MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

7 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but the box art for a set like this could have been so much better

IMO, the minimalistic artwork works perfectly here since it closely emulates the original NES box and the ads of that time :classic: I‘m not too sure about the Haunted House and Crocodile boxarts either, but here it fits very well, just like it did with the Mickey & Minnie set :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but the box art for a set like this could have been so much better

I made a great box art for the WW1984 set, and then...............................................................................................

I don't get it :wacko:

When compared to other licensed LEGO sets it does seem strange, but not when compared to other gamer targeted nostalgia products. The target demographic of this set has more in common with that of the Architecture sets than they do any DC movie set. The intended target here is likely to display the box (possibly an unopened extra copy) alongside the finished build.

Pretty interesting set, nice to see we're already getting some more standard-ish sets out of the Nintendo partnership already. Way too far out of my price range though.

57 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Pretty interesting set, nice to see we're already getting some more standard-ish sets out of the Nintendo partnership already. Way too far out of my price range though.

I don't see anything standard-ish about this new set. Near human scale models are pretty rare for LEGO. Though with the vintage duck toy, and upcoming ideas typewriter are making it more common.

3 hours ago, Megbricks said:

I wonder what type of connection that is. On this new set. Keeping in mind the proportions I can’t  figure Out what actual Existing pieces could be used.  New pieces???

50107744498_867800c6f2_b.jpg50107744483_68cc09ce31_b.jpg

new connection system?

Or one shot deal?

50108554127_e580a2184d_c.jpg

Looks like just ordinary click hinges/finger hinges attached to some sort of bracket to me. I don't think it's new.

There are pictures with the parts bag for the NES set with a 2017 date printed on it and others reporting that they have seen this set being shown off years ago. It seems this set may have been produced a while back and held back for some reason. If that is true all those large reddish brown plates will disintegrate once the bag is opened :head_back:

2 minutes ago, That Orange Thing said:

There are pictures with the parts bag for the NES set with a 2017 date printed on it and others reporting that they have seen this set being shown off years ago. It seems this set may have been produced a while back and held back for some reason. If that is true all those large reddish brown plates will disintegrate once the bag is opened :head_back:

We know that the LEGO Mario line has been in development for four years, this was likely developed around then, but held back when the main line of sets changed direction.

I'm so excited to pick this up regardless of the delayed release! :laugh:

Just saying I don’t think the 2017 on the bag means anything. I checked the bags for the helicarrier set and they have 2017 on them too

Come on LEGO! I’m trying to save money for all the HP stuff this year...:sadnew: 

This looks awesome. Something I definitely want to get. And if they expand it into other levels(and other games even) that would be amazing. Having them be expansion packs wouldn’t be cool. Although possibly tricky, as on their own they may not be too sellable. They could make them similar enough to those old mosaics. They could be fun little shelf pieces of old games. 

This looks like a bunch of fun! Most of the adult sets so far (with the exception of the Haunted House) are a bit too pretentious and artsy for my taste, but the 'playing' function looks fun to build and to mess around with. 

Do we know anything about price or release date?

Edited by Nerd-with-a-Pencil
i did not factor in technic and star wars ships

Lego doing everything they can to NOT give us minifig-scaled Mario sets...

All jokes aside, this is fantastic and the perfect gift for any Nintendo/Mario fans out there. 

Anyone noticed the crank handle on the side of the TV set? Looks like the TV "picture" is a scrolling backdrop, with Mario automatically jumping over obstacles. For that alone I'm tempted to buy this set, it's going to be an impressive mechanism...

48 minutes ago, NathanR said:

Anyone noticed the crank handle on the side of the TV set? Looks like the TV "picture" is a scrolling backdrop, with Mario automatically jumping over obstacles. For that alone I'm tempted to buy this set, it's going to be an impressive mechanism...

I don’t think there’s anything automatic about it. There’s a second handle attached to Mario on a swivel with a trans-clear bar. I’m pretty sure the idea is that you crank it and move Mario simultaneously to make as though you’re ‘playing the game’. 

Just now, Fenghuang0296 said:

I don’t think there’s anything automatic about it. There’s a second handle attached to Mario on a swivel with a trans-clear bar. I’m pretty sure the idea is that you crank it and move Mario simultaneously to make as though you’re ‘playing the game’. 

I dunno, I think the transparent dish on the back of Mario (3x3 I think?) might be meant to "automatically" lift him over smaller obstacles (this would explain why some of the background objects like bushes are placed one plate forward in the foreground where he can interact with them like the enemies, pipes, and "ground"). Of course it could be both, with the swinging arm for Mario automatically lifting him over those smaller obstacles while you can also control it to jump him up to higher platforms.

2017 is also on the bags of brand new 2020 Ninjago, Creator 3-in-1 and City sets, it has absolutely nothing to do with the parts inside, it's just a copyright on the bag art design

Edited by TeriXeri

I definitely feel like Mario is a part of the automation; if you look closely at the blurb about the starter kit integration, it seems to say that the block mario interacts with "[on]-screen obstacles, powerups, and enemies" meaning that--unless im misunderstanding--that blocks to make 8-bit mario jump, stomp, etc in tune with the passing background are integrated into the build, possibly with corresponding code stickers.

It really just looks like the dish causes Mario to physically move over the objects. Registering my prediction in agreement with those above who've posited this. It's no more complex than that.

This video just got released and is probably of interest here. It quickly shows the inside mechanics and the interactivity with the Mario figure.

This is fantastic! I can't wait to build my own levels for it!

Edited by DragonKhan

300CAD, alright, but seeing that 200USD makes me wish it were 270CAD like some other 200USD sets used to be, especially considering USD->CAD conversion takes 200USD to 270CAD.

I like the set. Now I hope we get an SNES to go with it.

Edit: woah, I just saw the video with the game in motion. I'll take eight.

Edited by Terrasher

Wait, it comes out August 1st?

I dont remember any set being anounced 2 weeks before coming out.

Anyway, what are the chances of us getting a GWP?

I hate myself for loving this. It's such a weird concept, but it's executed so neatly I can't help it. It could be just pure nostalgia, although I played Mario not on NES but local knock-off, Pegasus (and never finished it, later levels were way too hard). I love how detailed the models are despite being blocky. Looks like there are plenty of quite useful prints, especially the white lines surrounding the "controls" and the volume knob. Obviously I would've preferred a minifig Mario, but I must admit the 8bit figurine has its charm. Kinda a missed opportunity to include Luigi, but that's pretty much the only gripe I have (other than the price, which is always too damn high).

Also getting a licenced TV brand would be a nice touch (Sony perhaps? :iamded_lol:)

I was a bit hesitant if it had a $250 price tag, but $200 for 2600 parts is fantastic! The scrolling feature is lovely.

This really is an amazing set.

22 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

Aso getting a licenced TV brand would be a nice touch (Sony perhaps? :iamded_lol:)

They could buy up a dead brand. I think my first TV was a Grundig.

Making your own levels for this with sound effects using the big Mario should be nice and easy.