legoMoccer

[LEGO IDEAS] Return to Volcano Island

i have been working on a new pirate set to submit to LEGO Ideas - it is about 50% finished got the inside to do and then some detailing work however i would like to share my progress .

Update:  Now on LEGO Ideas, so...

SUPPORT NOW

Click here to support this submission

The Original

Click here to support this submission

On 3/10/2020 at 3:35 PM, legoMoccer said:

i have been working on a new pirate set to submit to lego ideas - it is about 50% finished got the inside to do and then some detailing work however i would like to share my progress 

9rQUI75.jpg

X1kQyB9.png

kUDOXPG.png

Very nice build.. Well done!!! 

Just now, pantelis said:

Very nice build.. Well done!!! 

thanks, i will be uploading it to lego ideas once ive finished, hopefully i can gather some intrest for classic pirates to come back 

I love the idea of the inner section actually being a hideout not just empty stonework. 

One suggestion: as I've already said with the PotC maelstrom idea, too many redundant details should be avoided with an IDEAS set in my opinion. The skull is very cool but the side parts are too blank and overflooding the piece count. You might try to make it more lightweight there, using plates instead, bigger pieces, maybe some secret storage or any structure which is not so heavy in piece count, like how The Castle in the Forest idea did.

Not taking IDEAS viewpoints, this is a marvelous build, truly showing your skills and also the potential of good old classic pirates.

Well done!

i see your point about the sides being too bare, im sure if it ever was chosen lego would have a better idea on how to make it, for me the actual mountain structure is only 1/2 blocks thick it is pretty much all support and frame work i dont really know how adding plates would work stability wise, i can give it a go, i think what i may do is add like a wooden walkway or lookout section on the right side (the side without the greenery) 

alos just to let you know the rock part isnt actualy that high part count i cheated and used the big rock formation parts that lego used on the hogwarts castle ;), the build itself is 1200 parts

vsn8WtM.png

added a little wooden lookout post, it is crazy how such a small addition changes the look so much 

Edited by legoMoccer

1 hour ago, Faladrin said:

Oh yes ! A great one !

Yes it deserves a frontpage : Done !

Thank you for all the love and support and for the front page!

I have submitted this to Lego ideas hopefully we can get a pirate set out there 

11 hours ago, legoMoccer said:

vsn8WtM.png

added a little wooden lookout post, it is crazy how such a small addition changes the look so much 

Brilliant, this is what I've exactly had in mind. If you have the iron under the hood for it, try to create a bigger landscape for it like The Castle in The Forest idea as submission updates. It is a great way to advertise your build.

I think you have great potential, keep up the amazing work! I have a feeling we'll get an IDEAS set designed by you for sure ;)

12 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

Brilliant, this is what I've exactly had in mind. If you have the iron under the hood for it, try to create a bigger landscape for it like The Castle in The Forest idea as submission updates. It is a great way to advertise your build.

I think you have great potential, keep up the amazing work! I have a feeling we'll get an IDEAS set designed by you for sure ;)

Once I've submitted this and my other project I can definitely give a larger landscape a go might even try and incorporate some of the other classic pirate sets into it remade of course 

Haha thanks for the support, I have a few projects from different themes submitted at the moment just need to wait for Ideas for approve this submission

Edited by legoMoccer

Honestly I'm sceptical at the moment that any pirate themed idea would be approved with the Pirate Bay coming along. On the other hand there is no better way to send TLG a message than great pirates IDEAS getting as many votes as possible. Especially with proper designs like this.

thats true, although i think if the designs are themes are different enough then lego would be ok with it, i think if for example it was another type of bay or shipwreck hideout then it wouldnt get approved, they have had various modular buildings and they had the friends and big bang theory sets which are pretty much the same  

biggest issue i have is finding where to promote my projects, the only place i know is here or lego ideas which means my projects do great in the first 2/3 days (like my lighthouse it hit 700 in a few days but then just stopped as it left the front page) so finding somewhere to promote would help a fair amount

Edited by legoMoccer

Like the desing of this. I have had an similar idea :) But yours are better :) Please cant see what the eastereggs are... :) 

3 minutes ago, Piraten said:

Like the desing of this. I have had an similar idea :) But yours are better :) Please cant see what the eastereggs are... :) 

thanks for your nice words, the easter egg is more of a heavy handed reference, on the top level of the hideout there is a skeleton, sitting next to his chest of gold, this is the same pirate and same gold which can be seen on the box for the 1996 set, he has been sat guarding this chest for 24 years  

Just now, legoMoccer said:

thanks for your nice words, the easter egg is more of a heavy handed reference, on the top level of the hideout there is a skeleton, sitting next to his chest of gold, this is the same pirate and same gold which can be seen on the box for the 1996 set, he has been sat guarding this chest for 24 years  

ahh cool idea :) The skeleton also have bi role on my lego ideas project. the story behind the skeleton is a fun story :) 

I think social networks are the best (sadly) tools today to promote your work. Instagram, facebook groups, reddit, discord channels, etc..

After a critical mass, the snowball effect will do the rest. 

think the musket should be brown og darkgrey

Just now, Medzomorak said:

I think social networks are the best (sadly) tools today to promote your work. Instagram, facebook groups, reddit, discord channels, etc..

i agree,, but its hard work... im doing it right now.... think i will hire some one to do it :) 

2 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

yeah i think i was quite lucky with my nasa spacecraft set that somehow made it to 10k and that was only a test ideas i was using to test the website, now im actually putting effort into the builds they are dying off after a few days, i will have to have a look around once this idea gets approved

i did use reddit for my POTC idea it got like 12k upvotes but non of them came over to Ideas to vote which is a shame  

2 hours ago, legoMoccer said:

yeah i think i was quite lucky with my nasa spacecraft set that somehow made it to 10k and that was only a test ideas i was using to test the website, now im actually putting effort into the builds they are dying off after a few days, i will have to have a look around once this idea gets approved

i did use reddit for my POTC idea it got like 12k upvotes but non of them came over to Ideas to vote which is a shame  

Its a big shame. I'm on 250 now on two days. But al my sparetime goes with sharing and campaign.. Think its harder than a presidental campaign in the USA... :)