MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Everyone on Instagram is saying “CMF!” “CMF!” but probably be disappointed when the reveals hit. That’s the problem with leaks.

It'll be interesting to see how big the budget of the theme is if it just sets as then they probably won't be able to afford enough new moulds for all the non-humanoid characters, which are what I'm most looking forward to seeing. It would be great if we got some army-builder sets of Goombas and Koopa Troopas, similar as to how there were an army of pigs in the Angry Birds series. If the smaller sets were expansion-style sets with additional power-ups and accessories they could come with non-minifigure characters as well like Goombas or Bombas with extra brick bits to expand on sets. 

Considering the size of the "Mario Bricks" at 2 studs wide I think it's safe to say we'll get somewhat normal minifigures when it comes to the size of things. I thought I had finally stopped buying LEGO (long story, not a great LEGO time in my life right now lol)... but they suck me back in...

Was pondering possibilities and realised that it probably wouldn’t take too many red girder pieces to be rolling little barrels down the first screen of Donkey Kong, would it? Chuck in a ‘brown Mjolnir’...

(And I know it’s not a Zelda thread but I also realised that I’d fight in a gutter to get the train from Spirit Tracks in Lego form. Cartoon proportioned medieval train with a huge cannon? That’s not been done before but it’s very Lego.)

You know i dont think its ganna be sets i think it could be a lego/Nintendo game and all these sets are like lego dimensions 

how much was the dimensions starter pack when it came out ??? 

the guys at TT games have been very quiet lately and they only have the star wars game coming out anytime soon and thats gone quiet 

*SPECULATION*

That Electronic Mario is the first revealed set, everything you see including the bricks is the entire set. These Gimmicks sets are 10-13 pieces. The electronic Mario, 2 yellow circular 1x1's, 2 flesh circular 1x1's (ears), 2 masonry bricks, 2 1x2 jumper plates, question box, tile on top, presumably 2x6 plate holding it all.

I also think sets ending in 64, 66 and 68 are Junior sets. Unless at least 1 of them contains a big mould :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Anonknee Muss

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

True, both of these were revealed by LEGO themselves, with a major difference though: the announcement was made last Spring: 

https://brickset.com/article/43682/trolls-world-tour-sets-possibly-coming-in-2020!

New licenses are almost always publicly announced the year before the theme hits shelves: POTC was revealed at SDCC 2010, DC and Marvel at SDCC 2011, LOTR was announced in late 2011 and so on. The Mario theme truly is an anomaly in that regard :grin:

My hunch currently is that Super Mario was originally slated for 2021, but was pushed-up to fill the void left by a possible delaying of the in-house "Monkey Kid" theme perhaps due to the ongoing 2019-nCoV outbreak, hence why @StoneWarsDE is claiming that "Leaf" will end-up being the Super Mario theme instead.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I'm a little 50/50 on this as well. This could end up being an awesome theme if they do the license justice but if they don't this could end up being really, really bad. I'll be cautiously excited

20 hours ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

I'd still like to think that the price hike is because DC; I'll wait for concrete news before losing my hope.

It's not, the US price for Series 20 is already confirmed to be $5. 

Also, it looks like a lot of people are forgetting the EU price is still 4 euro, so the price itself doesn't rule out a CMF

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Also, it looks like a lot of people are forgetting the EU price is still 4 euro, so the price itself doesn't rule out a CMF

Well, the piece count on stonewars (that come from Amazon) shows that the bling bag piece count is 23, too many for a cmf. I feel like we are all hyping this up too much, we’re probably getting a power up blind bag, but no cmf.

Most of you probably saw already but zusammengebaut updated their post and from what I understand we have an underwater level. That is interesting. Also the numbers used on amazon are the same as ´leaf’ apparently so that gets settled. 

i still believe we are getting monkey kid at one point. Maybe we just assumed too fast that it was related to these numbers. 

one thing I am wondering is why they would use the monkey kid numbers. They probably were super Mario set number from the beginning. We in the past saw set numbers beeing leaked and nothing ever came out of it. So I don’t believe they would replace the sets for a certain set number if that makes any sens. 

i am very excited for this. Hoping it could turn out as a regular theme (don’t bash me about it: I just said I wish it could be. I am entitled to three wishes) :). 

concerning the one-off themes, i personnally don’t mind them. I love new licenses. Even if they have only 5 sets. They bring new recolors/ prints/moulds and this is what I look for in lego. 

if we do indeed get ´levels’ I am curious to  see how they will handle the ’floating blocks’. Maybe some kind of brick build background bushes to hold the blocks in place?

cant wait for August !

Just now, Anonknee Muss said:

I think Mario was always intended to be “Leaf” and the leakers attributed the wrong theme to the codename.

It just seems too big for a debuting licensed theme though, and more what you'd expect from the launch of an in-house "big bang" theme... :def_shrug:

Just now, Anonknee Muss said:

I think Mario was always intended to be “Leaf” and the leakers attributed the wrong theme to the codename.

I think so too

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

It just seems too big for a debuting licensed theme though, and more what you'd expect from the launch of an in-house "big bang" theme... :def_shrug:

Yeah it is unusual indeed... maybe because this license seemed to them like something big. And they had the same reasoning as we are having here : it’s has to be bold and exciting and we can’t mess it up so let’s go all in with a fantastic 1st wave. :)

The leak that LEAF has an augmented reality component now makes perfect sense. The Nintendo Switch has cameras. Could the Mario we've seen be intended to work with it?

Just now, gedren_y said:

The leak that LEAF has an augmented reality component now makes perfect sense. The Nintendo Switch has cameras. Could the Mario we've seen be intended to work with it?

It does??? Boy I have one and never noticed Hahahaha. Maybe it could. I remember that there was a rumour back when dimensions existed that there was a scan the minifig feature beeing worked on for the 3rd that never came. Maybe they are reusing this idea? Who knows...

47 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

My hunch currently is that Super Mario was originally slated for 2021, but was pushed-up to fill the void left by a possible delaying of the in-house "Monkey Kid" theme perhaps due to the ongoing 2019-nCoV outbreak, hence why @StoneWarsDE is claiming that "Leaf" will end-up being the Super Mario theme instead.

They can‘t push up a theme in this short amount of time :wink: This must‘ve been planned all along. 

Just now, Megbricks said:

It does??? Boy I have one and never noticed Hahahaha. Maybe it could. I remember that there was a rumour back when dimensions existed that there was a scan the minifig feature beeing worked on for the 3rd that never came. Maybe they are reusing this idea? Who knows...

It doesn't currently take photos, but read the last paragraph.

https://www.lifewire.com/find-and-use-nintendo-switch-camera-4585117

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

They can‘t push up a theme in this short amount of time :wink: This must‘ve been planned all along. 

I don't know, if the theme is as big as they say it is, then it could've been in the works for a couple years already, perhaps ready to go at this point and in the wings waiting for 2021 as so not to divert attention away from Monkey Kid's debut. :shrug_confused:

5 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I don't know, if the theme is as big as they say it is, then it could've been in the works for a couple years already, perhaps ready to go at this point and in the wings waiting for 2021 as so not to divert attention away from Monkey Kid's debut. :shrug_confused:

The thing is, Monkey Kid has entered production which we can tell by the leaked figures. If the production was halted (say, because of Cov-19) and Mario got pushed up to replace it, they must‘ve put the theme into production within mere weeks. That doesn‘t seem realistic to me since I can‘t see them shifting gears this suddenly, especially with a third party involved :wink: 

21 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

It doesn't currently take photos, but read the last paragraph.

https://www.lifewire.com/find-and-use-nintendo-switch-camera-4585117

Oh thanks! Didn’t know about that:)

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

The thing is, Monkey Kid has entered production which we can tell by the leaked figures. If the production was halted (say, because of Cov-19) and Mario got pushed up to replace it, they must‘ve put the theme into production within mere weeks. That doesn‘t seem realistic to me since I can‘t see them shifting gears this suddenly, especially with a third party involved :wink: 

What if... (very unlikely) we get both themes in August 1st!!:)

Just now, Megbricks said:

Oh thanks! Didn’t know about that:)

What if... (very unlikely) we get both themes in August 1st!!:)

Why is that unlikely? That‘s what I assume will happen

I would looove to have a set with « domes » like this on top of a tube. 

49647779276_0b9bae98d2_b.jpg

i think this can be easily achieved with existing pieces.  
and wouldn’t this minion goggle pieces be great in green for tubes? 

49648064177_bcd03ddf3a_b.jpg

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Why is that unlikely? That‘s what I assume will happen

Hopefully this happens!!! I just said that based on the fact that we don’t have pending set numbers leaked for a new theme. Then again. It means nothing. :)