MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

There still is a rumored CMF series, so I think those who want minifigures are still pretty safe.

I'm honestly pretty interested. This is a really unique direction for Lego, and to echo Neko above, Nintendo always likes to try the weird things. I doubt I'll follow this line religiously, but I'll probably pick up one or two just to see what's what.

Just now, The Brick King said:

There still is a rumored CMF series, so I think those who want minifigures are still pretty safe.

I'm honestly pretty interested. This is a really unique direction for Lego, and to echo Neko above, Nintendo always likes to try the weird things. I doubt I'll follow this line religiously, but I'll probably pick up one or two just to see what's what.

I thought the CMF series was now thought to be Marvel?

To those talking about a CMF... The leak said blind bags. A CMF series was never mentioned, and it will most likely be booster packs ala Nexo Knights. As much as I would love a minifigure series, I wouldn't be so sure it is happening.

1 minute ago, The Brick King said:

There is no CMF. There are 4€ blindbags under set number 71361 that have 23 pieces. They are similar to Nexo Knights shield power-ups.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

There is no CMF. There are 4€ blindbags under set number 71361 that have 23 pieces. They are similar to Nexo Knights shield power-ups.

I’d assume now that those would be a Goomba / Bob-omb / Bullet Bill, etc. to build in every bag, with the interactive top-tile.

Maybe the bind bags are additional brick-built enemies like the Shy Guy, Gumba and Blooper? Or power-ups? The part count would certainly check out :classic:

Edit: Ninja‘d :snicker:

Edited by Lego-Freak

I mean I am not a fan of the set builds being a game board style, but this is certainly not a bad move. I am a tad deflated that it is generic Super Mario and not specific games, but oh well. Either way the brick builds the actual character builds of non human characters are nice, except goombas which look off. I am hyped about Shy Guy though.

I also am thinking that the $10 sets will be these reader figures, as there are four, which is the perfect amount for Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad. Blind bags will probably be mini builds for blocks with different QR printed plates as a power-up pack. So stuff like Fire Flowers, Stars, Coins, etc.

This is entirely baseless, but I think this will perform well. They are gimmicky, but good gimmicks, having that Nintendo feel.

I actually could also see this system converted over to Zelda with a modular dungeon gimmick too in the future.

.... I just... I'm so conflicted... 10 year old me would have loved this... But I'm not 10 anymore and my interest is in minifig sized stuff without gimmicks. As great, innovative and unique as it is, I applaud them for going outside the norm on this, I'm sure it'll be a hit with their target audience (kids). But for me.... I'm just so.... 

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed... :head_back:

I actually kind of love this. I had guessed we'd be getting a board game type play feature after seeing that figure, so this lives up to exactly what I was expecting.

I want minifigures sure, but I can't hate this since it actually ties in the game element of the Mario franchise in a way that makes sense as a toy. And I like Yoshi so much I can forgive the lack of minifigures.

And I'm guessing if these sell well the theme will branch out to include other things, so we'll likely get minifigures at some point anyway.

Edited by strangely

Still , parts count and prices vary a lot between the sets, so maybe part of the sets are this game style and some other sets are more minifig focused.

Of course, including large parts or an electronic bowser or something would drive up the price/part ratios for sets like the €60 set with 231 pieces (pure speculation)

But there is also a 1010 part set for €100 

Edited by TeriXeri

Now I really do wonder what the 1000 piece set will be. What would a set that size look in this system? I’m very curious indeed.

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Still , parts count and prices vary a lot between the sets, so maybe part of the sets are this game style and some other sets are more minifig focused.

Ehh, maybe, that could explain the sheer quantity of sets, but who knows. I’m sure we’ll get minifigs eventually.

Yuck... I hope we get some normal sets too, or I'm probably going to have to pass on this theme entirely.

36 minutes ago, nintendude64 said:

To those talking about a CMF... The leak said blind bags. A CMF series was never mentioned, and it will most likely be booster packs ala Nexo Knights. As much as I would love a minifigure series, I wouldn't be so sure it is happening.

Maybe not this year, but can you be sure about 2021 or 2022?

This is an incredibly Nintendo thing to release. I'm kind of enamored by it's brazen weirdness, in all honesty. I'm more curious about the actual behind the scenes negotiations between the two companies now than anything else. :laugh: How did this weird little concept come to fruition? It also sounds like Charles Martinet, the guy who has been voicing Mario for almost three decades has done some voice lines for this, which is neat!

I think the tech looks really cool. I have no idea how it's done, but it looks like there's room for customization in being able to make your own "levels", which I think is neat. Is it exactly what I wanted? No, but this still looks really cute. :thumbup:

Seems that the set in the video comes with a toad house, a koopa troopa, a monty mole, a shyguy, a blooper, a goomba, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, and Mario. 

2 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Now I really do wonder what the 1000 piece set will be. What would a set that size look in this system? I’m very curious indeed.

Still calling it as Bowser's Castle, but picturing it in this scale is... honestly kind of endearing. :wub:

8 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

At this point I'm going to assume no minifigs until we see them, but that would be nice

This is an interesting and novel concept, but I'm not sure what I think about it or how it will be received. It feels like this set is going after kids who might not already be into LEGO, but enjoy games and Mario. So it will be interesting to see how it does. I'm not sure how I feel about the style of Mario. It seem just seems far off from most of the recent versions of Mario. Blocky and more like a Duplo figure

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

This is super weird... I don't know how I feel about this line being so gimmicky.... *huh*

For those who were excited about this line, you'd better keep your hopes down. From what this video showed us, those aren't going to be traditional LEGO sets. :wacko:

1 hour ago, InnerRayg said:

Where's the Pikachu shocked face meme for people who are shocked the figure looks like the preview and not a regular minifig.

58 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Well, that looks terrible for AFOLs but fun for kids. My wallet is safe.

1 hour ago, KevinMD said:

I can see my son wanting this. He has bad taste though. 

This one is the best! :laugh:

Just now, BigGuy4U said:

Yuck... I hope we get some normal sets too, or I'm probably going to have to pass on this theme entirely.

This is golden. I'm not here to rain on any parades though, I'm just here to say that I knew this was coming. Lego has gone crazy, but sometimes crazy works.:wink: This is why you don't discount skepticism, it helps keep expectations realistic. I hate to say it, but I can almost see the clearance tags already. They would've been better off making this a traditional theme. Lego's board games and gimmick themes never got far in the past, and sadly, I don't think Mario's brand recognition can save this. Hopefully I'm wrong, and someone finds joy in this, but, I forsee many more disappointed at release.

Although it looks fun, how long is it fun for. To me, it looks like it will get boring quite quickly, and kids will just go back to playing proper video games after a few plays of this.

One thing though: what are the eyes and mouth going to look line when the Mario figure is turned off? Plain white? That‘d be quite unsettling :laugh:

34 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

It's certainly possible.  It would definitely explain the part count differences, I can't imagine a 1000 piece set like this would be priced at 100 euro with all the giant pieces and such.  On the other hand, we already see at least 9 new molds in the video and I'm not sure they could justify another round of new molds for minifigure sets.  Really could go either way at this point, though I'm sure we'll eventually see "regular" sets regardless.

That being said, I do really love what we see!  Definitely more of a playset than anything, but that is LEGO's target market and the "figures" we see are very cute.

8 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

This is golden. I'm not here to rain on any parades though, I'm just here to say that I knew this was coming. Lego has gone crazy, but sometimes crazy works.:wink: This is why you don't discount skepticism, it helps keep expectations realistic. I hate to say it, but I can almost see the clearance tags already. They would've been better off making this a traditional theme. Lego's board games and gimmick themes never got far in the past, and sadly, I don't think Mario's brand recognition can save this. Hopefully I'm wrong, and someone finds joy in this, but, I forsee many more disappointed at release.

Defeatism =/= skepticism.  Skepticism would be keeping expectations low and not getting excited until we know everything (as most have been doing, given the initial preview), not declaring the theme dead on arrival and stating beyond a shadow of a doubt that there's no way it can succeed.  We still don't know everything, and it's still incredibly possible that this will be successful even if all of the sets are exclusively this board game-style.  The response on social media so far actually seems to be pretty positive, surprisingly.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Although it looks fun, how long is it fun for. To me, it looks like it will get boring quite quickly, and kids will just go back to playing proper video games after a few plays of this.

One of the reasons that "video games with real toys" doesn't work. It's been done with Angry Birds (not in Lego, but still), and most people would rather play actual Angry Birds than mess with toys. I see Mario being no different. Kids are bored easily nowadays. Gone are the days of actually playing with your toys, now it's video games. Whether that's bad or good is debatable, but what isn't is how that inevitably affects a very physical toy like Lego. People always say that Lego's target audience is children, but how many of us (myself included) actually know what children want? Sometimes they don't even know what they want. :wacko:

Just now, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Defeatism =/= skepticism.  Skepticism would be keeping expectations low and not getting excited until we know everything (as most have been doing, given the initial preview), not declaring the theme dead on arrival and stating beyond a shadow of a doubt that there's no way it can succeed.  We still don't know everything, and it's still incredibly possible that this will be successful even if all of the sets are exclusively this board game-style.

I might be defeatist, but I am stating my conclusion given prior evidence. Themes like this have come and gone in the past (like Lego's board games), cool ideas that don't stick around, because they overestimated their target demographic. All that makes this different is brand recognition. Unfortunately, that only goes so far. So, keep your hopes up, maybe enough people will buy it that it stays afloat. I know what I see in stores around me.

That said, how far can these sets go? Will all the steam die out in a year? Or can such a system last for the long haul? If Lego's going this far out of the box, there has to be a plan.

Hmm these are very..... unique

I guess that if these perform well, we might get more and even regular system sets

17 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I might be defeatist, but I am stating my conclusion given prior evidence. Themes like this have come and gone in the past (like Lego's board games), cool ideas that don't stick around, because they overestimated their target demographic. All that makes this different is brand recognition. Unfortunately, that only goes so far. So, keep your hopes up, maybe enough people will buy it that it stays afloat. I know what I see in stores around me.

That said, how far can these sets go? Will all the steam die out in a year? Or can such a system last for the long haul? If Lego's going this far out of the box, there has to be a plan.

I'm certainly not saying this concept will stick around.  There's definitely only so far it can go, Nintendo themselves have seen this with 2D Mario.  While both concepts are fantastic, eventually people get bored of the same levels with new skins.  There's certainly a chance that LEGO will release a set or two using this concept every once in a while, but a full wave even once a year doesn't seem feasible.

What I am saying is that skepticism is absolutely warranted, but there's a huge difference between skepticism and defeatism. And that it's way too early for stating conclusions.  I don't think it can be understated how huge of a deal this partnership is, regardless of what the sets end up looking like.  The response I've seen elsewhere has been pretty positive, but Nintendo knows better than anyone that gimmicks wear off fast.  As you said, there has to be a plan here, especially if they're going this far out of the box.  And especially given LEGO's partnership with one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world is on the line (and vice versa, Nintendo has been trying to make building block sets work for over half a century now and I think they'd be very careful that they don't screw it up).

That being said, we should also wait to see what this wave has in store for us before drawing conclusions.  Given what we know of the rest of them, there does seem like there could be more to the picture than what we got in this preview.  And LEGO/Nintendo are still refusing to give out any real details beyond what we saw.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

34 minutes ago, MAB said:

Apparently, these video game toys will also include some sort of construction element as well. My understanding is that these seem to be comprised of some sort of “bricks” which can be connected and disconnected from one another, apparently in a great variety of ways.

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

Apparently, these video game toys will also include some sort of construction element as well. My understanding is that these seem to be comprised of some sort of “bricks” which can be connected and disconnected from one another, apparently in a great variety of ways.

Yeah; it looks very modular, like the old LEGO board games (especially Heroica). Just from that I see plenty of 'level packs' coming out with parts themed around ghost houses, airships, snow levels, desert levels, etc.