MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

37 minutes ago, MAB said:

Although it looks fun, how long is it fun for. To me, it looks like it will get boring quite quickly, and kids will just go back to playing proper video games after a few plays of this.

I tend to agree. The longevity and sustainability is clearly a case of TBD, but these days even kids having smart phones that aren'tĀ supposed to have them under a certain age I can't see this making too much of an impression except for the youngest ones. Other than that aside from a few of the special pieces there's likely not much here to gain for adult LEGO aficionados.

Mylenium

19 minutes ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Yeah; it looks very modular, like the old LEGO board games (especially Heroica). Just from that I see plenty of 'level packs' coming out with parts themed around ghost houses, airships, snow levels, desert levels, etc.

I think that's where I'm the most interested, is in the possibility to make one's own courses.Ā 

Looking over the video again, it does seem like each section with an activation tile for collecting coins or taking damage is on a round 6x6 tile that is two tiles in height, so you can connect them in any way you see fit, which makes me think the sets can all be combined together.

It seems when Mario passes over the tiles, it registers with the Mario figure and tracks whatever it is you're doing, which I think is neat.Ā 

The video also states "multiple sets shown", so what's being presented is what we can expect from this theme.

Edited by Kintobor

Still holding out hope we might get some system sets, alternatively if the theme does well and gets more waves they could switch over like Minecraft did. Personally I find it bizarre that Lego and Nintendo would team up after all these years, but then the Mario figure ends up looking neither like Lego or what he looks like in the games at all. Not to mention some of the brick-built characters look more like stand-ins that would be made for an Ideas project or something.

Just now, gedren_y said:

The build in the video looks like it might be several sets put together.

Well, the small text at the bottom explicitly says so.

The more I look at this, the more I realize that most of this looks really good... except for Mario. Seriously, all the other builds and characters look great, but rectangular mario is the one aspect that I'm not liking that much. With this scale, maybe you could make a better brick built one?

What I'm curious about is which sets will the Mario figure be included in? He can't be in all of them, he looks to expensive and sophisticated to include in all of them.Ā 

At the very least it looks like there's some interesting arm and leg parts for the other brick-built characters. Some of those look quite useful for building other stuff.Ā 

Just now, Kintobor said:

What I'm curious about is which sets will the Mario figure be included in? He can't be in all of them, he looks to expensive and sophisticated to include in all of them.Ā 

There's a set with a small piece count (like 250) for $60. That should probably be the set is he included in.

7 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

It's a unconfirmed rumor, since TT Games have been weirdly silent lately, even with the new Star Wars game.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

My enthusiasm is kinda lowered, with these new reveals.
I love the board game-effect and it will definitely be a lot of fun for kids, but I'm not a fan of the way the characters look. I really would have preferred actual minifigures.
Oh well, 'money saved', as many say.

Regards,
Mitch

There's also a lot of great snapshots from the video on the legoleaks instagram page. I think judging by the different colours of the plates you can separate the sets. Looking at this picture for example I think the red section is one set with Baby Bowser, the blue section is an underwater level and the core set with Mario will just be a simple setup with the pipe, flag and Goomba

mario.JPG

I was really excited when I heard that weā€™re getting super Mario sets and I couldnā€™t wait to see the figures and then IĀ saw what it all looks like and now I donā€™t care. Big disappointment, great for kids I suppose but doesnā€™t interest me

Every figure but Mario looks pretty cool. Not gonna be a buy for me unless we get some minifigure-sized stuff, but I'm curious to see where this partnership leads.

On another note, now that we have these LED screens and scanners in sets, I'm hopeful we'll eventually get official LEGO lights some time in the next few years. LEGO only puts out parts that they can deem are safe (yes, the bricks are choking hazards, but still).

5 minutes ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

Guys, It's really fun and all, but here's the most important question of all time..

Ā  Hide contents

Where's Luigi?

Ā 

Stuck in Italy with the corona virusĀ :iamded_lol:

They made sonic perfect, I only hope they can do a series of Nintendo figs in the same manner. That's what I was expecting/hoping for, and what I would for sure buy.Ā 

I may get Mario just so I can see him do his different expressions etc... But I doubt I'll be looking to get all the sets.Ā 

Atleast the shy guy "minifigure" looks cool ? I'm curious what the $100 set will look like seeing as how these aren't traditional sets

I don't understand why so many people are still excited for this line. Those figures don't even reallyĀ look like LEGO, andĀ this whole gimmick will probably be tied to some app game or something (the Mario figure seemed to have a Bluetooth button or something similar on it's back) which will make the figure completely useless as soon as the game or whatever it's tied to gets retired.

To be honest, I don't think this was a good decision by LEGO in the long term.Ā Instead of just making some traditional sets like everyone wanted, they decided to pursue this corny innovation which I highly doubt will pay off. And let's not forget, corny innovations is what almost bankrupted them in the early 2000's and that happening again isn't unlikely.Ā 

Edited by Lego David

Surely notĀ allĀ of the sets are likeĀ thisĀ right? Right!?! *sigh* At least there's a cmf series... While it's an interesting and innovative idea, it just isn't at all what most people wanted and the fact that none of it is minifig scale or includes actual minifigs is really disappointing. Definitely an easy pass for me, which I guess is good as it saves me money.

Edit: Never mind, apparently there's no cmf series. Seriously, what the heck LEGO!? I guess the whole theme is a wash then. I can't wait to see j2g have a complete meltdown over these sets.

Edited by ToaDraco

10 minutes ago, Lego David said:

To be honest, I don't think this was a good decision by LEGO in the long term.Ā Instead of just making some traditional sets like everyone wanted, they decided to pursue this corny innovation which I highly doubt will pay off. And let's not forget, corny innovations is what almost bankrupted them in the early 2000's and that happening again isn't unlikely.Ā 

Well, LEGO is still succeeding right now, and even then, itā€™s only one theme, unlike in the 2000ā€™s where most themes were like that. If this fails miserably, itā€™s ok because itā€™s only one theme. Iā€™m sure LEGO can recover from that.
Also, I donā€™t think theĀ Mario needs an app to work. Itā€™s size looks to be big enough to fit everything it needs inside.Ā Besides, the sets arenā€™t useless without it, you still have Mario, and all the enemies, and the play features. Yes, the looks of the figure were sacrificed for this, and Iā€™m not sure quite how I like it yet, but I hope it works out well, and I could see this being successful.

Wow, this is the most un-Lego thing that Lego has done in a long time. Ā While the builds range from not great (the goombas) to pretty alright (Bowser Jr.), that Mario figureĀ reminds me a bit too much of Galidor. Ā This time yesterday, I was under the impression that Nintendo could be an evergreen themeĀ to the likes of Star Wars or at least an annual theme like Harry Potter.Ā  NowĀ Iā€™m worried that weā€™ll never get minifigures. Ā If all Lego has planned for Nintendo is electric non minifigure scale board games, I doubt weā€™ll get more that a single wave.

Ā 

Hopefully itā€™s not too late to save this theme.

Even if a couple minifigure obsessed AFOLs don't like it or increase their Lego purchases I'd wager a lot of people who don't regularly buy Lego will be all over these just because of the Nintendo/Super Mario love. Nintendo fans buy some really weird and oftentimes useless memorabilia but this is actually on the cooler side for Nintendo merchandise.

Its like a lot of the Ideas sets; they don't always appeal to die hard Lego fans who are regularly purchasers anyway, but rather bring in a lot of those who aren't.

3 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Even if a couple minifigure obsessed AFOLs don't like it or increase their Lego purchases I'd wager a lot of people who don't regularly buy Lego will be all over these just because of the Nintendo/Super Mario love. Nintendo fans buy some really weird and oftentimes useless memorabilia but this is actually on the cooler side for Nintendo merchandise.

Its like a lot of the Ideas sets; they don't always appeal to die hard Lego fans who are regularly purchasers anyway, but rather bring in a lot of those who aren't.

We also have to remember that the Japanese market is huge for Nintendo, and usually eats stuff like this up.Ā  Not sure how LEGO usually does there, but there's potential to really appeal to a brand new market here.