MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

Some good reasoning, but I think Mario would be in the $30 set 71366. Its part count is significantly lower than the equally priced 71365 & 71367. Additionally your count is off: 71360-71373 is 14 set numbers that we have information on. Early set numbers information for Leaf also listed 71374-71377.

It's possible that Mario could be in two sets. A $30 set with the Goomba, and a $60 set with Bowser Jr. That way there are two options to get him. There are 14 numbers confirmed, however I think 71361 is a series (?) and therefore I didn't count it among the total. I don't know if the Leaf numbers will come into play at all, and it may be too early to tell. It's also possible that those are (a) planned for next year, or (b) cancelled/unused set numbers.

27 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

It's possible that Mario could be in two sets. A $30 set with the Goomba, and a $60 set with Bowser Jr. That way there are two options to get him. There are 14 numbers confirmed, however I think 71361 is a series (?) and therefore I didn't count it among the total. I don't know if the Leaf numbers will come into play at all, and it may be too early to tell. It's also possible that those are (a) planned for next year, or (b) cancelled/unused set numbers.

This is the most likely scenario, Mario coming in at least two sets, and I too also expect the $10 sets to be additional ‘playable’ characters. If not Mario for redundancy, probably Luigi, Peach, Toad and Wario. It wouldn’t be the first time that LEGO did sets where you needed to buy a small extra set for full functionality - does anyone remember the Battle Suits in Nexo Knights? All of the major Knight vehicles had some kind of function where they attached to a Battle Suit as weapons/armour/jetpack/other, and that didn’t work unless you had at least one Battle Suit. It could be a similar story. Though the vehicles still functioned to an extent without the Suit, and I suspect the sets will have some functionality without them.

Personally, if there really is a set with literally just Mario and that tiny three-part scene with the Goomba and another, bigger and more interesting one also with Mario, I’ll skip the smaller one easily and I suspect many would agree with me. Though I feel like I want to get at least a couple of the sets in this wave, if for no other reason than to try the gimmick out.

Also, does anyone think that those huge gloved hands are actually compatible with minifigure arms? Because if those are really the same arm pieces as the Minions, then . . I kinda wanna try putting those huge hands on a minifigure as big cartoon gloves, just for a laugh.

Mario might have a low piece count, but there's a lot of technology inside of him, which will largely affect the price. I really think there's only 1 set with Mario, a starters pack, and everything else will be things for him to interact with.

They could maybe do another one with Luigi for a two player twist to the game.

This went from possibly making me un-semi-retire from LEGO to a complete Zero.

Despite Mario having a large range of fans aged baby to old people, they've aimed this exclusively towards children, even MORE than LEGO already does :P. I'm not sure an AFOL could generally be interested in these.

1) They're made for play. I don't know about most adults but I don't think we literally play with our LEGO. We make scenes, we display them, we build them. I already hate the little stud blasters we get often instead of normal blasters. Play functions that take away from the build I just dislike.

2) The builds as we've seen them suck. They're fully for play. They're not impressive looking. I guess we can get the unique pieces and build our own much more impressive looking Mario themed things...

3) The figures, oh god as a Minifigure person I hope they have normal ones. It looks like they don't. If they have some hidden somewhere like a minifigure series I could still get behind that I geuss.

4) The actual physical game. I work in the video game industry, I know games. The game looks dumb. There's no way it'll attract anyone that isn't a tiny child. 

God, this is about as disappointing as it gets for LEGO so far. Nintendo is known to be for all age groups and this just isn't.

I was thinking that maybe the level sets include one or two minifigures? Just speculation.  I hope that we get atleast a good Bowser figure but it would be weird to not get lego minifigs too. 

Well, here's another interview, and, in my opinion, a more interesting one.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/

It's confirmed that this is meant to be a long term liscene, "we haven't worked for four years just to release one wave of products". They've also been reading all the online reactions from this announcement, they clearly know how we feel about this. Also, about other characters, the head of the mario figure is removable, so I guess that's how they'll make mew characters; same body, new head. Honestly, this interview makes me more interested in the theme.

The designer says the video shows the head coming off, but it doesn't. I think what was meant was the hat.

3 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

The designer says the video shows the head coming off, but it doesn't. I think what was meant was the hat.

Ah, that makes more sense. But, what's the point in saying "we will have some more exciting news to share on that in the future"? What could be exciting about a removable hat? Unless he just meant the figure in general, maybe.

Edit: I know mario odyssey has all the hat mechanics, but if they made sets for that in this figure style I would go mad.

Edited by NetherCreeper
clarification

8 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Well, here's another interview, and, in my opinion, a more interesting one.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/

It's confirmed that this is meant to be a long term liscene, "we haven't worked for four years just to release one wave of products". They've also been reading all the online reactions from this announcement, they clearly know how we feel about this. Also, about other characters, the head of the mario figure is removable, so I guess that's how they'll make mew characters; same body, new head. Honestly, this interview makes me more interested in the theme.

Meant to last is not the same as will last. Plenty of themes I'm sure were meant to last but, depending on their reception, either did or didn't. It's also funny to me that this guy worked on Dimensions, and then went straight into this. Let's also remember this important fact: It took 4 years for them to design and release this. They better cross their fingers tight that it succeeds, or else this will have been a huge waste of time.

Reading more of the interview as I type this. Wow, this was inspired by toys-to-life. "Life-to-toys"? :wacko: Did he think that through before he said it, because it sounds ridiculous. So, you acknowledge that Dimensions, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity all went down the crapper (Dimensions wasn't as bad because of the minifigs), and still thought "We're Lego. We can make this work"? Logic...

Focus groups are alive and well, of course. While it is good that some kids found the premise interesting, how many of these kids exist "in the wild"? Focus groups are good and bad because it can skew the viability of a product based on that specific group.

I love how the designer says, "kids can make levels for their parents, and parents or older siblings can make challenging levels for the kids", to make it sound more appealing than it actually is. While it is a good idea to try and get parents and kids to spend more time together, how long before, as some have mentioned, it gets old? Sure, it may be fun for that 30-60 minute focus group period, it might be fun for the first week or so, but past that?

I think they want this to be a longer thing than it's going to be, because they've put 4 years into it. It has to work in their eyes. Hopes of a lengthy partnership with Nintendo will disappear if the actual sales (initial response be-damned) flop.

Let's hope there's some system sets up their sleeve this year in this wave, or (judging from responses across multiple platforms) it's game over.

I went back to the video, specifically the rear view of Mario. It looks like you might be able to change his overalls. The head and red shirt seem to be one piece. This could mean fire, flying raccoon, and caped versions could be in those $10 sets. Maybe frog as well if they can make the pieces to get that look. The strobing effect of invincible might be diffcult to pull off.

I gave the square shape a bit of thought, and I now believe it makes perfect sense. There is a level of nostalgia around the classic NES aesthetic. I own a shirt with a picture of the original NES controller and the words 'KEEP IT CLASSIC'. Mario's look will appeal to some longtime gamers.

It’s a very creative take on the licence. Hopefully we will see regular sets and mini figures brought into the mix eventually.

28 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Meant to last is not the same as will last. Plenty of themes I'm sure were meant to last but, depending on their reception, either did or didn't. It's also funny to me that this guy worked on Dimensions, and then went straight into this. Let's also remember this important fact: It took 4 years for them to design and release this. They better cross their fingers tight that it succeeds, or else this will have been a huge waste of time.

It's been made pretty clear that this is more a collaboration than anything.  It's as much a Nintendo product as it is a LEGO one.  Sales could be absolutely horrible (which we have no evidence to believe they will be besides the opinions of a few AFOLs, which has no bearing on sales; the response from pretty much everybody else has been pretty great so far), and it's still pretty likely we'd see more sets.  Even if Mario somehow fails, it's pretty clear that there's interest from both parties in making more sets from various Nintendo IPs.

I mean, it's been a while since LEGO has really failed at anything.  Pretty much all of their themes the past like 5 years have been simply mediocre at the absolute worst, and big hits in the majority of cases.  Any one-off themes were designed that way, usually to promote an upcoming movie.  I think it's safe to assume that they know how to get accurate focus group results better than any of us here.  They've been working on this for 4 years, I'd imagine they'd have tested its viability over a longer period of time than 60 minutes.

6 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I went back to the video, specifically the rear view of Mario. It looks like you might be able to change his overalls. The head and red shirt seem to be one piece. This could mean fire, flying raccoon, and caped versions could be in those $10 sets. Maybe frog as well if they can make the pieces to get that look. The strobing effect of invincible might be diffcult to pull off.

I gave the square shape a bit of thought, and I now believe it makes perfect sense. There is a level of nostalgia around the classic NES aesthetic. I own a shirt with a picture of the original NES controller and the words 'KEEP IT CLASSIC'. Mario's look will appeal to some longtime gamers.

The $10 sets being different versions of Mario is a very good idea!  Definitely seems possible.  Even if the overalls aren't removable, it would theoretically be easy to just change the colors of the piece.  Would definitely qualify as the "exciting news" that was mentioned.

If the head can come off, it makes my theory of the $10 sets being the characters more likely (that would mean Mario has exactly eleven pieces). 

This looks like a fun theme and one that inspires creativity. I've talked to some friends who like Nintendo but know nothing about Lego, and they think this is super cool. The difference between afols and the adult Nintendo community is that they play with things, so this appeals to them greatly. Also, a lot of them tend to buy pretty much anything with Nintendo stuff on it.

12 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I don't get classic NES style Mario from this figure. It looks more like a Duplo figure based on the Brickhead style dressed as Mario

Just now, DentedFrood said:

I don't get classic NES style Mario from this figure. It looks more like a Duplo figure based on the Brickhead style dressed as Mario

People associate blocky square shapes with retro gaming as a whole. It may not be accurate, but most people either remember retro graphics as better or worse than they actually are. Most people tend to forget what they actually look like if they played the game as a kid.

41 minutes ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

It's been made pretty clear that this is more a collaboration than anything.  It's as much a Nintendo product as it is a LEGO one.  Sales could be absolutely horrible (which we have no evidence to believe they will be besides the opinions of a few AFOLs, which has no bearing on sales; the response from pretty much everybody else has been pretty great so far), and it's still pretty likely we'd see more sets.  Even if Mario somehow fails, it's pretty clear that there's interest from both parties in making more sets from various Nintendo IPs.

I mean, it's been a while since LEGO has really failed at anything.  Pretty much all of their themes the past like 5 years have been simply mediocre at the absolute worst, and big hits in the majority of cases.  Any one-off themes were designed that way, usually to promote an upcoming movie.  I think it's safe to assume that they know how to get accurate focus group results better than any of us here.  They've been working on this for 4 years, I'd imagine they'd have tested its viability over a longer period of time than 60 minutes.

LEGO is good at hiding its losses, like any company, we're not going to know what fails and what doesn't. Trust me, there's a lot behind the scenes that spark certain decisions.

Also, I wish people would stop talking about all the possible Nintendo IPs that could out of this. Until there is more reason to believe otherwise, this is about Mario and friends, not Zelda, not Kirby, not Samus. Mario. Very few licenses come about just because another IP of its parent company got made into Lego. Disney is about the only one, because Disney.

This isn't just about what kids want, because kids are very unpredictable, I know I was. Focus groups as a whole is a poor testing tactic, only because however large or small the sample size, you run the risk of failure once product hits the market. These facts are undeniable. Not only that, this is a concept in the vein of Skylanders and Lego Dimensions (with some differences) and various Angry Birds toys (not that different), which have all come and gone in the past. The more info that's revealed, the less hope I have for this theme as a whole.

Should've just gone for normal sets. Kids love those too. Lest we forget...

From what we've heard I'd assume  most ,if not all, the sets will be like this aside from the 'Favorite' set mentioned which would probably be the the £100 peach's castle with minifigs of the core cast

2 hours ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

Damn, it looks like that $60 set will be the only one with Mario. This theme's dead on arrival. 

Where does it say that?

Just now, Takanuinuva said:

Where does it say that?

The sixty dollar one has roughly the amount of pieces seen in the teaser with the pipe, Goomba, and flagpole, and the ten dollar sets are costume.

I wonder how you are supposed to play? Just move Mario? Because it's kind of impossible for him to die since you won't intentionally put him in lava.

7 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

The sixty dollar one has roughly the amount of pieces seen in the teaser with the pipe, Goomba, and flagpole, and the ten dollar sets are costume.

Well here's hoping we get at least 2 sets with Mario. A cheap one and the 60$ one.

Seems real dumb of Lego to put the gimmick in the most expensive set.

I don't think they've done that before.

And since Mario's overalls can be swapped out. That makes him 9 pieces. (Hat, Torso/Head, Overalls, 2 buttons, 2 arms, 2 hands.)

Unless the head can be taken off the torso as well. As some powerups have his shirt color change. I could see it having some kind of simplistic connecting for the electronics between the torso and head.

Just now, Takanuinuva said:

Well here's hoping we get at least 2 sets with Mario. A cheap one and the 60$ one.

Seems real dumb of Lego to put the gimmick in the most expensive set.

I don't think they've done that before.

And since Mario's overalls can be swapped out. That makes him 9 pieces. (Hat, Torso/Head, Overalls, 2 buttons, 2 arms, 2 hands.)

Unless the head can be taken off the torso as well. As some powerups have his shirt color change. I could see it having some kind of simplistic connecting for the electronics between the torso and head.

He's eleven parts. His ears are 1x1 round tiles.