MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

22 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

I love the penguin! Still no Luigi? I wonder whether the idea is to attach the second starter set to the first? :pir-sad2:

This isn’t a starter set. If the Starter Set was New Super Mario Bros., this one is Super Mario Maker. It doesn’t include Mario (which makes me annoyed that they priced it so high for a set with less than 400 pieces) but has exclusive parts that can be customised. Apparently. Looks like a pass to me.

I love the new power-ups though! They’re cute, and Tanooki Suit was always my favourite. Plus Penguin! What next, Frog? Speaking of the Penguin, I notice that it introduces an winter biome that’s not in any other set and seems to have been glossed over in favour of the purple ‘poision’ Soda Jungle area.

Oh, but I love the Soda Jungle stuff! The Wiggler looks brilliant, I’m absolutely getting that one, especially because of the 8x16 tiles in purple! :wub: And a Chain Chomp, too, yay! The Piranha set is a bit dull, but neat enough. 
The blind bags are . . meh for the most part. I do like the Poison Shroom, that’s a fairly deep dive into the lore. Most of the other enemies are fairly dull (you know I had forgotten that Thwimps even existed . . ) and . . Bone Goomba? Is that like a Dry Bones version of a Goomba? Is that a thing? The Ninjit and Fly Guy are cool, bonus that you can just take off the propeller and have a normal Shy Guy. 

Great looking wave, though it doesn’t really fill in the gaps in the franchise (Peach, Luigi, Rosalina . .) and people will hate it because it’s still not minifigure scale. Oh well, still gonna buy it and enjoy it.

I love them but I have to agree that the ennemies are... well for me... not that well known. There are a few that had forgotten about. 

2 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

This isn’t a starter set. If the Starter Set was New Super Mario Bros., this one is Super Mario Maker. It doesn’t include Mario (which makes me annoyed that they priced it so high for a set with less than 400 pieces) but has exclusive parts that can be customised. Apparently. Looks like a pass to me.

I love the new power-ups though! They’re cute, and Tanooki Suit was always my favourite. Plus Penguin! What next, Frog? Speaking of the Penguin, I notice that it introduces an winter biome that’s not in any other set and seems to have been glossed over in favour of the purple ‘poision’ Soda Jungle area.

Oh, but I love the Soda Jungle stuff! The Wiggler looks brilliant, I’m absolutely getting that one, especially because of the 8x16 tiles in purple! :wub: And a Chain Chomp, too, yay! The Piranha set is a bit dull, but neat enough. 
The blind bags are . . meh for the most part. I do like the Poison Shroom, that’s a fairly deep dive into the lore. Most of the other enemies are fairly dull (you know I had forgotten that Thwimps even existed . . ) and . . Bone Goomba? Is that like a Dry Bones version of a Goomba? Is that a thing? The Ninjit and Fly Guy are cool, bonus that you can just take off the propeller and have a normal Shy Guy. 

Great looking wave, though it doesn’t really fill in the gaps in the franchise (Peach, Luigi, Rosalina . .) and people will hate it because it’s still not minifigure scale. Oh well, still gonna buy it and enjoy it.

I like a lot of this wave, although I agree some of the blind bag characters are meh. I also am really bummed about no new heroes, especially Luigi. HOWEVER, this is a winter wave. I wouldn't be surprised to see another larger wave in August or so. Just like Harry Potter having the books available on January 1st with a larger wave coming in the summer. And yes, the Wiggler is also by FAR my favorite from this wave.

Also, the video for Wave 2 has been released!

Wow, I did not expect this! I hope LEGO keeps this pattern going and reveals more things during the week. About the sets themselves, I did not expect the “Master your adventure” set! It looks like the main feature is that, using that weird machine, you can change what the three power-ups do, such as coin amounts or what kind of mushroom you get, or even the star power. That’s really creative! It also gives an easy way to get all of the power-ups, Instead of having to buy more sets to get each individually. It’s kind of strange to just have one koopaling though, so I’m hoping the summer wave will fix that. (big airship, maybe?) 

For the other sets, the wiggler is interesting, I want to see how the opening platform works with the goomba. The piranha plant with the red coins looks funky but $30 is way too much. I get that it has a load of parts, but it should have included a few more platforms or another enemy to make it worth it. The chain chomp is really nice, with 2 new enemies and a new power-up (the coin block), but the feature might be too similar to the guarded fortress piranha plant. I really don’t care for the suits, and for the character packs, I’m happy with the fly guy and poison mushroom. Another general thing, I like the inclusion of parakoopas, as well as the fact that these are red koopas, to go with the green ones. Very cool.

edit: just saw the video, the chain chomp isn’t even attached! It just goes flying! That makes it VERY fun, and makes it unique too. That’s the one I’m most likely to get honestly.

edit: I know I keep on making more edits, but the maker set is listed on shop@home!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/master-your-adventure-maker-set-71380
January 1st release date, as expected, with loads of extra images and a 3D view to boast. Nice.

Edited by NetherCreeper

Watched the video, and noticed something interesting, the Tanooki suit still isn’t moulded with a tail but the tail is printed on the back. Hm. Guess it’s better than no tail like the cat suit.

12 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Watched the video, and noticed something interesting, the Tanooki suit still isn’t moulded with a tail but the tail is printed on the back. Hm. Guess it’s better than no tail like the cat suit.

No tail, no buy. It’s my favorite suit, but it does need its tail. That’s just lazy, Lego. 

The poison soda sets are awesome. The packs are a mixed bag (no pun intended). Some of them very good, and some less interesting. They should have given them better landscape builds like the previous wave

13 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

The catsuit has a printed tail...

But you don’t use the tail when wearing the cat suit. You climb and claw. It’s there because cats have tails. With tanooki the tail is the suit. It’s the essence of that suit. 

I expect that a molded tail for the Tanooki Suit, while it would be a visual improvement for sure, might cause some problems during gameplay since it'd change Mario's dimensions (dramatically so, if it stuck out straight behind him like in the game). For instance, it could make it so that he would no longer fit in the start pipe properly, or create issues where his center of gravity was different for balancing obstacles like the Piranha Plant Power Slide set.

Yeah, that would be a problem i guess. Plus knocking baddies over with his tail wouldn’t let mario read the stickertiles, so that’s not good either. Too bad, too bad. But now i understand their choice. 

14 hours ago, PantherCollection said:

Seems like they have removed them all from S@H website in the UK? Is it the same for everybody else??

Same here :wacko: Don’t know what’s up with that...

Do not know if this is news for you guys, since I do not follow the theme closely :shrug_oh_well:

However a small bird said to me that there are coming a Luigi set next year that allow for a new 2 player experience..

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Do not know if this is news for you guys, since I do not follow the theme closely :shrug_oh_well:

However a small bird said to me that there are coming a Luigi set next year that allow for a new 2 player experience..

I hope that‘s true :thumbup: Luigi > Mario :purrr:

Well, it’s my son’s 7th birthday today and we got him the starter set as we’ve been building up the polybags. He was and is absolutely over the moon about it, it’s by far the Lego set that he’s played with the longest and gone back to, which for an ADHD kid is quite something. He loved every aspect of it, and there wasn’t any talk of the size of Mario or no minifigures, just the joy of play. I don’t know if anyone has raised this or not, but one clever feature is that Mario recognises the colour of the ground he’s on, ie on blue he “drowns” and on red he “burns”. Overall a bonefida hit.

I built the NES set yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I also got two of the 2021 sets for Christmas (the Chain Chomp one and the Maker Set) and am looking forward to trying them out. They were found at Kohls in the U.S. so if you're interested in getting any of them before the "official" release date, you might try checking there.