MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

First set revealed:

71360 Super Mario Starter Course - 231 pieces - 60 euro

LEGO 71360 Super Mario Starter Course

Wow, if that’s how big ~200 pieces is with this scale, I find it hard to believe that some of the sets with 500+ pieces are going to be made for the board game system.  I’m really starting to think that at least 71368 and 71369 will be minifigure scale.

9 minutes ago, TheBrickPal said:

More!

Okay, I’m not a fan of these being billed as Expansion Sets, but . . come on, that castle and Bowser look awesome and I want them.

I'm kind of glad we now know for sure what these sets are.. no more room for speculation, they're all this way. Honestly, bowser's castle looks good. If only we had a nice looking mario to go with it.

I can’t believe the Bowser set is $100 with 1000 pieces and it includes that Mario figure. I guess maybe there aren’t minifigure sets, which would be very disappointing. The castle looks good though and the Piranha Plant expansion set is nice but seems expensive for $30...

Finally, a set I don't dislike. The bowser looks pretty good, he doesn't suffer too much from this cubic style. Would Lego ever release only a single Mario figure at least this bowser would work next to it. The castle itself also looks pretty decent, there's actually a build this time around instead of what looks more like the overworld map in the other sets. I just hope Mario also comes in this set as I've no interest in the starters pack. Sadly I think all the other set reveals will go downhill from here, to me at least, as I don't see any other character work in this style the way bowser worked for me.

1 hour ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I can’t believe the Bowser set is $100 with 1000 pieces and it includes that Mario figure. I guess maybe there aren’t minifigure sets, which would be very disappointing. The castle looks good though and the Piranha Plant expansion set is nice but seems expensive for $30...

So are we sure it does include the Mario figure? It could go either way; on the bright side that means Mario comes in multiple sets, but I can’t help but notice the first two and last two segments of the Bowser’s Castle build are identical to segments from the Starter Pack, which is either the designers being lazy or part of the Starter Pack attached and the Castle is actually just the Castle with no exterior.

35 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Finally, a set I don't dislike. The bowser looks pretty good, he doesn't suffer too much from this cubic style. Would Lego ever release only a single Mario figure at least this bowser would work next to it. The castle itself also looks pretty decent, there's actually a build this time around instead of what looks more like the overworld map in the other sets. I just hope Mario also comes in this set as I've no interest in the starters pack. Sadly I think all the other set reveals will go downhill from here, to me at least, as I don't see any other character work in this style the way bowser worked for me.

I have to say that I agree. I want Bowser’s Castle and that one mushroom house we saw in the reveal trailer. Everything else, pass . . though I do like Bowser Jr, so if he’s exclusive to the Starter Pack then maybe.

EDIT: Actually, strike that, I’m an idiot! The segment in the Starter Pack next to the pipe has a yellow flower, but the matching one in the Castle has a pink flower! They are separate, which means Mario almost definitely does also come in the Castle. Whew! 

Edited by Fenghuang0296

46 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

So are we sure it does include the Mario figure? It could go either way; on the bright side that means Mario comes in multiple sets, but I can’t help but notice the first two and last two segments of the Bowser’s Castle build are identical to segments from the Starter Pack, which is either the designers being lazy or part of the Starter Pack attached and the Castle is actually just the Castle with no exterior.

I have to say that I agree. I want Bowser’s Castle and that one mushroom house we saw in the reveal trailer. Everything else, pass . . though I do like Bowser Jr, so if he’s exclusive to the Starter Pack then maybe.

EDIT: Actually, strike that, I’m an idiot! The segment in the Starter Pack next to the pipe has a yellow flower, but the matching one in the Castle has a pink flower! They are separate, which means Mario almost definitely does also come in the Castle. Whew! 

Did you read the accompanying announcement?

This entry point set to the world of LEGO Super Mario is needed to unlock expansion sets and features seven action bricks for different interactions with the LEGO Mario figure that are only included in this set.

what else could the expansions require beyond Mario himself?

25 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

This entry point set to the world of LEGO Super Mario is needed to unlock expansion sets and features seven action bricks for different interactions with the LEGO Mario figure that are only included in this set.

The thing is though, if that's the case, why is Mario in the picture? The other set picture doesn't include him, but the castle one does. Also, the idea of making you have to buy another set to use a $100 dollar one is silly, that would be an especially bad idea. All including him in the picture does, if he's not in it, is to mislead and confuse everyone who looks at it, and I don't feel like that's the point of releasing these set pictures. Then again, this whole theme is kind of confusing, so who knows at this point?

My only complaint about the castle so far is that Bowser's head is too big and too flat. Beyond that, I love it. The big Bowser statue looks fantastic. If there's one set I buy, it's this one, especially if Mario is included (even if I do plan on replacing it with my own brickbuilt one)

32 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

The thing is though, if that's the case, why is Mario in the picture? The other set picture doesn't include him, but the castle one does. Also, the idea of making you have to buy another set to use a $100 dollar one is silly, that would be an especially bad idea. All including him in the picture does, if he's not in it, is to mislead and confuse everyone who looks at it, and I don't feel like that's the point of releasing these set pictures. Then again, this whole theme is kind of confusing, so who knows at this point?

My only complaint about the castle so far is that Bowser's head is too big and too flat. Beyond that, I love it. The big Bowser statue looks fantastic. If there's one set I buy, it's this one, especially if Mario is included (even if I do plan on replacing it with my own brickbuilt one)

It does not stand to reason that Mario is included in the castle. The starter set is 70$ with 231 pieces, they aren’t giving an additional 700 some pieces for 30$ more.

13 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

It does not stand to reason that Mario is included in the castle. The starter set is 70$ with 231 pieces, they aren’t giving an additional 700 some pieces for 30$ more.

No, what doesn’t stand to reason is having a $100 set whose value is halfway tied up on the assumption that anyone who buys it is also going to buy a $60 accompanying set. There’s been sets with good price-per-part ratios before, even licensed ones. Is it really so hard to believe that a set could be priced at $100 USD with a $0.10 price-per-part ratio and also include the Mario figure?

1 hour ago, KevinMD said:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. And I believe that the Piranha desert minecart whatever that messy thing’s called set is an expansion set. That announcement states that there are expansion sets, not that EVERY other set is an expansion set. And as for it being ‘only included in this set’, I’m inclined to chalk that up to a translation error or misquote. People can get things wrong. I’m inclined to believe the pictures over the text, and the pictures say Mario’s coming in the Castle.

Especially given that whoever wrote that article thinks ‘figure that are only included’ is correct grammar. I doubt that’s particularly official.

Edited by Fenghuang0296

21 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

No, what doesn’t stand to reason is having a $100 set whose value is halfway tied up on the assumption that anyone who buys it is also going to buy a $60 accompanying set. There’s been sets with good price-per-part ratios before, even licensed ones. Is it really so hard to believe that a set could be priced at $100 USD with a $0.10 price-per-part ratio and also include the Mario figure?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. And I believe that the Piranha desert minecart whatever that messy thing’s called set is an expansion set. That announcement states that there are expansion sets, not that EVERY other set is an expansion set. And as for it being ‘only included in this set’, I’m inclined to chalk that up to a translation error or misquote. People can get things wrong. I’m inclined to believe the pictures over the text, and the pictures say Mario’s coming in the Castle.

Especially given that whoever wrote that article thinks ‘figure that are only included’ is correct grammar. I doubt that’s particularly official.

It’s either a grammatical error or it’s referring to the “seven different action bricks for different interactions” that are exclusive, but is worded poorly.  I agree that it makes sense for Mario to be in the castle.  I don’t think I can think of a time we’ve ever gotten a set (not counting a baseplate) that shows a figure or brick-built structure on one of the main promotional pictures and isn’t included.  

The Bowser set actually looks decent, I will probably still pass on this theme though. I know this set isn't primarily aimed at the older market but I really wish they would have put more effort.

I'm still hoping that we'll see an amazing looking Zelda line in the future.

1 hour ago, Cjm said:

The Bowser set actually looks decent, I will probably still pass on this theme though. I know this set isn't primarily aimed at the older market but I really wish they would have put more effort.

I'm still hoping that we'll see an amazing looking Zelda line in the future.

I have zero interest in Zelda, have only played Breath Of The Wild (because it was rated the top game of the entire decade, how could I not?) and would still buy anything they themed around Zelda. Especially Hyrule Castle or a Guardian. 

I definitely want the Bowser Castle and whatever sets contain Yoshi and that gorgeously built Pipe Piranha Plant we saw in the trailer, but do feel like I’ll skip most of this wave. Though I do like Bowser Jr so I hope he’s not exclusive to the Starter Course . . 

It looks to me that the starter set and Bowser's Castle set are different in that you get a 'whole' level with them: the figure, the tunnel as a starting point and the flag as the finishing line. That's why both sets have a Mario figure, so that you don't have to get another set to play through a level in Lego. These will probably be the exception, with the others being expansion sets that need at least 1 other set for a whole level.

Also is this the 'Leaf' theme that had rumoured £4 blind bags and £10 sets? I'd be interested to see what those came with. Maybe the blindbags could have powerups that the Mario figure can sense and maybe a unique hazard build, while the £10 sets come with unique buildable figures (which are still variations of the buildable characters in other sets)

2 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I have zero interest in Zelda, have only played Breath Of The Wild (because it was rated the top game of the entire decade, how could I not?) and would still buy anything they themed around Zelda. Especially Hyrule Castle or a Guardian. 

I think they would probably look at releasing BotW sets if they did Zelda, maybe we’ll see something closer to when they release BotW2.

I’d love to see the LEGO ideas BOTW stables released,

Was holding off for more info, but it's looking like this theme isn't going to be for me. Maybe if they were more traditional style builds at that price, or it was these sets but at a 33% lower price. I guess I can just see if I find it with a deep discount somewhere.

Hey, everyone! There’s two new listings on Shop@Home for the Mario Starter Course, except that one of them is a ‘Starter Bundle With Gift’ and at the end it has images of what I assume is the ‘Monty Mole and Super Mushroom GWP’. And it actually looks awesome. I can’t seem to upload it on here because Eurobricks’ image policy is awful, but it looks surprisingly great and way more fleshed out than I expected. This isn’t some poly bag, it’s a whole actual expansion set similar to the Piranha Plant one but much better. 

EDIT: I’ve put a picture on #legoleaks. I really hope this isn’t just a GWP and can be bought independently. It’s  cute and I like it. 

Edited by Fenghuang0296

2 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Hey, everyone! There’s two new listings on Shop@Home for the Mario Starter Course, except that one of them is a ‘Starter Bundle With Gift’ and at the end it has images of what I assume is the ‘Monty Mole and Super Mushroom GWP’. And it actually looks awesome. I can’t seem to upload it on here because Eurobricks’ image policy is awful, but it looks surprisingly great and way more fleshed out than I expected. This isn’t some poly bag, it’s a whole actual expansion set similar to the Piranha Plant one but much better. 

EDIT: I’ve put a picture on #legoleaks. I really hope this isn’t just a GWP and can be bought independently. It’s  cute and I like it. 

Just seen it on legoleaks, what a fun a little set! It looks almost more dense than the others apart from Bowser's Castle, it looks like there's lot of substantial bricks involved. The mole looks a bit 1-dimensional to me with the print but I just really like seeing those arm pieces that can connect to bricks.

I can't wait to see what the other small sets look like, hopefully they include fun printed elements like these. 

Just now, Jinzol said:

you get the mushroom-set if you preorder

Sure, but I live in Australia. The preorder usn’t even available here yet, and the price will be terrible. I’d feel like an idiot if I preordered it now for . . AUD = 1.5 x USD, plus $30 shipping because it doesn’t crack the $150 threshold . . $120 dollars, only to find out that I could wait and get the same stuff for $70 later on. Especially since I don’t even want the Starter Set much next to the Bowser Castle (assuming it also has Mario) and the Monty Mole set. 

Based on the four sets so far, it looks like they’re going to stick to four main types of terrain; green grass, blue water, yellow sand, and red lava. And brown wood and grey stone, I guess. I’m hoping they might also do white snow in one or two sets. 

The box art for the starter set looks so lazy... It's basically just the set shown on a white background. It doesn't even look like the box of a LEGO set. 

71360_v29_3D_Straight%20front_FINAL.jpg

Edited by Lego David