MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Well not to keen on the electronics of this. But Minecraft started out with Micro Builds before moving to Minifig Scale

So if this sells well enough. We could get Minifig Scale Mario sets

I do wish they'd use the Sonic license more than just the Dimension set.

(Really would have loved to see Sonic Movie sets)

Just now, Takanuinuva said:

So if this sells well enough. We could get Minifig Scale Mario sets

If this sells well enough, they should do some MarioKart sets.

46 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Well, LEGO is still succeeding right now, and even then, it’s only one theme, unlike in the 2000’s where most themes were like that. If this fails miserably, it’s ok because it’s only one theme.

I can see this being the begging of another experimantal era simialr to the one from the early 2000's. We already had sets that tried to integarte digital and physical play before, but I feel like this line is taking it to a whole new level. I wouldn't be surpirsed if simialr sets will also be released for other themes in the near future. 

52 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Also, I don’t think the Mario needs an app to work. It’s size looks to be big enough to fit everything it needs inside. 

The Mario figure has a Bluetooth button on it's back, which indicates that there will indeed be some sort of App tie-in. 

There are a number of new parts. I'm a parts buyer mostly, so I'm okay with the direction this has gone. Minifigs of some of the characters wouldn't actually be all that usable for me, since many of the prints would be too character specific. Those bases also share enough of an aesthetic with classic Sonic that I could see something being done there. Didn't Nintendo acquire Sega some time ago?

Just now, gedren_y said:

There are a number of new parts. I'm a parts buyer mostly, so I'm okay with the direction this has gone. 

I don't buy sets for parts my friend. I have Bricklink for that. 

8 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Didn't Nintendo acquire Sega some time ago?

Nope, Nintendo and Sega are separate.

14 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I can see this being the begging of another experimantal era simialr to the one from the early 2000's. We already had sets that tried to integarte digital and physical play before, but I feel like this line is taking it to a whole new level. I wouldn't be surpirsed if simialr sets will also be released for other themes in the near future. 

True, LEGO is doing more of these kinds of things, and I get the concern. Yeah, who knows what's goin got happen in the future.

24 minutes ago, Lego David said:

The Mario figure has a Bluetooth button on it's back, which indicates that there will indeed be some sort of App tie-in. 

My guess is that this serves to record high scores and to update the software when new sets come out. Else, I’d have no idea why it’s so bulky.

I dig it. Not what was I expecting, that’s for sure. It’s a buildable, playable Mario game, that’s great! Now that weirdly sized & shaped Mario makes a lot more sense. I still hope we see some of these sets with actual minifigs though. 

Why is everyone acting like these are the whole line? We haven’t even seen the other sets. Oh and these are probably the $10 sets, meaning the rest could be minifig scale

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Why is everyone acting like these are the whole line? We haven’t even seen the other sets. Oh and these are probably the $10 sets, meaning the rest could be minifig scale

Yeah, there’s still plenty to go. Interesting suggestion about the video being the $10 sets. I’m not too sure though. We are getting four of them, with a low number of pieces. That entire build looks a lot more substantial than 50+/-. It could be definitely be a mix though, like a bigger base model then the smaller sets are add ons. That could be cool. 

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

Surely not all of the sets are like this right? Right!?! *sigh* At least there's a cmf series... While it's an interesting and innovative idea, it just isn't at all what most people wanted and the fact that none of it is minifig scale or includes actual minifigs is really disappointing. Definitely an easy pass for me, which I guess is good as it saves me money.

Edit: Never mind, apparently there's no cmf series. Seriously, what the heck LEGO!? I guess the whole theme is a wash then. I can't wait to see j2g have a complete meltdown over these sets.

There is no CMF series. People thought that 4€ blindbag set would be a CMF, but those have 23 pieces - they will be some kind of power-ups (like Nexo Knights shields).

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I don't understand why so many people are still excited for this line. Those figures don't even really look like LEGO, and this whole gimmick will probably be tied to some app game or something (the Mario figure seemed to have a Bluetooth button or something similar on it's back) which will make the figure completely useless as soon as the game or whatever it's tied to gets retired.

To be honest, I don't think this was a good decision by LEGO in the long term. Instead of just making some traditional sets like everyone wanted, they decided to pursue this corny innovation which I highly doubt will pay off. And let's not forget, corny innovations is what almost bankrupted them in the early 2000's and that happening again isn't unlikely. 

People look excited because it's really fresh. It's something that has never been done before in Lego, and I love the idea. I might even buy like a starter set to try this. 

Kids will also love this, and it's a great idea. You may not like it, and it's understandable, but it should be easy to get why people are excited for this.

8 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Well, he asked the Minifig question...

And of course the reply is “I can’t say”. Then again, that was the response regarding anything but what was seen in the video, so I guess it’s just standard procedure.

Beyond that, it’s clear that Nintendo and LEGO have been working hard on this, 4 years can’t be for nothing! 

Most interesting parts from the interview:

When asked if there are more expensive display sets for fans that don't care about the technology stuff, the answer was "Well, we will leave that up to our fantastic community like you guys to decide, but I can assure you, some very iconic sets are coming."

Do all sets have a digital component, or are there differences? "LEGO Super Mario is the only character that has technology inside, but all sets will feature the action-bricks that he can interact with."

There are many new elements - for example the green tube, the Koopaling shields (like ones on the back of Bowser Jr.), and new modular system with rounded corners. The modules (such as the rotator platform, Bowser Jr. tower and Piranha in Tube) are build on the 8×8, 6×6 or 4×4 rounded plates, under which a 2 wide plate can go underneath.

Lead Designer couldn't answer if we'll get Mario or Luigi minifigures.

He also couldn't answer if it's a Jump and Run type of licence (one time thing), but he looks forward to continue relationship with Nintendo.

Sigh, that sounds like the entire wave will be like this. Really not a fan of these. But I guess it saves me some money as Harry Potter, Marvel, Minions and Star Wars are already emptying my wallet this year.

Still I really hope this theme will do well so that the theme sticks around for system scale sets.

Anyway it's pretty original, so I think it might actually attract a new audience.

By „iconic buildings“ I’m 99% sure we’re getting a Peach’s castle. If you look at the amount of sets and the pieces and compare it to what we have seen already (which is about 500 pieces, I counted a bit), I’m sure that we’ll get stand-alone sets that will feature normal minifigures etc.

Edited by topiku

27 minutes ago, topiku said:

By „iconic buildings“ I’m 99% sure we’re getting a Peach’s castle. If you look at the amount of sets and the pieces and compare it to what we have seen already (which is about 500 pieces, I counted a bit), I’m sure that we’ll get stand-alone sets that will feature normal minifigures etc.

I could definitely see them going a sort of Disney route with that.  Most sets are this new style, but we get a big set here or there with iconic structures and minifigures.  Maaayyybe a CMF line at some point.  Definitely sounds like the majority of the Mario line is focused on this game idea.

Doesn't take a fortune teller to know this won't do well without the minifigures.

Really crazy no one at Lego pumped the brakes on this.

That said, my personal ideal situation is all the expensive sets DON'T come with minifigures and then they just do a CMF series.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

He also couldn't answer if it's a Jump and Run type of licence (one time thing),

“Jump and Run” (the English words) are weirdly the German term for the English term “platform game”. The translated interview didn’t catch that. So he was asking whether the license was just for classic-style Mario games or whether it would include other stuff.

This is . . interesting.

Not at all what I expected but it makes sense . . and yet I’m disappointed (mostly because I got all excited for the CMF and apparently it isn’t happening. 

I could see myself trying this theme - some of the parts are bound to be interesting, and I particularly like the purple Toad House we’ve seen in the background of a couple of pictures. That said . . I really hope there are minifigures . . 

That aside, interesting new parts. The 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 with rounded corners all look cute and interesting, and I’m not convinced that the purported 2x5 isn’t actually a 2x6 with part of it hidden, but if it is then cool. 

Also the brick-built Yoshi is adorable and I know that I’m gonna get whichever set includes him no matter what, 

Remember we don't have price points and/or parts count for four of the eighteen set numbers originally leaked.

I wonder if Mario is actually in one of the $30 sets, 71366, given the technology in Mario himself and the smaller parts count relative to the others listed.

My question is if Mario is the only one of the technology figures, what are the four 10$ sets with terrible part numbers? I at least reckoned those to be the other plumbers, toad, or some other playable character.