MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

LEGO obviously knows the risks, I think the only people who have tried to argue otherwise are those who have said LEGO doesn't know what they're doing and will fail (something which you and I have been discussing since the theme's unveiling).  However, I don't really think it's that massive of one.  The argument of whether or not it will sell is a very tired one, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.  In order for there to be a massive risk here, there has to be potential for massive consequences.  I don't see any, and so far nobody's really pointed out any realistic ones.  Like you said, the worst that will happen is that they'll try again.  Future sets are more than likely already being designed given the usual production timeline, not to mention that LEGO is seemingly pretty confident that the partnership will continue regardless of sales.

I just honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about, or why all these predictions of failure and drawing of conclusions has been necessary.  Especially when many of those conclusions have been proven wrong already.  I've been saying it for a while now, but patience would be helpful here.

We've been discussing this ad nauseam because like it or not, both sides are valid. Instead of ignoring arguments to the contrary, or downplaying them, we need to understand that failure is an option, and so is success. For every reason something should work there's another why it shouldn't. And you know the best part? Success in the face of failure, or, in this case, the face of everyone telling you you'll fail, is the most satisfying victory. Lego is behind the wheel, under fire, whatever other analogy for pressure there is, and when they come out on top, everyone will cheer them on, salty or not.

So continue well wishing this theme, that's your right. It's also others' rights to question Lego's plan with this. Neither side is right or wrong, it's all a matter of opinion.

And, I do have some idea what I'm talking about. Retail and sales work grants you perspective that simple consumerism can't. What sells and what doesn't. And sometimes companies are wrong. Sometimes we the fans are. Understanding both sides is important. Keeping a balanced perspective only serves to temper disappointment, not amplify it.

9 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

And others decide that because they like the theme it must succeed.

Shade works both ways.

Not quite with this theme. People who like it haven’t said it’s going to be a gold mine. But the negative ones are saying it’s going to be an outright flop. First, we haven’t even seen everything yet, just a glimpse. It’s times like this where adults seem to forget LEGO is a children’s toy first. What we like/want is likely vastly different to what kids want. We’ve gone down this road far too many times, most recently with Minions & Trolls.

as to your use of working in retail as some insider scoop on what sells & what doesn’t...that is true, for your area. I believe it was Hidden Side where I last saw this kind of talk. Someone was mentioning how the sets are warming shelves & constantly on discount. That’s not the case from what I see. 

9 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

I mean, not really.  I'm obviously as excited for LEGO Nintendo anything just as anyone else, but these sets aren't quite my cup of tea and I've never claimed them to be.  It's a cool concept, but I'm not the target market and don't plan to play through my own levels.  Might pick up one or maybe two depending on what the sets themselves look like for display, but my budget is pretty small for extra purchases so they'd have to be really good looking.

The thing is, the opinions of AFOLs have absolutely no bearing on the success of this particular product, because it is not for us in any way.  Nintendo fans are super excited across all social media platforms, it worked out well in the focus groups, and it's Mario.  The notion that the theme will be a complete failure to the point where it will be a one-off product line, especially when LEGO has already confirmed otherwise, has some clear roots in bias.  And that's not directed at anyone in particular, but it's a sentiment seen not only in this thread, but in other AFOL communities as well.  And many others have already pointed out the silliness of it.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I like the concept, it even seems pretty fun. Chances aren’t that good that I’ll buy any, but that’s because there’s higher priorities on my list. Just have to wait & see what else is on the menu. With that first video tease, I wasn’t too sure. Then they showed the other & I switched. I think it’s great, it’s basically a buildable Mario game, sounds & all. 

46 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Not quite with this theme. People who like it haven’t said it’s going to be a gold mine. But the negative ones are saying it’s going to be an outright flop. First, we haven’t even seen everything yet, just a glimpse. It’s times like this where adults seem to forget LEGO is a children’s toy first. What we like/want is likely vastly different to what kids want. We’ve gone down this road far too many times, most recently with Minions & Trolls.

as to your use of working in retail as some insider scoop on what sells & what doesn’t...that is true, for your area. I believe it was Hidden Side where I last saw this kind of talk. Someone was mentioning how the sets are warming shelves & constantly on discount. That’s not the case from what I see. 

Lego is a children's toy, but, like I keep saying, children are quite the unreliable audience. That cannot be overstated. Besides, sets that are popular with most AFOLs can also be popular with kids. I see no need for Mario to be any different, but that's the beauty of opinion.

Hidden Side also doesn't sell from what I've seen, but in my opinion, it's still a cooler theme. Ninjago sadly also isn't as popular as it used to be either, and it used to be the talk of the community. It still is in some circles, but my point is that normal themes have these kind of "will it, won't it" problems, so it makes sense for such an oddity to raise concern from among Lego fans. Nintendo be damned, at its core, this is about Lego. And, at the end of the day, Lego probably has a gem (or two) up it's sleeve. Something that's going to make this all go away.

Put it this way, in the Star Wars thread, people were complaining because of rumors that Lego wasn't making any further sets for The Mandalorian this year, and then what happened? The Razorcrest reveal, that's what.

So, some see good, some see bad, I don't see why either expressing how they feel is a bad thing.

43 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Lego is a children's toy, but, like I keep saying, children are quite the unreliable audience. That cannot be overstated. Besides, sets that are popular with most AFOLs can also be popular with kids. I see no need for Mario to be any different, but that's the beauty of opinion.

Hidden Side also doesn't sell from what I've seen, but in my opinion, it's still a cooler theme. Ninjago sadly also isn't as popular as it used to be either, and it used to be the talk of the community. It still is in some circles, but my point is that normal themes have these kind of "will it, won't it" problems, so it makes sense for such an oddity to raise concern from among Lego fans. Nintendo be damned, at its core, this is about Lego. And, at the end of the day, Lego probably has a gem (or two) up it's sleeve. Something that's going to make this all go away.

Put it this way, in the Star Wars thread, people were complaining because of rumors that Lego wasn't making any further sets for The Mandalorian this year, and then what happened? The Razorcrest reveal, that's what.

So, some see good, some see bad, I don't see why either expressing how they feel is a bad thing.

Children are the audience though... obviously I can agree to sets being popular with both kids & adults, we all can. It’s in our name. :tongue:

Ninjago was one of the top selling themes...so it’s clearly still very popular. Expressing good or bad feelings on any theme is fine, it’s when the feelings that are opinion are stated as fact is where the problem lies. None of us know if this theme will flop, it hasn’t even all been revealed, much less on the market. That’s all. 

13 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

(not that that's anything new in this thread, it seems some have decided that just because they don't like the theme it must fail).

Kinda make it sound like it's alien concept for people to like something like this but still believe it going to become a failure. Like I who really enjoy the LEGO Dimension and even got all the packs (except Super Girl) despite seeing  it to be a major failure because of all the choices that were made for it.

9 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

LEGO obviously knows the risks, I think the only people who have tried to argue otherwise are those who have said LEGO doesn't know what they're doing and will fail (something which you and I have been discussing since the theme's unveiling).  However, I don't really think it's that massive of one.  The argument of whether or not it will sell is a very tired one, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.  In order for there to be a massive risk here, there has to be potential for massive consequences.  I don't see any, and so far nobody's really pointed out any realistic ones.  Like you said, the worst that will happen is that they'll try again.  Future sets are more than likely already being designed given the usual production timeline, not to mention that LEGO is seemingly pretty confident that the partnership will continue regardless of sales.

I just honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about, or why all these predictions of failure and drawing of conclusions has been necessary.  Especially when many of those conclusions have been proven wrong already.  I've been saying it for a while now, but patience would be helpful here.

So far my expectation of failure with certain theme from Dimensions, Bionicle G2, last 2 year of Hero Factory, Star Wars Buildable Figures and Nexo Knights were correct. Maybe I be correct again with this, maybe not. Unlike some of those here who acting like "this is a killing blow for LEGO", I only believe it is somewhere in the far future. As they have forgotten what to do with contraction and have CCBS over stayed it's welcome, Dimensions they were just throwing random licenses themes, and them pretty much ignoring a part of their target buyer. It's not that they know or don't know, it's a mix of the two, it's down right a damn mess.

While I still hold that this would fail, I can see the argument why people like it and thinks it won't.
In the end, both side made points about this, some thoughts may change, some won't. Least we ain't keeping out thoughts in a box to just manifest into taking out opinion to the extreme. 

My only issue is with Mario being in the $60 set. I actually want him, not for the gameplay, but just for the fun of what I could do with him. I have some parts from a Duplo ice cream set that would make for some silly Mushroom Kingdom scenes.

I feel like I say this like a broken record on this site, but I remember quite vividly what I liked and didn't like as a kid. Its really not much different from what I like now and what my kids like now. Only difference is their attention is getting split in a lot more ways then mine ever was (in the 70s and 80s).

They'll end up doing the minifigures (CMF I assume?) that every is asking for and soon everyone will be mostly happy.

Only thing I see them doing which I personally won't like, is putting 3 of 4 figures of a "set" (from any one game or theme) in the CFM series and then the forth will be in a $100+ or $200+ set. 

1 hour ago, Gomek said:

Only thing I see them doing which I personally won't like, is putting 3 of 4 figures of a "set" (from any one game or theme) in the CFM series and then the forth will be in a $100+ or $200+ set. 

I have a feeling if we do get minifigure sets and a CMF series, the core characters (Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad, etc) will probably be in the sets, and the CMF versions would be things like Metal Mario, Dr. Mario, Fire Flower Mario, Tanooki Mario, etc, in addition to some of the random characters that may not make it into sets (Rosalino, Birdo, etc).

I also do want to point out one potential thing that gives this game system hope, something I think most people are forgetting.  Dimensions et al were in-house products, and while they would've collaborated with TT or whoever to make the actual games, those aren't nearly as big or successful of game designing firms as Nintendo.  I think Nintendo is probably better than anyone ever has been at marketing and selling video games.  I'm not saying it's a sure fire seller, but I do think it has more potential to outperform stuff like Dimensions since they have such a powerful gaming giant helping develop the product. 

I honestly could see this going either way.  Like others have mentioned, stuff like Ninjago probably seemed really gimmicky when it first came out with the Spinjitsu and all that, but that's probably one of the most successful in-house themes they've ever done, after Town/City.  The biggest potential issue is just the price of this stuff.  If Mario came in the $30 set I could see this really taking off, but I think it's really a coin toss at this point, plus we haven't seen the sets.  There could be some worth getting even if you aren't interested in the video game aspect.

Someone got an image of a pair of the new 6x6 bases in dark red, showing top and bottom. I see such potential for those pieces.

Wait! Is the support structure under the line of 'floating' bricks a new piece?

Edited by gedren_y

Who knows if this will sell well, that ain't the point. I think the point a lot of us "haters" make is that this isn't at all for the majority of AFOLs. I know LEGO is designed for kids but much of it can be enjoyed by anyone of all ages. This seems more like it's halfway to Duplo. :P

Hey, if it does well maybe we'll get good and more adultish sets. People are allowed to be disappointed in this. 

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

I honestly could see this going either way.  Like others have mentioned, stuff like Ninjago probably seemed really gimmicky when it first came out with the Spinjitsu and all that, but that's probably one of the most successful in-house themes they've ever done, after Town/City.  The biggest potential issue is just the price of this stuff.  If Mario came in the $30 set I could see this really taking off, but I think it's really a coin toss at this point, plus we haven't seen the sets.  There could be some worth getting even if you aren't interested in the video game aspect.

Interesting point about Ninjago. I really feel like the gimmicky aspect was more of hindrance to the theme.

My comment about the CFM and sets was more based on what I've seen Lego do with Disney and Lego Batman. Like you will get the core figures in CFM and then Goofy gets put in a $200 set. Or you'll get some jail outfits or disco outfits in CFM, but then the others will be in large sets. I'm sure some people will call that "smart", but it's just not a practice I'm fond of.

42 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Someone got an image of a pair of the new 6x6 bases in dark red, showing top and bottom. I see such potential for those pieces.

Wait! Is the support structure under the line of 'floating' bricks a new piece?

Neat. I wonder if they got a hold of some test moulds or something...

It's funny/sad to me to see how quickly hype for this rose and fell. Hopefully we get more info soon. There is a rumored Nintendo Direct next week, so maybe then?

41 minutes ago, nintendude64 said:

It's funny/sad to me to see how quickly hype for this rose and fell. Hopefully we get more info soon. There is a rumored Nintendo Direct next week, so maybe then?

I'd be surprised if we got more information in a Direct, though they'll probably mention what we already know. I don't expect to see anything else official until set reveals, and probably nothing from Nintendo.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, leafan said:

In before @just2good pops in for his annual visit :classic:

Yo. Here to say I'm sure we'll get minifigures this year. There's no way we won't.

3 hours ago, just2good said:

Yo. Here to say I'm sure we'll get minifigures this year. There's no way we won't.

Would that I could have your confidence, mr. 2good; as a die-hard Nintendo fan, I've just inured myself to inevitable disappointment.

I think we might get a Super Mario D2C set, maybe a castle and that one will come with minifigures with more minifigure based sets to come in 2021.Speculation on my part. 

This is something I have literally had multiple dreams of since I was a child and has brought me out of Lego retirement. I have faith that because of the Price to Piece ratios on some of these, we will be getting regular System sets in the first wave. I have a deeply internalized bias, yet I cannot see this theme doing very, very well.

However, I'm really hoping that the $100 set of the first wave will be Bowser's Castle and not Peach's Castle. I think that Peach's Castle deserves a D2C Disney Castle-style treatment. In fact, I've been plotting out an idea for what it could look like. The only problem is that I have no experience making a large-scale MOC. I really wish that I could just send the blueprint to Lego and have that be made into the official thing! :head_back: I'd love to talk some more about it, but I'm not sure if this is the right place. (I'd love to know where)

The design lead Jonathan Bennink has stated that his favorite entry in the series is Mario 64, which gives me a sigh of relief. It is my favorite as well, so I hope a lot of sets cater toward that game's interpretation of things :grin:

The really interesting thing is that I actually think there is a lot of similarity between the process of making a Lego set, where all these different isolated scenes are physically plotted out into one location in a way that makes sense (Temple of the Crystal Skull is a great example of this) and the very similar way levels are designed in 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey, where all the different parts of a level must be put together in a way that flows well with all of it.

9 hours ago, Harkonen said:

I think we might get a Super Mario D2C set, maybe a castle and that one will come with minifigures with more minifigure based sets to come in 2021.Speculation on my part. 

That would be amazing, although the amount of new molds they would need to make makes me doubt it. I would kinda like to see a castle like the old knights Kingdom? one which could transform between the regular good guys castle and the one overtaken by the bad guys. That would be so cool if done for Mario. But sadly that's too much to ask for.

2 hours ago, Ninjaguy99 said:

Hoping this leads to more Nintendo like Zelda or more importantly...

LEGO SPLATOON!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m hoping for Metroid, the under-appreciated F-Zero, or even Donkey Kong Country!!

And whenever Mega Construx loses the Pokémon license one day, I’d love to see what LEGO can do with the franchise!

What if!!! We DO get a set of ##lego super Mario  with regular minifigures and that those lego friends tubes that just leaked get used for it in green....

won’t post the pictures because it’s a leak... but that could be interesting. It would be different from the square-ish tube from the other Super Mario sets but if they give us a proper collector set with more accurate figures... hmmm.  

53 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

For a more minifig scale pipe they could recolor this piece.

33 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Or this piece may go well with a Piranha Plant!

They could!!! I actually have a non lego piranha plant that uses a very similar piece! I’ll add picture in a minute

49684230103_b52dc772d7_b.jpg49684230108_97fa94b5f8_b.jpg49684230078_f3601d434e_b.jpg