and a 'black body' 1990s TV too!
2021 marks the 30th Anniversary of the SNES in North America!

Here's the Stud.io model!

71374_nes_3.jpg

I found it too difficult to insert the scrolling screen so if anyone else can do it, here's the file:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TheScooterGuy/Stud-io/71374/71374_nes_studio.io

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

Next year, we also want a Super Nintendo and a 'black body' 1990s TV too!
2021 marks the 30th Anniversary of the SNES in North America!

Only if it’s the Japanese/European version :tongue: The US version is ugly as sin; I was shocked when I first saw it after having grown up accustomed to the PAL version :head_back:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

Next year, we also want a Super Nintendo and a 'black body' 1990s TV too!
2021 marks the 30th Anniversary of the SNES in North America!

I'd like to see the top-loading redesign of the NES, which is the version I had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, is anyone else having trouble with the cartridge mechanism on 71374 NES? I can insert the cartridge and push it down, but when I push it again, it doesn’t pop back up on its own. I see how it’s supposed to work, but the light grey technic piece just stays in the middle of the two axles and rests behind the green slope, it won’t slide forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI Target is selling the character packs for $4 USD instead of $5. Online and in store. It's interesting they have them online because they don't carry CMF online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh! I discovered something interesting and quirky with Mario when I was messing with different colours to provoke a reaction; he reads Lime Green (the colour they use for grass in the Friends sets, which since 2009 I have thought of as ‘Power Miners Green’) as being ‘desert’ rather than ‘grass’. Interesting and strange for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Oh! I discovered something interesting and quirky with Mario when I was messing with different colours to provoke a reaction; he reads Lime Green (the colour they use for grass in the Friends sets, which since 2009 I have thought of as ‘Power Miners Green’) as being ‘desert’ rather than ‘grass’. Interesting and strange for sure.

Makes sense to me, lime green is closer to yellow than to green after all. What is surprising though is that it registered anything at all :laugh:

Speaking of surprises: @Ashnflash discovered something I didn‘t expect in his review of the NES, namely that you actually hear a cranking noise when rotating the channel switch on the TV :thumbup: The designers really did think of everything!

Edited by Lego-Freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, bought my Starter Pack and two blind backs at a local store here in Germany today, they had it on offer for 39.99€ which makes for a nice 34% discount...

I mostly bought it for reverse engineering and tinkering around, connection to PC/my own app works fine, the whole BLE platform from LEGO works really nicely :)

Is anyone else interested in working on the barcodes? Decoding them, trying to create new ones etc etc?

Edited by Diamondback2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diamondback2010 said:

So, bought my Starter Pack and two blind backs at a local store here in Germany today, they had it on offer for 39.99€ which makes for a nice 34% discount...

I mostly bought it for reverse engineering and tinkering around, connection to PC/my own app works fine, the whole BLE platform from LEGO works really nicely :)

Is anyone else interested in working on the barcodes? Decoding them, trying to create new ones etc etc?

I tried just reproducing the barcodes and was unsuccessful, so it may be tricky. I tried different papers on a laser printer, then a dye sublimation photo printer. The barcodes look clear and accurate but Mario won't read them. Maybe a glare issue?

So you can communicate to Mario, but how much development will be needed to make him display your own images? Is the micro on him one with readily available tools to build your own application? I'm also wondering if the light sensor is a full camera or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

I tried just reproducing the barcodes and was unsuccessful, so it may be tricky. I tried different papers on a laser printer, then a dye sublimation photo printer. The barcodes look clear and accurate but Mario won't read them. Maybe a glare issue?

Hm, interesting. Did you pay specific attention to sizing of the recreated tag? 

What about color accuracy? My own scan of the tags ended up really bad... 

If those two look OK, I'd try laminating the result maybe... 

 

I created a dedicated thread about the topic here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/179464-reverse-engineering-lego-super-mario/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a real fan of using the app to build the set, I mean Lego Life does it different but I had a hard time building the starter set from scratch to say the list, very weird and a bit cumbersome to say the least! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just built the set and love it!  I haven't built a LEGO set in over 2 decades but am still an avid user of Nintendo products, so when LEGO announced the partnership and this set, I just had to have it.  I love all the details and easter eggs included that you only see during the building process (such as level 1-2 inside the console itself).  I made a video of the build in case anyone is interested!  Cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our household just loves the super mario sets. We bought almost every pack (just missing out on flying gumba - i ran out of feeling up sacks energy), the starter set, mario’s house and a desert set. It’s fun to build and also to play with. Probably more sets on the way. 
Also, the sets flew out of the store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.