Sign in to follow this  
macaron35

-User redacted Thread Title-

Boba Fett looks fine to me, the stormtrooper not so great due to those weird angles.

I'm fine with the price point, if there is going to be a number of them. For a one off, sure it might make sense to go large and expensive. But if this is going to be a collection then I think the price point is fine otherwise the entire collection will be too expensive.

I think a number of people on this site have fallen into the bad habit of comparing new lego releases with mocs that have been created. Comparing a labour of love that is often large, expensive and sometimes a little fragile to a lego set that has very tight constraints on build time, price, pieces and stability is almost redundant. The release of the Razor Crest was a prime example of this and what lego designs produce given their briefs is often impressive. 

Having said all that I think the front on picture of the stormtrooper should have been on the front of the box as it shows off the helmet much better :laugh:

I actually like both of the proposed sets and I’m more curious how long the sub theme would last. If it’s just helmets (by the wording on the box) then I’d expect hopefully future sets being a speeder bike (one of my favourite designs), rebel pilot (would be interesting what they’d do with the visor and interior), royal guard, clone trooper, etc. I’m sure you could come up with 2 per film/tv series.

i think the stormtrooper looks a lot better head on judging the image on the side of the box

As to comparing to an MOC, that’s always a very unfair comparison. I have a few MOC models and they can be very fragile and also expensive. TLG shouldn’t try to compete against these. Also if they were 1:1 scale it would make a collection harder to display, remember TLG will want you to collect them all.

3 hours ago, macaron35 said:

TLG will be releasing 18+ rated helmets, but frankly we are far from 1:1 scale and "UCS" helmets...

it's very bricky...

obviously, i would say it's understandable for sets to be sold under 60 euros, but what i meant is they should have released more expensive and more details helmets instead, especially for 18+ sets which are not targeting kids for playing with it

what do you think ?

I agree with the original post. Personally I do not care about the sets anyway as I am a MOCer, but I do find the bricky appearance to be a weird solution for the adult audience nevertheless.
Making it bigger would be a solution, but I don't think it really matters. This scale is already big enough to make it appear very smooth with the curved slopes etc. if one so wants. Besides, UCS TIE was big but still bricky. Either the designers follow some bricky philosophy that the designs must include a lot of studs in order to appear "Lego like" or they have serious lack of time or talent. Considering the repetitious releases of snowspeeders and other related examples, I guess it might be either of the latter.

- Samppu

indeed, if it was meant for children, i wouldn't care about the bricky aspect, here it is clearly for adults.

Even some lego brickheadz are curvy and less bricky than those helmets

Anyway, i guess that after official sets, we will some MOCs coming not long after

Edited by macaron35

I like the look of them but would also like full size versions. I also agree with the above poster that this forum needs to really stop with the MOC comparisons and recognize the limitations of mass produces sets.

Honestly, considering the niche of these, Lego should've gone for a bigger budget/price point, if it made the helmets (looking at YOU Stormtrooper) better. Boba is pretty spot on, and the Stormie may look good at literally one angle, but one angle does not make a 3-Dimensional product. Curves, man, curves. Stormie needs them.

My only other thought would be different prices within the collection. Boba is fine at $70, but Stormtrooper could've been $90-$100 with better side profiles. I don't know. Hopefully we get helmets like Vader, and Clone Troopers (phase I and II, with extra bricks to make different ranks/legions), from there, maybe Snowtrooper and Scout Troopers? It has potential, to be sure, but if launch is this 50/50, then I don't have high hopes for a consistent subtheme.

14 hours ago, macaron35 said:

Hi there,

After the fantastic but amazingly expensive helmets by MadebyBBB

TLG will be releasing 18+ rated helmets, but frankly we are far from 1:1 scale and "UCS" helmets...

it's very bricky...

obviously, i would say it's understandable for sets to be sold under 60 euros, but what i meant is they should have released more expensive and more details helmets instead, especially for 18+ sets which are not targeting kids for playing with it

what do you think ?

Bobba Fett is ok, but imho, the storm is huge fail :/

It would have made sense to release a Mandalorian helmet before Bobba Fett, considering the TV show is the latest thing Disney released

This feels unfair. You can't exactly compare these to those MOCs, lego can't afford to make helmets that big. Designers are given a set price point to work with, and these don't look terrible for their price. (OK, maybe the stormie, but the boba fett looks great.)

9 hours ago, karmajay said:

I like the look of them but would also like full size versions. I also agree with the above poster that this forum needs to really stop with the MOC comparisons and recognize the limitations of mass produces sets.

^This. 100%

14 hours ago, macaron35 said:

what do you think ?

I think you will live a very unhappy Lego life if your reaction to neat small sets is comparing them to huge, massively complex MOCs with big parts counts and likely quite a few illegal techniques.

I like Boba more and appreciate the combination of smooth surfaces and studs.

Edited by gotoAndLego

As much as I love building the MOC's people have shared/sold in the LEGO community, its ridiculous to compare MOC's to official LEGO sets, probably incomparable for most. There are a lot of constraints and standards that LEGO designers have to achieve to make it a mass-producible product. And with MOC's the only restriction is the designer's imagination. And as many have said here, people need to stop comparing MOC's with sets. 

Asides from that, not a fan of these "busts", but an interesting idea LEGO is going for. 

9 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

I think you will live a very unhappy Lego life if your reaction to neat small sets is comparing them to huge, massively complex MOCs with big parts counts and likely quite a few illegal techniques.

I like Boba more and appreciate the combination of smooth surfaces and studs.

I'm just giving my opinion you know..

It's a forum, we are here to share, to discuss...

it's only my humble opinion. 

If you remember, when TLG release the latest ISD, people were unhappy so in response, they launched a poll to determine the next UCS ship. Well, in my case i only think that those helmets are not very satisfying considering that they are meant to target adults.

If initially they were just toys i would not have said anything, but since they are 18+ sets, i don't think they are not worth buying.

My comparison vs MOCs is about the level of details.

For instance, if Bobba's forehead was smoother and less bricky, it would have been nicer

I for one love this format. I'm not sure why it would be marked 18+ for 500+ pieces and probably a relatively simple build, but aside from that marketing choice, I like the look of it, and the rumored price is a good surprise.

The exposed studs don't bother me at all. Don't get me wrong I love tiles, but this is an official set and the mix between tiles and studs, especially for Boba, looks really good to me.
Full disclosure, I never bought anything else than ships and vehicles until Yoda was released (a set which I also consider to be a very well designed) and I would seriously consider collecting those helmets.

I don't get why it is 18+ and not 16+ like other expert / complex builds. Any instructions that an adult can follow, then a 16+ FOL can also follow. It is not like the material is adult in nature.

41 minutes ago, MAB said:

I don't get why it is 18+ and not 16+ like other expert / complex builds. Any instructions that an adult can follow, then a 16+ FOL can also follow. It is not like the material is adult in nature.

One possibility is that they are using the old trick to make them appear "cooler" for especially teenage audience. For example, old James Bond films were rated 18+ in many countries not because they were somehow extremely violent (they were not) but because it actually increased their popularity among the teenagers at the time. I don't know whether it stands for these busts as well, but I am certain that TLG has had people to do some research on the topic before marking them 18+. 

- Samppu

I think they look fine. The Stomrtooper appears to look a lot better from the front view than the angled view on the box. I think there’s also an appeal to here outside the AFOL community. Fans of Star Wars who aren’t fans of LEGO.

7 hours ago, MAB said:

i mean, they don't exactly bar people under 18 from buying them. I think it's more of an interest thing, they're appealing to people who were around when The Empire Strikes Back came out, at least partially.

1 hour ago, GREG998 said:

OUch.........really???

And that's why lego didn't make the boba fett and stormtrooper that detailed.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:36 AM, AfolFree said:

I for one love this format. I'm not sure why it would be marked 18+ for 500+ pieces and probably a relatively simple build, but aside from that marketing choice, I like the look of it, and the rumored price is a good surprise.

The exposed studs don't bother me at all. Don't get me wrong I love tiles, but this is an official set and the mix between tiles and studs, especially for Boba, looks really good to me.
Full disclosure, I never bought anything else than ships and vehicles until Yoda was released (a set which I also consider to be a very well designed) and I would seriously consider collecting those helmets.

My guess on the age thing could be due to the build of the helmets. I’m betting it’s a bit more fragile than a more run of the mill, target audience set, since these helmets aren’t meant for play, but display. 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

i mean, they don't exactly bar people under 18 from buying them. I think it's more of an interest thing, they're appealing to people who were around when The Empire Strikes Back came out, at least partially.

If they wanted to appeal to kids that saw the movies at the original release dates, then they could make them 45+ instead.

The point was more that creator expert sets such as modulars are 16+ not 18+.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:17 AM, macaron35 said:

I'm just giving my opinion you know..

It's a forum, we are here to share, to discuss...

it's only my humble opinion. 

@macaron35 You build your narrative very specifically for 'just giving a humble opinion':

?
On 3/9/2020 at 9:57 AM, macaron35 said:

Hi there,

After the fantastic but amazingly expensive helmets by MadebyBBB

*truncated*

it's very bricky...

This sounds like TLG released the helmet sets *after* seeing the 'amazing BBB designs' and wanted to do something similar, which is a ridiculous claim. You might not have wanted to put it like that but that's how it sounds - almost a tabloid headline style of comment.

If you remember, when TLG release the latest ISD, people were unhappy so in response, they launched a poll to determine the next UCS ship.

Again, you are presenting your own (humble, I guess?) interpretation of events as bare facts.

If initially they were just toys i would not have said anything, but since they are 18+ sets, i don't think they are not worth buying.

The fact that you let a number on the box seriously impact your perception of the set in such case speaks for itself, frankly. 

I often roll my eyes above discussion topics like this one where the point is some vague fabricated issue about a set and its 'worth' in the eyes of 'AFOLS', but I don't think I have ever seen one as pathetic as this one. Is it really so exciting to look for things to complain about and pin down as disappointing? Or maybe it is just some weird urge to create a topic but not having anything better to say? I apologize if I come as being rude to someone, but this is about as far from constructive and interesting hobby related discussion as it gets (unless, of course, you go off-topic completely).

11 hours ago, Kristof said:

@macaron35 You build your narrative very specifically for 'just giving a humble opinion':

This sounds like TLG released the helmet sets *after* seeing the 'amazing BBB designs' and wanted to do something similar, which is a ridiculous claim. You might not have wanted to put it like that but that's how it sounds - almost a tabloid headline style of comment.

Again, you are presenting your own (humble, I guess?) interpretation of events as bare facts.

The fact that you let a number on the box seriously impact your perception of the set in such case speaks for itself, frankly. 

I often roll my eyes above discussion topics like this one where the point is some vague fabricated issue about a set and its 'worth' in the eyes of 'AFOLS', but I don't think I have ever seen one as pathetic as this one. Is it really so exciting to look for things to complain about and pin down as disappointing? Or maybe it is just some weird urge to create a topic but not having anything better to say? I apologize if I come as being rude to someone, but this is about as far from constructive and interesting hobby related discussion as it gets (unless, of course, you go off-topic completely).

Agreed to all of these, some people just want to complain.
And based on how he's changed his comment and title to ".", I guess he agrees?

Agreed on the points above. I'll also say that I think it's commendable that the OP redacted his comments based on the feedback he received. That's a sign of maturity when someone who is able to take constructive criticism in stride. 

Thank you, @macaron35:thumbup:

I think folks might be being a teensy bit harsh on the OP. There are valid (to some, anyway) criticisms of the helmets... they are very studdy after all... Could LEGO have made smoother, larger versions for more like $90-100? Yes, but then they'd probably sell half as many, or eat into sales of other large sets. 

Personally I don't mind them, and think they're a good value for the money (if you're hung up on price per part, $60 for 600-650 parts is very good these days), and they look pretty good for the size. But they're clearly not for everyone. (Which is why I wish we got these in addition to a regular wave, rather than in place of it... I think people would be more receptive to these if there had been 6 or so system sets offered alongside them.)

Well I hope my comments were not taken taken personally as I was making comments aimed at the forum in general. This is a great place to discuss our hobby we enjoy and It's only natural we have differing views on it and we are free to express them here. My only gripes of late are users complaining that a set is not as good as a moc or that a set looks too "blocky". The moc point has been discussed already but to call a set too blocky is just as puzzling to me as I have an architectural background and was taught to always celebrate the materials used and not hide them. I sometimes think people would be better off building airfix model kits of modelling in clay if the blocky nature of a set is so disappointing.