MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

The thing is, Monkey Kid has entered production which we can tell by the leaked figures. If the production was halted (say, because of Cov-19) and Mario got pushed up to replace it, they must‘ve put the theme into production within mere weeks. That doesn‘t seem realistic to me since I can‘t see them shifting gears this suddenly, especially with a third party involved :wink: 

Monkey Kid also recently ran into Trademark issues in the US :

https://www.trademarkia.com/company-lego-juris-as-719033-page-1-2

Status Update! On Monday, February 24, 2020, status on the MONKEY KID trademark changed to NON-FINAL OFFICE ACTION ISSUED - CLARIFICATION NEEDED.

Status/Status Date:
NON-FINAL OFFICE ACTION ISSUED - CLARIFICATION NEEDED
2/24/2020
Estimated Response Deadline: 8/24/2020
Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It just seems too big for a debuting licensed theme though, and more what you'd expect from the launch of an in-house "big bang" theme... :def_shrug:

I was thinking this too, maybe they’ve don’t their research? Mario is one highest grossing video game franchises ever so this seems a much safer bet than Overwatch.

It's nice to get some part counts!  Looks like a pretty similar mark-up to recent Star Wars sets, the obvious anomalies being 71360 and 71366.  Perhaps those sets will feature big molds, or maybe one of them is related to the electronic figures?  This does pretty safely cement the 10 euro sets as being the big electronic figures though, which also probably means it's safe to say we'll get regular minifigures in the rest of the sets.

I'm mostly just interested in seeing what LEGO does.  A lot of the stuff in Mario doesn't translate super well to LEGO just due to its cartoony nature.  It will be really interesting to see how they do things like Goombas or Koopa Troopas or Bowser, or even just the figures in general.  I can definitely see this being a mold-heavy theme.

Was August 1st 2020 release date mentioned? That's pretty fast for a newly revealed theme.

I'm not a Mario fan, but I'm really excited for these sets, as I think they will be innovative and colourful.

18 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Monkey Kid also recently ran into Trademark issues in the US :

https://www.trademarkia.com/company-lego-juris-as-719033-page-1-2

Status Update! On Monday, February 24, 2020, status on the MONKEY KID trademark changed to NON-FINAL OFFICE ACTION ISSUED - CLARIFICATION NEEDED.

Status/Status Date:
NON-FINAL OFFICE ACTION ISSUED - CLARIFICATION NEEDED
2/24/2020
Estimated Response Deadline: 8/24/2020

I skimmed the office action. It doesn't look like there were any issues with the mark itself, but multiple issue with the documentation. Essentially the got sent back a list of things they need to fix, clarify, and add

INTRODUCTION

The referenced application has been reviewed by the assigned trademark examining attorney.  Applicant must respond timely and completely to the issues below.

SEARCH OF USPTO DATABASE OF MARKS

The trademark examining attorney searched the USPTO database of registered and pending marks and found no conflicting marks that would bar registration under Trademark Act Section 2(d).  15 U.S.C. §1052(d); TMEP §704.02.

SUMMARY OF ISSUES:

Identification of Goods and Services
Disclaimer Required
Description of Mark Required
Foreign Registration Certificate Required

Just now, DentedFrood said:

I skimmed the office action. It doesn't look like there were any issues with the mark itself, but multiple issue with the documentation. Essentially the got sent back a list of things they need to fix, clarify, and add

Ok, I didn't really mean big "issues" as it had already been accepted in the EU, more like a possible explanation for some form of delay.

But beside that, Super Mario is going to be the summer 2020 theme anyway, I still think Monkey Kid will come, but sometime later.

Edited by TeriXeri

Wow this is cool!

I spent so much time playing Super Mario on my GameBoy in the 90s and Mario Kart on the Wii in the 2000s!! Hoping for some nice sets and mini figs!

4 minutes ago, jpx said:

Wow this is cool!

I spent so much time playing Super Mario on my GameBoy in the 90s and Mario Kart on the Wii in the 2000s!! Hoping for some nice sets and mini figs!

Same here, played a lot of the games, all the way back from Commodore 64 to Game Boy, to NES/SNES/N64, to Wii, and spin offs like  Dr. Mario, Mario RPG, Mario Party, Mario Kart in multiple games.

I haven't played a lot of the later ones (3DS/WII U), but the basics of games like Mario Run and Mario Maker certainly still hold the same "classic" Mario platform style.

Mario Land 2 being among my favorites for sure, that was ahead of it's time imo back in 1993, years later, still played it on the Gameboy Color and GBA SP.

Also later played the original Super Mario Bros. on the GBA SP.

Edited by TeriXeri

27 minutes ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

It's nice to get some part counts!  Looks like a pretty similar mark-up to recent Star Wars sets, the obvious anomalies being 71360 and 71366.  Perhaps those sets will feature big molds, or maybe one of them is related to the electronic figures?  This does pretty safely cement the 10 euro sets as being the big electronic figures though, which also probably means it's safe to say we'll get regular minifigures in the rest of the sets.

I'm mostly just interested in seeing what LEGO does.  A lot of the stuff in Mario doesn't translate super well to LEGO just due to its cartoony nature.  It will be really interesting to see how they do things like Goombas or Koopa Troopas or Bowser, or even just the figures in general.  I can definitely see this being a mold-heavy theme.

I quote myself.

18 hours ago, gedren_y said:

For those wondering how they might do Bowser, consider the Leatherhead fig from TMNT. Most classic depictions of Bowser having him squatting rather than standing anyway. Donky Kong works at that scale too. Diddy Kong could be done like Monkey King, maybe with the short moving legs. Most of the Koopas could be done like the Ninja Turtles. Gombas can be pretty much brick built. New head molds for sure.

This also puts some of the CMF costumes in a new light. Particularly this one.

I spent so much time on the games: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Dr. Mario, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and plenty of ROM hack emulators (before Nintendo sued the website). I can see this license lasting years, similar to Minecraft.

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The thing is, Monkey Kid has entered production which we can tell by the leaked figures. If the production was halted (say, because of Cov-19) and Mario got pushed up to replace it, they must‘ve put the theme into production within mere weeks. That doesn‘t seem realistic to me since I can‘t see them shifting gears this suddenly, especially with a third party involved :wink: 

It really depends on how many new molds they would have to produce for the lines and if you delay an entire big bang theme then you probably have production capacity for a smaller there. Also you don't want to launch your major new China focused theme when China is under lockdown and the factories there likely aren't operational. 

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Ok, I didn't really mean big "issues" as it had already been accepted in the EU, more like a possible explanation for some form of delay.

But beside that, Super Mario is going to be the summer 2020 theme anyway, I still think Monkey Kid will come, but sometime later.

I was just curious what issues there might be. I think they can move forward without having it finalized. It's not uncommon to see companies request trademarks long after a product or brand has been on the market

Just now, DentedFrood said:

I was just curious what issues there might be. I think they can move forward without having it finalized. It's not uncommon to see companies request trademarks long after a product or brand has been on the market

True, maybe I over-analyzed things a bit much. 

And you're right, LEGO City has been right there on that same page, and that has been on the market for 15 years now, and only just now filed for the Trademark for the City logo. (possibly to stop clone brands from using it)

Edited by TeriXeri

Alright, from what I've seen:

• The Mario Figure has small LCD screens, similar to a Mindstorms box but in color, and it's too small to be a Switch dock from what some people are speculating.
  • The figure looks to be 5 studs wide, and there's a button on the bottom, possibly the LEGO logo that you can press to change what happens on the screens?
  • 2 1x1 round titles, both in yellow and peach, are on the figure, meaning you can build stuff on Mario. (Anyone wanna give him earrings? :laugh:)
  • Figure's hands looks like he can hold stuff. Maybe power-ups are included in the set, and that's what the blind bags are?
  • There's two 1x2 brown bricks with a jumper plate, along with a printed brick on top of a 2x2 round plate with a tile, all on a 2x6 brown plate.
  • EDIT: Also found that Mario's eyes are doing the > < expression.
Edited by LuigiBobLegoPants

I’m cautiously optimistic here. I’m ecstatic to be seeing Mario & definitely hope it leads to more from Nintendo. I’d love to see Mario Kart. I’d also like to see an 8-bit Mario set like I’ve seen people build on their own. I know this probably wouldn’t be popular, as a lot of folks here don’t care too much about them, but I’d love to see all the costumes Mario has from the third game. And a buildable Yoshi like the Porg would be amazing. 

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Was August 1st 2020 release date mentioned? That's pretty fast for a newly revealed theme.

I'm not a Mario fan, but I'm really excited for these sets, as I think they will be innovative and colourful.

Zusammengebaut I believe noticed that that was the release date on Amazon 

Just now, Megbricks said:

Zusammengebaut I believe noticed that that was the release date on Amazon 

I meant if it was mentioned here. Amazon.uk has this release date so it's real.

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’m cautiously optimistic here. I’m ecstatic to be seeing Mario & definitely hope it leads to more from Nintendo. I’d love to see Mario Kart. I’d also like to see an 8-bit Mario set like I’ve seen people build on their own. I know this probably wouldn’t be popular, as a lot of folks here don’t care too much about them, but I’d love to see all the costumes Mario has from the third game. And a buildable Yoshi like the Porg would be amazing. 

Mario cart is the first thing that poped into my head! This brings back so many child hood memories!

Cant wait to see What the sets look like! 

10 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

Alright, from what I've seen:

• The Mario Figure has small LCD screens, similar to a Mindstorms box but in color, and it's too small to be a Switch dock from what some people are speculating.
  • The figure looks to be 5 studs wide, and there's a button on the bottom, possibly the LEGO logo that you can press to change what happens on the screens?
  • 2 1x1 round titles, both in yellow and peach, are on the figure, meaning you can build stuff on Mario. (Anyone wanna give him earrings? :laugh:)
  • Figure's hands looks like he can hold stuff. Maybe power-ups are included in the set, and that's what the blind bags are?
  • There's two 1x2 brown bricks with a jumper plate, along with a printed brick on top of a 2x2 round plate with a tile, all on a 2x6 brown plate.
  • EDIT: Also found that Mario's eyes are doing the > < expression.

That isn't the main figure

This should be interesting.  Can't wait to see the sets.  We could get some wonderful figs out of this.  So many things they could do with this theme.  I need an army of koopa's.  

With 13 sets at launch I hope they are based on a variety of games. A dream set would be one inspired off of Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA). I would love figures for Shy Guys and Wart

Here is my speculation on this. So as usual, take it with a grain of salt. Nintendo is one of the most bureaucratic companies in the videogames industry. Singing up with them and being able to use their IP (and not just any IP, but their biggest and most valuable IP) is a very very big deal for any company and most likely took more than a year to develop, so my hat goes off to TLG for making this work. This is why I didn't believe at first that it would be sets - I thought they are announcing a Lego Mario videogame. Now that I learned it's not the case - and there will be sets + videogame, I do not, therefore, believe that this is a one-off come-and-go Lego theme. My guess is that it is the start of a long relationship. Especially if it will have somehow digitally connected to Nintendo Switch - Nintendo would not invest their time and effort and connect their most valuable franchise to something they don't have big plans for. And I don't think that it was rushed to replace some in-house theme like Monkey Kid or anything else that was dubbed as Leaf - this is not how it works with Nintendo at all. It was kept a good secret, unveiled on the right day and it will come out on the day it was originally planned to come out.

Regarding the new IPs, like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Splatoon and others - I guess it all depends on how Mario performs, but I very much hope that it does very well. The franchise itself is a gold mine of ideas that can be turned into sets. Odyssey alone with its vast diversity of worlds (from the magical underwater kingdoms to the moon, from real-world NY-like city with humans walking along with cartoon characters to dinosaurs) - all this can supply ideas for many years to come. And unlike, for example, Star Wars where the designers have to follow specific guidelines on the ships and make everything close to how it looks in the movies - for Mario - they can really unleash their creativity and come up with fantastic and colorful sets. Lego and Mario are so close in their tone, target audience, and light-heartedness that they just scream to be together.

4 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

That isn't the main figure

I know that, I was talking about the one on the teaser. I know they're gonna be regular Minifig-scale sets.

Anyways, maybe we can get BrickHeadz for this theme? I thinking Mario, Luigi, Peach (with Toad.), and Bowser.