MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

3 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

He's eleven parts. His ears are 1x1 round tiles.

So they are. Maybe the nose and mustache as well? those look like they could be taken off. Though I guess we'll have to wait till release to be sure.

Edited by Takanuinuva

All this discussion prompted me to watch the live action movie again.

*sings* ". . . Open the door, get on the floor. Everybody walk the dinosaur . . ."

Oh boy a lot of reading of what ya'll be talking about yesterday. So here me two cents.

I seen the tweet just today bringing up that Nintendo wanted normal bricks sets, but LEGO wanted technology/interactivity. This brings fear that LEGO will once again forgot about the brick, doom to repeat the bankruptcy at some point in the future.

I'm on the side that see this becoming a flop. LEGO try this two time before and have fail, first was Fusion, than Dimension (though there were also other thing that cause Dimensions failure as well). LEGO Mario may fail in the same way as Dimension with price to piece but worse as 4 $10 have 10-13 pieces. This is despite the more interacting with the set than moving them around and looking more at the Tablet. Least with Hidden Side, we can just ignore the mobile part of the set, as it doesn't heavy rely on it, while the former mentions does, creating large gaps in the price to parts.

I saw a video bringing up that we may likely get minifigure along side these as they call it 'digfig', as the price to part for 6 sets have a more reasonable price to part, while 8 have vary large gaps on price to part. With the tweet I saw and this video, I believe this is a reasonable connection. Chance if LEGO haven't at least have some traditional sets, Nintendo may have gone to Mega instead. (those guys already have Pokemon on their hand, so it would be a huge mistake to lose Mario to them)

On 3/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, Brandon Pea said:

If this sells well enough, they should do some MarioKart sets.

With that I could see LEGO returning those Mighty Micros style vehicle for that, except the minifigure cartoony look would fit.

1414falconfan posted on Instagram saying "Just when you you think it couldn't get worse for Lego Mario, it does". Any idea what that could mean? His leaks are always spot on.

Just now, nintendude64 said:

1414falconfan posted on Instagram saying "Just when you you think it couldn't get worse for Lego Mario, it does". Any idea what that could mean? His leaks are always spot on.

Maybe that means the builds suck :( that is what I care about most 

Just now, nintendude64 said:

Maybe no system scale sets? Or no minfigures? Can't think of anything worse.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Maybe no system scale sets? Or no minfigures? Can't think of anything worse.

Probably this, since people were holding out hope that the largest set would be Peach’s castle in minifig scale.

Just now, 7982Brick2 said:

I think it might have something to do with Mario only being available in one set. 

I don't think lego is that dumb. There is being ballsy and then there is just plain financial suicide 

2 hours ago, nintendude64 said:

Oh no, the theme is setting up for failure.

I think what Falcon means by that is that we will not get minifigures (Which is a stupid idea not to do Minifigs) or Mario is only in one set. (Mario being in just one set would literally kill the theme). 

Kids want minifigures, not a ugly blocky mario that could be in only one set that is probably $60.

3 hours ago, ShadowWolfHount said:

This brings fear that LEGO will once again forgot about the brick, doom to repeat the bankruptcy at some point in the future.

Even if Mario is a financial failure, it won’t pull Lego into bankruptcy again.

Just now, GeneralNumberOne said:

This theme's so dead. Honestly, I think this might be the beginning of the end for Lego. 

I feel like this might be the slightest exaggeration, they're a pretty big company. They can afford to have some lines of products fail.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

I feel like this might be the slightest exaggeration, they're a pretty big company. They can afford to have some lines of products fail.

They've been megablocking up a lot lately. I think it's time for all of us to jump ship here. Lego can't do anything right anymore.

53 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Even if Mario is a financial failure, it won’t pull Lego into bankruptcy again.

I said 'at some point in the future' not this year, certainly not the next, but somewhere in the future, if they keep persisting with the Toy to Life (along with this heavily relying on licensed themes).

7 minutes ago, ShadowWolfHount said:

I said 'at some point in the future' not this year, certainly not the next, but somewhere in the future, if they keep persisting with the Toy to Life (along with this heavily relying on licensed themes).

You are correct that Lego could be pulled back into bankruptcy with things like Mario

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

IMO Mario will only be available in one set, which is the one shown in the picture where all we see is the Pipe, Mario, 1 Goomba and the flag pole. That's the starter set (like the portal in Dimensions), and every other set is an add-on. With that one set, you have the starting point with the pipe, the end point with the flag pole, Mario, and a Goomba for extra playability.

I honestly don't see why Mario would be in more than 1 set, since I think that second set would also need to include the pipe and the flag pole. I think it would be a better move for TLG to keep all the essential elements to build a course in one cheap set (I think one of the 30€ sets has something like 140 pieces), and exclude the most expensive element (Mario) from the other sets.

EDIT: Oh, boy, yeah, I just saw that the 60€ set has only about 230 pieces and is the first one by number on the list. Is the Mario figure really that expensive?

Edited by Terrasher

I'm expecting one of two things to happen. Either these don't sell at all, or scalpers buy all of the Mario sets. If the latter happens, I can see this theme being counted as a success, and Lego stupidly continuing it. Either way, this spell certain death for Lego, especially because they lose the Star Wars license next year. I think it's time we all move on.

4 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

IMO Mario will only be available in one set, which is the one shown in the picture where all we see is the Pipe, Mario, 1 Goomba and the flag pole. That's the starter set (like the portal in Dimensions), and every other set is an add-on. With that one set, you have the starting point with the pipe, the end point with the flag pole, Mario, and a Goomba for extra playability.

I honestly don't see why Mario would be in more than 1 set, since I think that second set would also need to include the pipe and the flag pole. I think it would be a better move for TLG to keep all the essential elements to build a course in one cheap set (I think one of the 30€ sets has something like 140 pieces), and exclude the most expensive element (Mario) from the other sets.

EDIT: Oh, boy, yeah, I just saw that the 60€ set has only about 230 pieces and is the first one by number on the list. Is the Mario figure really that expensive?

Yeah, that mario is expensive, it is a block of tech with bluetooth

1 minute ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

especially because they lose the Star Wars license next year. I think it's time we all move on.

Wait what

First off, LEGO's not going to go bankrupt if Mario fails.  If anything, they're probably the strongest they've ever been in terms of brand appeal.  LEGO's at the point now where their toys are an icon that span generations.  It's not "weird" anymore for adults to like LEGO.  There's literally a primetime game show in the US on one of the major networks based around LEGO.  Minifigures alone are just as popular as action figures right now with a lot of kids/families that I see.  They're in a position where they can afford to take these risks and themes like City, Harry Potter, Ninjago, Creator, Technic, or Star Wars are sure-fire sellers can make up for the losses (if they incur any) on any potential busts.  

Secondly, I kind of am doubting the report that Nintendo wanted traditional sets and LEGO wanted to do a game-immersion type thing.  Think about it for a second.  From a logical standpoint, if Nintendo really wanted to continue with bricks, they could've either stuck with K'Nex or gone to Mega Blocks or something.  Yeah, those aren't as popular as LEGO, but if they were that dead-set on bricks, then who cares who's producing them?  Also, I highly, repeat, highly doubt the creative lead behind the project would come out and say "Well, Nintendo wanted us to do this, but we went the complete opposite direction instead!" before the product even launched.  I'm guessing here, but I have a feeling that the person being interviewed probably said something implying that Nintendo came to them wanting to make brick sets, but they thoughts "Hm, what if we took this further?"  I'm pretty sure the way the license is structured that LEGO can't just take it whatever direction they want without very many people on both sides (LEGO/Nintendo) giving them the okay, so I really feel like this is a false narrative being pushed that LEGO is entirely to blame if we don't get traditional sets.  

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Yeah, that mario is expensive, it is a block of tech with bluetooth

Wait what

We've known for years that 2021 is when the license is up

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

First off, LEGO's not going to go bankrupt if Mario fails.  If anything, they're probably the strongest they've ever been in terms of brand appeal.  LEGO's at the point now where their toys are an icon that span generations.  It's not "weird" anymore for adults to like LEGO.  There's literally a primetime game show in the US on one of the major networks based around LEGO.  Minifigures alone are just as popular as action figures right now with a lot of kids/families that I see.  They're in a position where they can afford to take these risks and themes like City, Harry Potter, Ninjago, Creator, Technic, or Star Wars are sure-fire sellers can make up for the losses (if they incur any) on any potential busts.  

Secondly, I kind of am doubting the report that Nintendo wanted traditional sets and LEGO wanted to do a game-immersion type thing.  Think about it for a second.  From a logical standpoint, if Nintendo really wanted to continue with bricks, they could've either stuck with K'Nex or gone to Mega Blocks or something.  Yeah, those aren't as popular as LEGO, but if they were that dead-set on bricks, then who cares who's producing them?  Also, I highly, repeat, highly doubt the creative lead behind the project would come out and say "Well, Nintendo wanted us to do this, but we went the complete opposite direction instead!" before the product even launched.  I'm guessing here, but I have a feeling that the person being interviewed probably said something implying that Nintendo came to them wanting to make brick sets, but they thoughts "Hm, what if we took this further?"  I'm pretty sure the way the license is structured that LEGO can't just take it whatever direction they want without very many people on both sides (LEGO/Nintendo) giving them the okay, so I really feel like this is a false narrative being pushed that LEGO is entirely to blame if we don't get traditional sets.  

Ninjago and Star Wars don't sell. Same with Trolls. Minions will also flop. Lego's doomed.

Just now, GeneralNumberOne said:

Ninjago and Star Wars don't sell. Same with Trolls. Minions will also flop. Lego's doomed.

In 2018 they were both top 5 in best-selling themes, and Star Wars was listed in their top 5 for 2019 as well.  Furthermore, their annual report for 2019 stated that their operating profit before taxes was $1.5b USD.  That's one year of profit.  Total assets were close to $35b USD.  One bad selling line, assuming that this line isn't even performing (which is guessing at this point) isn't going to take down a multibillion dollar company.

I really can't see this selling well. With the economic crash, families can't afford to drop $60 on a stupid gamble to see if little Timmy will like his dumb Mario baby toy. This theme is garbage and I think it's going to kill Lego. I for one am giving up on Lego. It's a pity, I loved Lego, but they keep doing dumb stuff like this, Trolls, Minions, and whatever's happening with their DC line. And that's all just this year. Lego's dead. It's just going to get worse and worse. Star Wars doesn't sell well anymore. Those busts won't sell well. D-0 won't sell well (D-0 toys line clearance shelves across the country because Disney decided to market the stupid JJ Abrams self insert droid rather than Babu Frik or Baby Yoda). They aren't doing Clone Wars sets, and there are only a couple of Mando sets. Black Widow's going to bomb, as will Wonder Woman, which seem to be Lego's two big pushes for this year. They're screwing up at every turn. This will go down in history as the year which mortally wounded Lego. I give them five years at most before they go under. 

Consumer level toy companies as a whole won't make it to 2030. Mattel's on the verge of going under, relying on He-Man of all stupid things to keep themselves afloat. Don't get me wrong, I love MOTU, but people aren't going to take it seriously. To the average person, the entire brand is the Filmation cartoon. It's a genuinely awful cartoon. Hasbro's biggest hitters, Marvel and Star Wars are just warming shelves. The Marvel hype's died down (which I think we will see after Black Widow comes out), and Star Wars is pretty much dead when it comes to merchandising.

The end is near. Toys are doomed.

38 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

Consumer level toy companies as a whole won't make it to 2030. Mattel's on the verge of going under, relying on He-Man of all stupid things to keep themselves afloat. Don't get me wrong, I love MOTU, but people aren't going to take it seriously. To the average person, the entire brand is the Filmation cartoon. It's a genuinely awful cartoon. Hasbro's biggest hitters, Marvel and Star Wars are just warming shelves. The Marvel hype's died down (which I think we will see after Black Widow comes out), and Star Wars is pretty much dead when it comes to merchandising.

Toys arent doomed, Lego is selling well and The marvel hype has not died down, and toys are going to make it through 2030

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

The negativity is funny, the doomsday end of LEGO is hilarious...one line of 14 sets theoretically not selling well doesn’t mean the death of LEGO...how stupid is that? I can’t believe adults are making these comments. It could do good, bad, or great. Only time will tell. But please, continue with the dumb comments, they’re great.