MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Apparently Solid Brix interviewed a creative lead from Lego, allegedly Nintendo wanted normal sets, but Lego wanted technology, interactivity.

Yeah, I don’t think Minifigs are coming

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Most interesting parts from the interview:

When asked if there are more expensive display sets for fans that don't care about the technology stuff, the answer was "Well, we will leave that up to our fantastic community like you guys to decide..."

I love how absolute cheeky this answer is. That's pretty much saying "No. This is what you get, so deal with it." :laugh:

I think it's quite clear how this is going to pan out. Lego had a goldmine, only to fish out copper and head to the market.

I really wish more of you would see the signs and understand that this is not going to go well. Nintendo/Japan/Kids/Whatever else can't save Lego if Lego doesn't play their cards right. It's an innovative new real/virtual mix toy, and those always do so well. I'll give you a good example of this (apparent) concept done right: Hidden Side. Hidden Side is very much an AR experience, but figures to back it up, and wonderfully make sets, both location and vehicle-based. Mario needs to be treated like Minecraft on steroids, but without proper figs (Simpsons' style, Normal style), and some kind of major location that will draw in EVERYONE (casual and hardcore fan alike), something that's for play and display, then it's over before it begins.

It's hard to accept, but this is the deal: This theme needs normal sets. To all those arguing "this isn't it!" (which it is, let's not kid ourselves), Lego would surely showcase both. It would be clear that this is only a small part of the theme. As it is, Lego's only promotion of this is their new board game-esque line of Mario sets. Some will like it, some will love it, but it would be a bigger hit, a home run, if they did normal sets, with minifigures, No one, not even me, would question Lego's direction and objective with this theme if they did that.

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Apparently Solid Brix interviewed a creative lead from Lego, allegedly Nintendo wanted normal sets, but Lego wanted technology, interactivity.

Where did you see that

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

:facepalm: :wall:

Well, that sucks...

Just realized something...

Remember when hidden side was revealed? We were told that physical ghosts would NEVER be made, but look at this year's into the hidden side set, we got exactly that. Maybe in the future, if this goes well, we'll get something...

3 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Um, I'd like to see that, because that sounds suspicious to me. Nintendo loves to do weird stuff, they would love to do something like this, this has to be their idea, else it wouldn't have taken 4 years to make. Yeah, no, this doesn't feel like the truth to me.

1 minute ago, NetherCreeper said:

Just realized something...

Remember when hidden side was revealed? We were told that physical ghosts would NEVER be made, but look at this year's into the hidden side set, we got exactly that. Maybe in the future, if this goes well, we'll get something...

Um, I'd like to see that, because that sounds suspicious to me. Nintendo loves to do weird stuff, they would love to do something like this, this has to be their idea, else it wouldn't have taken 4 years to make. Yeah, no, this doesn't feel like the truth to me.

Technically speaking, Hidden Side has had ghosts from the beginning. They weren't full figures, but they did have a physical element.

Reading the interview posted earlier, it seems clear that the theme's end product was discovered during a brainstorm process. Initially, it probably would've been more physical and system-based, but over the course of development, it took a side turn and viola, our new theme, in which (I'm paraphrasing) 'all sets will have bricks for Mario to interact with' and a theme which seems to be entirely focused on said interactions. Vague as the designer might have to be, there's little doubt that there's anything more to this.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

6 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Apparently Solid Brix interviewed a creative lead from Lego, allegedly Nintendo wanted normal sets, but Lego wanted technology, interactivity

I'm not saying you personally made it up but this sounds exactly like the sort of bs info that gets spread around any time a company make a choice that upsets a lot of fans, that X-party/ or individual wanted to do the things the fans wanted, blah blah blah. Nintendo want this line to succeed they wouldn't officially say anything that would get in the way of that.

Personally I actually quite like what we've seen so far, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have rather had traditional Lego sets.

Given how successful Minecraft has been for Lego just following the tried-and-true minifigure playset format like nearly every other playtheme, what's so different about the Mario IP that compelled Lego to try something experimental instead? :def_shrug:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 hour ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

This is coming from the same company that forced Nintendo to stop producing their own LEGO brick clone, "N&B Block," back in the 1970s.

nintendo_block_intro_02.JPG

Nintendo even referenced the N&B Block LEGO clone in a level of the Game Boy game Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.

Learn more about the Nintendo N&B Block here: http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/10/nintendo-n-block-introduction-1968-71.html

Edited by Justin

This certainly wasn't what I was expecting but I have to admit the interactive play does look like it can be pretty fun. Still I really hope we eventually see normal sets and minifigures make their way into the line.

The interactive play of Hidden side engaged my son for about three minutes. i can tell you he's not going to have any interest in this. I'd say maybe he's at the tail end of the age range (he's 11) but he's still way into Super Mario.

I still very much remember what I did and did not go for as a kid (at 7 to 10), and I really think this would have been an easy pass for my 7+ year old self.

53 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Given how successful Minecraft has been for Lego just following the tried-and-true minifigure playset format like nearly every other playtheme, what's so different about the Mario IP that compelled Lego to try something experimental instead? :def_shrug:

Well, Mario is a platformer, whereas Minecraft is just build & explore. Still not a valid excuse, seeing as how the adventure games are content-rich, but one nonetheless.

Hey, something just occurred to me. They said Mario was the only character with the technology, but . . what if some of the sets contain ‘empty shells’ for other characters like Luigi and Peach and Wario? So that you could take off the Mario parts and ‘reskin’ the device to look like other characters instead?

2 hours ago, Justin said:

This is coming from the same company that forced Nintendo to stop producing their own LEGO brick clone, "N&B Block," back in the 1970s.

Nintendo even referenced the N&B Block LEGO clone in a level of the Game Boy game Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.

Learn more about the Nintendo N&B Block here: http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/10/nintendo-n-block-introduction-1968-71.html

Nintendo actually won that lawsuit.  They stopped making N&B bricks later, for unrelated reasons.

Personally I'm also rather skeptical of the idea that Nintendo just wanted normal sets.  Until we get a quote, I'd assume it's a simple misunderstanding.  It was a 4 year collaboration, and Nintendo absolutely loves doing weird stuff.  Also kinds contradicts how other interviews have talked about the design process.  Also Nintendo has all the power here, if they really wanted minifig sets we would have gotten them.

Reading the actual interview, he says a few times, once specifically in regards to minifigures, that he can't give out information at this time. This reads at least to me as to one of two options.

There will be minifigures, but he can't say because they haven't been announced yet.

There won't be minifigures and he can't say because they don't want to upset the fans or something. 

Personally I'm inclined to believe the former as it really doesn't seem like we saw all 13 of those sets with the weird mario thing, if you look at set numbers some are pretty close to $.1 Price per part and some are REALLY far off, and I can't think of a good reason for why they wouldn't let people say minifigures aren't coming if they aren't.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

Reading the actual interview, he says a few times, once specifically in regards to minifigures, that he can't give out information at this time. This reads at least to me as to one of two options.

There will be minifigures, but he can't say because they haven't been announced yet.

There won't be minifigures and he can't say because they don't want to upset the fans or something. 

Personally I'm inclined to believe the former as it really doesn't seem like we saw all 13 of those sets with the weird mario thing, if you look at set numbers some are pretty close to $.1 Price per part and some are REALLY far off, and I can't think of a good reason for why they wouldn't let people say minifigures aren't coming if they aren't.

Yes and no. I'm guessing from the size of the layout, we've seen 5-6 sets put together, (Yoshi, Goomba, Bowser Jr., Piranha Plant, the purple disk, lava add-on), one of which is the main set with Mario.

The $10 sets are either more level packs, or simple character builds. $4 sets are going to be add-on content as well. It's clear from the interview that this theme is about interactivity. The theme is a game. No ifs ands or buts about it. Maybe later it'll be something more, but right now, this is it.

My breakdown of the set list:

71370-71373 (9.99): With so little parts, they're probably additional characters.

71360 (59.99): This has to be the set with Mario. Probably will only have him and the Goomba level section (as they're promoted together)

71361 (3.99): NOT-A-CMF Series. Most likely level add-ons.

71363-71367 (19.99; 29.99): More level packs. Yoshi, Bowser Jr. and Shy Guy have to be among these.

Now what confuses me are sets 71362 & 71369, given their reasonable price-to-part ratios. 71368 has to be another large level pack (Bowser?) given it's high ppr.

71362 ($50) & 71369 ($100) could be system-sets. But that's 2/13. So, don't get your hopes up.

9 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Yes and no. I'm guessing from the size of the layout, we've seen 5-6 sets put together, (Yoshi, Goomba, Bowser Jr., Piranha Plant, the purple disk, lava add-on), one of which is the main set with Mario.

The $10 sets are either more level packs, or simple character builds. $4 sets are going to be add-on content as well. It's clear from the interview that this theme is about interactivity. The theme is a game. No ifs ands or buts about it. Maybe later it'll be something more, but right now, this is it.

My breakdown of the set list:

71370-71373 (9.99): With so little parts, they're probably additional characters.

71360 (59.99): This has to be the set with Mario. Probably will only have him and the Goomba level section (as they're promoted together)

71361 (3.99): NOT-A-CMF Series. Most likely level add-ons.

71363-71367 (19.99; 29.99): More level packs. Yoshi, Bowser Jr. and Shy Guy have to be among these.

Now what confuses me are sets 71362 & 71369, given their reasonable price-to-part ratios. 71368 has to be another large level pack (Bowser?) given it's high ppr.

71362 ($50) & 71369 ($100) could be system-sets. But that's 2/13. So, don't get your hopes up.

Some good reasoning, but I think Mario would be in the $30 set 71366. Its part count is significantly lower than the equally priced 71365 & 71367. Additionally your count is off: 71360-71373 is 14 set numbers that we have information on. Early set numbers information for Leaf also listed 71374-71377.

Edited by gedren_y

I hope Mario is in the 59.99 set. That would seem pretty bad to put the whole gimmick of the series in one of the expensive sets.

The 29.99 one seems more feasible. Mario. Some terrain. And a Goomba. I'm expecting the electronics for Mario to make it more pricey as I really only see it being 4 pieces.

Hat. Body with head and his 2 buttons. (Maybe the arms can come off or have to be attached?)

I find it quite fitting that this collaboration between LEGO and Nintendo is game-based...

I can't imagine they'd make the thing that makes these sets function exclusive to a $60 set. That'd be suicide for the line. From what I've observed in my time roaming the Lego isles, parents usually say no to things above $30. I'm willing to bet either the $10 will have the playable characters. I mean, Mario might come with the $60 set, but the $10 sets have like 10-14 pieces. Mario consists of ten pieces, so if you include a plate or something, you have eleven. There are two eleven part sets, Luigi would probably have the same part count as Mario. I'm putting my money on Peach being the biggest of them, as she'd have her crown, earrings, and maybe a parasol considering the hands have clips in them, so at some point there has to be a bar accessory in this line. Toad is probably the ten piece set, as he's the simplest (no ears or buttons or anything like that).

6 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I hope Mario is in the 59.99 set. That would seem pretty bad to put the whole gimmick of the series in one of the expensive sets.

The 29.99 one seems more feasible. Mario. Some terrain. And a Goomba. I'm expecting the electronics for Mario to make it more pricey as I really only see it being 4 pieces.

Hat. Body with head and his 2 buttons. (Maybe the arms can come off or have to be attached?)

The arms appear to be the Minion arms with new hands. He's ten pieces (hat, body, two ears, two buttons, two arms, two hands).

I have a strong feeling, that people pick up things from the interview and skew their opinion towards their initial reaction on this entire theme. I've been positive about this all the time and the fact of collaboration with Nintendo and what can come out of this much more heavily outweighs my personal thoughts on the current theme being presented. And let's get this out of the way from the start - yes, as an AFOL I would prefer a simple system based Mario theme. However - if this is how it's going to start - let that be. I'm actually quite curious and would definitely buy some sets to try it out with my daughter.

Now, this is how I see the answers of the TLG designer, and I hope that some of you share the same feelings, if only at least for the sake of smoothing out a stream of negative reactions:

Would you say, at least the more expensive sets, are good display sets, as well?

Well, we will leave that up to our fantastic community like you guys to decide, but I can assure you, some very iconic sets are coming.

He obviously doesn't refer to the trailer video when he says about iconic sets. He doesn't say - hey - that was an iconic level from Mario 64 or something. He hints that something very recognizable and great is coming.

This leads on to the question: Do all sets have a digital component, or are there differences?

LEGO Super Mario is the only character that has technology inside, but all sets will feature the action-bricks that he can interact with.

Imagine this scenario - huge Super Mario figure can interact with other sets. Hidden Side can use AR feature. Does he say that big Mario is going to be in every set? I read it he is not in every set. Does this mean we don't have minifig in these sets? Who is going to buy a set with a number of bricks which is totally useless without that big Mario figure? I'm sure - if not minifigs, there is more to those sets individually than the stack of bricks that can be used only if another set (with big Mario) is purchased.

Do the sets contain new elements that were produced especially for the new theme? I already spotted the big green tube element, for example. Are there more?

There are many, many new elements for this line. The green tube, the Koopaling shields (on the back of Bowser Jr. for example), and most important: the new modular system with rounded corners. This was probably the second biggest challenge we faced: how can kids very easily change their levels, without rebuilding the entire thing from scratch! The modules (such as the rotator platform, Bowser Jr. tower and Piranha in Tube, are build on the 8×8, 6×6 or 4×4 rounded plates, under which a 2 wide plate can go underneath.

Isn't that exciting at all?

Will we see a Mario or Luigi minifgure in the future, as well?

Unfortunately I can’t answer this question at this point in time.

This is the most interesting question in the interview. Think about it this way. If this whole collaboration means that minifigures for Mario and Luigi are not coming, what's the point of hiding this now? Keeping that a secret? For me personally, it is tough to imagine a scenario, that TLG is holding these exciting news off and then decide to announce: Hey, we don't have the mifigures at all! What you've already seen in that trailer is pretty much what you get! So at that point in time, we just didn't want to spoil the fact that there are no minifigures what so ever.

And lastly:

We have been working very closely with a special design team from Nintendo for the past 4 years. 
Again, I can’t talk about any possible future products at this stage, but we do look forward to a continuous relationship with Nintendo!

A couple of pages again I made an assumption that this is a long story because Nintendo is not an easy licensing partner to team up with. Even if we don't see minifigures with this particular product line it doesn't mean we will never see them. I don't want to get anyone's hopes high, but trying to see all this at a different angle. And I will repeat myself here - these 2 companies working together for years wouldn't be possible if neither of them had planned something big coming out of this relationship.

This is one theme where I think it's really pointless to pass judgement until we see the entire line, since it could go so many ways. What they've presented so far looks pretty novel and cool to me, though obviously not what AFOLs would want by and large.

For now, I'm most worried about just one thing: what's that Mario figure going to look like when he's not turned on? Just blank white (or black) eyes? That'll be creepy as hell and really kill it for displaying.

6 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

what's that Mario figure going to look like when he's not turned on? Just blank white (or black) eyes? That'll be creepy as hell and really kill it for displaying.

Hahahaa perfect!