MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

28 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It didn’t have to do with that. Look I’ll say this, it seems the $60 set is a must buy to get into this theme at all. I get where they are going for this theme with style of build levels. But flagship sets that are $60 in order to get into a theme all together seems risky 

Fantastic. So Mario only comes in the $60 starter set. This is like shooting yourself at the start.

Yeah this theme is doomed, i mean who at Lego thought to only put Mario in the $60 set. Kids want Mario and their parents won’t let their kid buy a $60 set unless for their birthday, the kid saved money, Christmas, or a special occasion in my case. Kids don’t want a set that doesnt have Mario. 

They should've just done minifigures and not a block of tech and bluetooth that boosts the price greatly.

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

The thing isn't even worth $60. To put things in perspective, the basic 2DS is $60. There's no way this thing costs as much as that to produce. I doubt it even costs half as much as that does. This toy is worth $30 at most. I doubt many parents will be willing to pay $60, as from what I've seen, most parents don't buy anything above $40 unless it's for a special occasion.

1 hour ago, TOTDForever said:

This thread is a shit show, let's all just enjoy lego together 

Agreed. I just wanna play with LEGO Sonic and Mario, speeding through Mushroom Kingdom, while Bowser teams up with the Ender Dragon to destroy Hogwars, and Homer Simpson and Fred Flintstone saves the day.

See? Crossover potential. :moar:

I think LEGO takes a original direction with this theme,
Reminds me of the old LEGO Games line, with a technological twist to it.
Speaking of tech, I think the Mario bigfig is what makes it expensive.

I'll just be here waiting for a collectionable minifigs line to go with it, so kids can still play with the sets without ruinning themselves.

And no, it wont be the end of Lego, like it wasnt with Nexo Knights or anything else.
Seriously, I think when its not Space or Castle, people here are disgusted.

Well, the plus side of Mario being in the $60 set is it does put the possibility of traditional sets back on the table.  I think given the price/part ratio of a few of the set numbers, that would only make sense, since it looks like the "game based" sets are going to have a lot of specialized parts, not even counting the RFID/electronic elements (the pipe pieces look pretty big for one) to where sets with those would likely have a poor price/part ratio.  That's why something like Peach's Castle or Luigi's Mansion would make sense.  No real specialized parts, no electronics, which would keep the price/part ratio around the number we're used to. 

EDIT:

Also, a bit disappointed that Mario will only be in the $60 set.  If he was in that $30 set, I probably would've bought it just to see how it worked and if it was worth getting more, but I'm not sure I want to invest $60 into the line for just a starter set.

Edited by Kit Figsto

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Well there is actually a reason - he would make right away a lot of people disappointed and not interested in this theme. This way, he can keep some people's interest. Also, for example @Falconfan1414's "just when you thought it couldn't get worse for this theme" doesn't give us much hope for this theme.

I don't understand your logic here. People would be disappointed, but postponing the disappointment doesn't really help them as

A: if this forum is any evidence everyone hates this theme already anyway

B: As I said, they don't really gain anything by hiding it, as we'd HAVE to know if minifigures are in the sets at some point before the actual release, no one's going to buy one of these thinking that because lego didn't officially confirm no minifigures that they'll appear in the box somehow.

Also, from @Falconfan1414 we now know he was referring to mario only coming in the $60 set.

@GeneralNumberOne,  the lego mario is apparently able to read rfid stickers in such a way that children can do it by slamming the mario on them, has some sort of colour sensor, etc. Combined with said RFID stickers and the large amounts of large pieces, I'd say it's worth $60 in the sense that it's the same amount of profit they make off of it as the average $60 set or something. Not neccesarily worth $60 in the sense that i'd buy it, but it is a cool idea and one lots of children will like.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

Well, the plus side of Mario being in the $60 set is it does put the possibility of traditional sets back on the table.  I think given the price/part ratio of a few of the set numbers, that would only make sense, since it looks like the "game based" sets are going to have a lot of specialized parts, not even counting the RFID/electronic elements (the pipe pieces look pretty big for one) to where sets with those would likely have a poor price/part ratio.  That's why something like Peach's Castle or Luigi's Mansion would make sense.  No real specialized parts, no electronics, which would keep the price/part ratio around the number we're used to. 

I imagine even if we get minifig scale sets, they'll use the new elements.

18 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

I imagine even if we get minifig scale sets, they'll use the new elements.

Oh, new elements, absolutely, but some of the larger ones we've seen thus far look like they might be on the expensive side, and a set like Peach's Castle wouldn't necessarily require any of those parts (pipes, any of the enemies), which is why I think it's likely that the sets with normal price/piece ratio could be more akin to what people were hoping for.  Just a guess, though.

Ok, because of Eurobrick's weird image conversion rules, I accidentally destroyed the original pic, but I've made a backup.

Here's a estimate amount of how the minifig will scale with the Mario digifig:

G6P5iig.jpg

Edited by LuigiBobLegoPants

So, Mario only comes in the $60 set huh?

Called it.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

I have spoken.

11 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

it seems the $60 set is a must buy to get into this theme at all.

I dunno.

As an adult, I’m not bothered about the Mario/game elements at all.

But would I fancy a piranha plant in a pipe and a few blind bags of Bob-ombs and Koopas for the desk? I’m thinking I might.

There is zero confirmation that Mario is only in the $60 set, that idea is based purely on speculation.  Let's not go spreading false rumors without any basis.

It's just as likely given the part counts/price per part ratios that the $10 sets each contain a Mario, possibly different versions.  But that's merely speculation as well, we've learned no new info about the sets since the part counts were revealed.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

4 minutes ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

There is zero confirmation that Mario is only in the $60 set, that idea is based purely on speculation.  Let's not go spreading false rumors without any basis.

It's just as likely given the part counts/price per part ratios that the $10 sets each contain a Mario, possibly different versions.  But that's merely speculation as well, we've learned no new info about the sets since the part counts were revealed.

Umm it’s not speculation it’s info I have heard

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

Umm it’s not speculation it’s info I have heard

My bad, tried to search for the context but this thread has been moving pretty fast lately and seems I missed that!

Still though, it's probably best to avoid the doomsday predictions just based on that like many have been doing (not that that's anything new in this thread, it seems some have decided that just because they don't like the theme it must fail).  Miscommunications happen, still entirely possible that there are other ways to get Mario other than the starter set, and even if that does end up being the case it's not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Still though, it's probably best to avoid the doomsday predictions just based on that like many have been doing (not that that's anything new in this thread, it seems some have decided that just because they don't like the theme it must fail).  Miscommunications happen, still entirely possible that there are other ways to get Mario other than the starter set, and even if that does end up being the case it's not the end of the world.

And others decide that because they like the theme it must succeed.

Shade works both ways.

Anyone else still kinda excited for these sets? Yea that $60 Mario set is very steep but I'm sure the builds will be colorful 

6 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

Anyone else still kinda excited for these sets? Yea that $60 Mario set is very steep but I'm sure the builds will be colorful 

I've been thinking about making a more proportional brick built mario to go with the digi-fig scale sets. You might even be able to use the same hat piece, I feel like with the right design it could work.

13 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Shade works both ways.

I mean, not really.  I'm obviously as excited for LEGO Nintendo anything just as anyone else, but these sets aren't quite my cup of tea and I've never claimed them to be.  It's a cool concept, but I'm not the target market and don't plan to play through my own levels.  Might pick up one or maybe two depending on what the sets themselves look like for display, but my budget is pretty small for extra purchases so they'd have to be really good looking.

The thing is, the opinions of AFOLs have absolutely no bearing on the success of this particular product, because it is not for us in any way.  Nintendo fans are super excited across all social media platforms, it worked out well in the focus groups, and it's Mario.  The notion that the theme will be a complete failure to the point where it will be a one-off product line, especially when LEGO has already confirmed otherwise, has some clear roots in bias.  And that's not directed at anyone in particular, but it's a sentiment seen not only in this thread, but in other AFOL communities as well.  And many others have already pointed out the silliness of it.

14 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So, Mario only comes in the $60 set huh?

Called it.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

I have spoken.

Kuill is actually the emperor confirmed!

Hopefully we'll see minifigure-scale sets, some like the $99.99 witch 1010 parts, and some others, seem like they can't be the game sets considering the large amounts of large pieces in the game sets we've seen so far, not to mention that wven without the mario those RFID sticker things on the goombas and whatnot can't be cheap.

2 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

My bad, tried to search for the context but this thread has been moving pretty fast lately and seems I missed that!

Yes, some people are upset lego's trying something new and have prophesized doom for lego itself. It's actually kind of funny.

46 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Shade works both ways.

i don't know, there's a difference between the people saying "hey kids might like this" and 

On 3/13/2020 at 11:35 PM, GeneralNumberOne said:

I really can't see this selling well. With the economic crash, families can't afford to drop $60 on a stupid gamble to see if little Timmy will like his dumb Mario baby toy. This theme is garbage and I think it's going to kill Lego. I for one am giving up on Lego. It's a pity, I loved Lego, but they keep doing dumb stuff like this, Trolls, Minions, and whatever's happening with their DC line. And that's all just this year. Lego's dead. It's just going to get worse and worse. Star Wars doesn't sell well anymore. Those busts won't sell well. D-0 won't sell well (D-0 toys line clearance shelves across the country because Disney decided to market the stupid JJ Abrams self insert droid rather than Babu Frik or Baby Yoda). They aren't doing Clone Wars sets, and there are only a couple of Mando sets. Black Widow's going to bomb, as will Wonder Woman, which seem to be Lego's two big pushes for this year. They're screwing up at every turn. This will go down in history as the year which mortally wounded Lego. I give them five years at most before they go under. 

Consumer level toy companies as a whole won't make it to 2030. Mattel's on the verge of going under, relying on He-Man of all stupid things to keep themselves afloat. Don't get me wrong, I love MOTU, but people aren't going to take it seriously. To the average person, the entire brand is the Filmation cartoon. It's a genuinely awful cartoon. Hasbro's biggest hitters, Marvel and Star Wars are just warming shelves. The Marvel hype's died down (which I think we will see after Black Widow comes out), and Star Wars is pretty much dead when it comes to merchandising.

The end is near. Toys are doomed.

I feel like there's a bit of a difference between "I wish they did something else with the theme" and quotes like the one above. Criticism is welcome, and this theme certianly could use a fair amount based on what we've seen so far, but I don't think it needs to be at quite this level.

Most people are criticising this reasonably, but there are a few that are to the extent of satire, trolling, etc.

Just now, TheNerdyOne_ said:

I mean, not really.  I'm obviously as excited for LEGO Nintendo anything just as anyone else, but these sets aren't quite my cup of tea and I've never claimed them to be.  It's a cool concept, but I'm not the target market and don't plan to play through my own levels.  Might pick up one or maybe two depending on what the sets themselves look like for display, but my budget is pretty small for extra purchases so they'd have to be really good looking.

The thing is, the opinions of AFOLs have absolutely no bearing on the success of this particular product, because it is not for us in any way.  Nintendo fans are super excited across all social media platforms, it worked out well in the focus groups, and it's Mario.  The notion that the theme will be a complete failure to the point where it will be a one-off product line, especially when LEGO has already confirmed otherwise, has some clear roots in bias.  And that's not directed at anyone in particular, but it's a sentiment seen not only in this thread, but in other AFOL communities as well.  And many others have already pointed out the silliness of it.

I think some are failing to understand the massive risk Lego is taking. Lego has taken massive risks in the past, and some have worked while others haven't. This is a similar product to failed themes like the aforementioned Dimensions, Fusion, Life of George, etc. That might not mean much to the average consumer, but it is worth noting in the overall eyes of a business. And yes, it is Mario. However, many Mario toys stay around on shelves, waiting for the odd customer or two to pick it up. I know what I see working at a retailer that deals with videos games and associated merchandise. I see a whole wall of Mario merch that almost never moves. My experience might be unique, but it's telling. Lego is a toy at its core, that's true, however, this theme from what we've seen has very restrictive appeal. Lego can say what it wants, because at the end of the day, it's a company. It has to be positive, especially in the face of criticism. If you think that they don't know the risks, I don't know what to tell you. They're living on a prayer, and hope that they can make this work.

That all being said, it's unlikely that in the event this theme doesn't make it, Lego is doomed, and it's also unlikely that their partnership with Nintendo will end.If anything, they'll learn from their mistakes and try again.

Besides, I'm almost 100% positive that the $100 set will save the theme (at least in the eyes of the detractors).

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

Kuill is actually the emperor confirmed!

Hopefully we'll see minifigure-scale sets, some like the $99.99 witch 1010 parts, and some others, seem like they can't be the game sets considering the large amounts of large pieces in the game sets we've seen so far, not to mention that wven without the mario those RFID sticker things on the goombas and whatnot can't be cheap...

...I feel like there's a bit of a difference between "I wish they did something else with the theme" and quotes like the one above. Criticism is welcome, and this theme certianly could use a fair amount based on what we've seen so far, but I don't think it needs to be at quite this level.

Most people are criticising this reasonably, but there are a few that are to the extent of satire, trolling, etc.

Agreed on pretty much all points. This isn't the end for Lego, obviously. It's very risky, but I'm positive they know how to balance the risk.

1 minute ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I think some are failing to understand the massive risk Lego is taking. Lego has taken massive risks in the past, and some have worked while others haven't. This is a similar product to failed themes like the aforementioned Dimensions, Fusion, Life of George, etc. That might not mean much to the average consumer, but it is worth noting in the overall eyes of a business. And yes, it is Mario. However, many Mario toys stay around on shelves, waiting for the odd customer or two to pick it up. I know what I see working at a retailer that deals with videos games and associated merchandise. I see a whole wall of Mario merch that almost never moves. My experience might be unique, but it's telling. Lego is a toy at its core, that's true, however, this theme from what we've seen has very restrictive appeal. Lego can say what it wants, because at the end of the day, it's a company. It has to be positive, especially in the face of criticism. If you think that they don't know the risks, I don't know what to tell you. They're living on a prayer, and hope that they can make this work.

That all being said, it's unlikely that in the event this theme doesn't make it, Lego is doomed, and it's also unlikely that their partnership with Nintendo will end.If anything, they'll learn from their mistakes and try again.

Besides, I'm almost 100% positive that the $100 set will save the theme (at least in the eyes of the detractors).

Yeah, at least that $100 set HAS to be something other than the game ones, the PPP alone is strong evidence.

And I think they do know the risks, just that it's one they can take. I don't think they're "living on a prayer", though.

I thought you were responding with your text after the first qoute because I got the notification before your edit came in on my computer, your comment makes alot more sense now.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

43 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Agreed on pretty much all points. This isn't the end for Lego, obviously. It's very risky, but I'm positive they know how to balance the risk.

LEGO obviously knows the risks, I think the only people who have tried to argue otherwise are those who have said LEGO doesn't know what they're doing and will fail (something which you and I have been discussing since the theme's unveiling).  However, I don't really think it's that massive of one.  The argument of whether or not it will sell is a very tired one, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.  In order for there to be a massive risk here, there has to be potential for massive consequences.  I don't see any, and so far nobody's really pointed out any realistic ones.  Like you said, the worst that will happen is that they'll try again.  Future sets are more than likely already being designed given the usual production timeline, not to mention that LEGO is seemingly pretty confident that the partnership will continue regardless of sales.

I just honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about, or why all these predictions of failure and drawing of conclusions has been necessary.  Especially when many of those conclusions have been proven wrong already.  I've been saying it for a while now, but patience would be helpful here.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_