MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Only if the first wave sells successfully, that is. I’m hoping it’ll sell well.

I think this partnership will last more than one wave almost regardless of sales.  Nintendo is one of the biggest IPs LEGO has ever partnered with, I would guess they've probably entered an agreement for more than one wave.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:06 AM, Fenghuang0296 said:

I’m inclined to believe the pictures over the text, and the pictures say Mario’s coming in the Castle.

Pictures do lie. I know it's a different theme but in 2013, Star Wars had the Battle of Hoth promo picture showing 2 Lukes in the "everything included" shot. Not very misleading, easy to tell that's not the case, right? 2014 Snowspeeder, Promo shot includes Luke, Dak, and 2 Snowtroopers (set only had 1). Just a mistake, amiright!? 2016 U-Wing: Promo picture included a Rebel that was only included in the TIE Striker. And those are the catalog shots, not the same as a picture that can be included with a press release.

Until the white background shows Mario with the Bowser castle, he's not coming with the Bowser castle. On top of that, as was mentioned, it's ridiculous to think that any set with Mario, tech-y as he is (which is inherently expensive) will have a near-perfect PPR. It's just not happening. There's a reason why the $60 set is called a "Starter Set". You need it to get everything else rolling. To argue that a $100 set needs to stand on its own is absurd in this case. Normally, yes, but this is not a normal theme.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

22 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Looks like instructions could be digital only....:sceptic:

I don't know if that's the case. The description of the starter set does mention instructions within the app, but that might either mean the instructions being duplicated within the app with added functionality (like Lego Instructions PLUS enabled sets), and/or specific instructions for ways to rearrange the "modules" contained within each set into new course layouts (with paper instructions still being included for constructing the modules themselves, some of which are quite complex).

Speaking of complexity, I've been trying to build these sets digitally as they're revealed and the Bowser's Castle set has some quite clever functions. I just managed to figure out that the tower with the Boo on it actually seems to be counter-rotating (with the platforms rotating one way as the top of the tower and the Boo rotate the other way). I think I've mostly figured out the mechanics of it despite not having pictures of the build or interior structure, and it's definitely an interesting and elegant mechanism!

57 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Pictures do lie. I know it's a different theme but in 2013, Star Wars had the Battle of Hoth promo picture showing 2 Lukes in the "everything included" shot. Not very misleading, easy to tell that's not the case, right? 2014 Snowspeeder, Promo shot includes Luke, Dak, and 2 Snowtroopers (set only had 1). Just a mistake, amiright!? 2016 U-Wing: Promo picture included a Rebel that was only included in the TIE Striker. And those are the catalog shots, not the same as a picture that can be included with a press release.

Until the white background shows Mario with the Bowser castle, he's not coming with the Bowser castle. On top of that, as was mentioned, it's ridiculous to think that any set with Mario, tech-y as he is (which is inherently expensive) will have a near-perfect PPR. It's just not happening. There's a reason why the $60 set is called a "Starter Set". You need it to get everything else rolling. To argue that a $100 set needs to stand on its own is absurd in this case. Normally, yes, but this is not a normal theme.

looking again, there are various other images of the other sets that also have mario in them that make it look like he's included:

the polybag promo image on this page does so

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-super-mario-adventures-with-mario-starter-course-71360-pre-order-on-zavvi/

And one of the extra images for the GWP on brickset does the same:

https://brickset.com/sets/40414-1/Monty-Mole-Super-Mushroom-Expansion-Set

We know that these sets don't come with mario, so it's fair to guess that this is the case with the castle too. I hope that most of the pictures for these sets don't do this, its really misleading, and it's a lot more intentional than the examples you've listed.

49 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

looking again, there are various other images of the other sets that also have mario in them that make it look like he's included:...

...We know that these sets don't come with mario, so it's fair to guess that this is the case with the castle too. I hope that most of the pictures for these sets don't do this, its really misleading, and it's a lot more intentional than the examples you've listed.

Exactly. Remember, these are from  a press release, and thus not fully indicative of what each set contains/doesn't contain.

10 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The pre-order bundle is sold out *huh* So much for „ThIs ThEmE WoN‘t SeLl, LeGo Is DoOmEd“ :tongue:

And I guarantee a fair few of these "it's the end times" people are among them.

Honestly, though the sets don't appeal to me personally, I think it's a cool idea and I'm glad the pre-order bundle sold out.

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And I guarantee a fair few of these "it's the end times" people are among them.

Honestly, though the sets don't appeal to me personally, I think it's a cool idea and I'm glad the pre-order bundle sold out.

I'm not! I wanted to order it! :P It kind of reminds me of that original early release bundle of Tahu and Vakama that was available in the back of Lego Mania Magazine when the Bionicle theme was announced way back in 2001.

I do wonder whether the preorders selling out might also have been impacted by COVID-19. I know that both Lego and Nintendo have had supply chains disrupted by the virus, so a collaboration could be impacted on both the Lego and electronics end. I can't help but wonder if Lego might have a more robust inventory that they could feel comfortable reserving for early purchasers in a hypothetical 2020 where the whole world wasn't thrown into chaos by a pandemic.

11 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The pre-order bundle is sold out *huh* So much for „ThIs ThEmE WoN‘t SeLl, LeGo Is DoOmEd“ :tongue:

Wow. Just checked the canadian site again and there is no longer any mention of the promo. It’s gone. Wow glad I acted fast on this one. I usually wait a few days...

Did anyone notice the white LEGO part used for Bowser’s shell? If that piece is a new mold element, I think it may be useful for Blastoise from Pokémon! That is, if LEGO is interested in getting the Pokémon license after Mega Construx eventually loses it.

Okay, I take all my negativity back. This will do well, and I'm hyped af.

Also, are we sure the promo set isn't a regular retail set they're throwing in as a bonus. 

Additionally, wtf is the stone thing? I don't think it matches up with a Thwomp variant.

44 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

Additionally, wtf is the stone thing? I don't think it matches up with a Thwomp variant.

The one on the Monty Mole set? It's an Stone-Eye.

hqdefault.jpg

I think there's some sort of electronic component to Bowser's Castle. When Mario was placed on the platform, Bowser slid forward, p, And I don't see how a non-electronic mechanism could accomplish that. So I wonder if there's some sort of motor in the back of the castle (remember, they recently put out those more kid friendly motors). 

I might be completely wrong, but perhaps the arms and bridge are motorized.

Just now, GeneralNumberOne said:

I think there's some sort of electronic component to Bowser's Castle. When Mario was placed on the platform, Bowser slid forward, p, And I don't see how a non-electronic mechanism could accomplish that. So I wonder if there's some sort of motor in the back of the castle (remember, they recently put out those more kid friendly motors). 

I might be completely wrong, but perhaps the arms and bridge are motorized.

I think the brown panels he stands on can tilt forwards, the arms hold the panels in place, and turning the platform mario is on moves a support out of the way that allows the panels to fall. It's really clever, I must admit, and if more sets have features like that then I'll be happier with these sets.

8 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

I think the brown panels he stands on can tilt forwards, the arms hold the panels in place, and turning the platform mario is on moves a support out of the way that allows the panels to fall. It's really clever, I must admit, and if more sets have features like that then I'll be happier with these sets.

Not just allows the panels to fall—turning the platform Mario is on back and forth seems to actually RAISE the panels under Bowser's feet alternatingly, making Bowser "waddle" closer and closer to Mario until (presumably) he falls in the lava.

There also seems to be a bridge section behind that that I think Bowser stands on at the start—stomping on both of the round tiles to either side seems like it lifts the statue's arms, which in turn tilts that first bridge forward so that Bowser slides onto the second section.

As I mentioned above, the towers to either side seem to have functions as well. The left tower with the Boo rotates the opposite direction of the platforms surrounding it, possibly making the Boo knock Mario off the platform as it turns. The tower on the right, with the Dry Bones, I haven't 100% figured out—either the platforms act as a sort of lever (such that stomping on one side makes the Dry Bones fall off the other), or they slide in and out, though I don't entirely understand the significance of that if it is the case.

Speaking of this set, I do think it's interesting that that set doesn't seem to contain Princess Peach (who would usually be a "damsel in distress" being held captive by Bowser in his castle). I'm guessing that either she's being saved for use as a playable "digi-fig" like Mario (sort of like how she was playable in Super Mario 3D World), or she'll appear as a brick-built figure like Yoshi in a separate set, possibly one that includes her castle.

36 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I wonder how much it would be if Lego just sold the Mario figure by himself? 20$?

Assuming a $0.10 price per piece, it's more like $35-$40.

23 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Assuming a $0.10 price per piece, it's more like $35-$40.

That seems a lot for an electronic figure. Amiibo of Mario aren't even close to that price.

24 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

That seems a lot for an electronic figure. Amiibo of Mario aren't even close to that price.

Amiibos don't have gyro sensors, colour detectors or LED screens :tongue:

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Amiibos don't have gyro sensors, colour detectors or LED screens :tongue:

Does it have Gyro? Isn't it just a touch sensor in the feet? Like how Amiibo have a touch sensor in the base?

2 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Does it have Gyro? Isn't it just a touch sensor in the feet? Like how Amiibo have a touch sensor in the base?

It has gyro, an accelerometer, some sort of camera in the feet, and the screens. Amiibo just have an RFID chip. 

28 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

It has gyro, an accelerometer, some sort of camera in the feet, and the screens. Amiibo just have an RFID chip. 

In that case, while I still think that the press release was poorly worded and didn't mean that Mario was exclusive, but the functions were, I now am more convinced that he's only in the Starter Set, but pictured with the Castle for some reason.  Guess we'll have to wait another couple of months to find out for sure, but if that's the case, I can see why it's so expensive.

Speaking of Amiibo, one thing I have been considering is creating custom "Amiibo bases" for these Lego Mario figures. NFC stickers are relatively cheap, and it would be easy enough to write the necessary data and stick them to a brick-built base.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:04 AM, Lyichir said:

Speaking of Amiibo, one thing I have been considering is creating custom "Amiibo bases" for these Lego Mario figures. NFC stickers are relatively cheap, and it would be easy enough to write the necessary data and stick them to a brick-built base.

Oh, that would be cute!