eric trax

[MOC] Skid Steer Loader - Lego Technic 42100 Model B

Hi. Guys! :) The high pace in building agricultural models I imposed myself last year meant that I had to take a break. I need something completely different and new challenges. Then I decided that it would be interesting to build an alternative model for the official set. The limited amount of bricks always boosts creativity. The 42100 set doesn't have a B model at the moment.

skid_steer_loader_2.jpg

When I saw model of Bobcat loader build by my friend Makkes', I thought it might be a pretty interesting idea for an alternative model. However, I didn't want to build a typical skid steer loader. Looking through this type of machine, I found the Bobcat T870. It is interesting because it has additional links and support arms. For what? Well, to get the vertical lift path. The whole system eliminates the bucket moving back effect and this makes loading onto trucks much easier.

img.axd?id=5107324143&wid=4326159703&rwl

I built a loader in just over two weeks. Scaled to the wheels gave a 1:9 result. From the first pin, I planned that the model would be built modularly. It caused me a bit of problems but I learned a lot and the whole construction contains 14 modules. I started by building caterpillars and I am very proud of them. Technic links are very well stretched much better than in model A.

The model is not complicated but its construction gives a lot of fun for example connecting the caterpillars with the frame and then the drive. When I ran out of one cardan, I decided to assemble it from the available elements.

I wouldn't be myself if I didn't take care of visual issues. I knew at the planning stage that I wanted to finish the cabin with pneumatic hoses as a cage. I added many details such as oil tank, distributor, radiator, muffler. When we talk about visual details, operator's seat is my favorite part.

I am aware that the model does not use the full potential of the set. Only a Control HUB and three engines and some parts are left for use. I treat this model as a warm-up before the next one

Marek, as usual, create building instructions for the model and of course he did a perfect job. The original application is not suitable for control this model, so I decided I would create another instruction for the BuWizz application so that everyone could easily configure it.

page_21.png

do_instrukcji_3.jpg

Model dimensions: Length 42cm, Width 23cm, Height 26cm, Weight 2480 gram

Drive 2x XL, arms lifting XL, tilting bucket L motor.

The building instructions are available at:

https://sellfy.com/p/dwatsg/

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-37222/M_longer/42100-skid-steer-loader/

Photos and video below. This is my first alternative model so I am interested in your opinions.

skid_steer_loader_1.jpg_thumb.jpg skid_steer_loader_2.jpg_thumb.jpg skid_steer_loader_3.jpg_thumb.jpg skid_steer_loader_4.jpg_thumb.jpg skid_steer_loader_5.jpg_thumb.jpg skid_steer_loader_6.jpg_thumb.jpg skid_steer_loader_7.jpg_thumb.jpg 

Edited by eric trax

Great job!

This skid-steerers with an advanced kinematic are really nice to look at, and so are yours. Using the pneumatic hose for the cabin is just brilliant :-)

Does the video show the max elevation of the arm? It looks like it could reach higher if the actuartor are placed a little bit backwards?

19 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Does the video show the max elevation of the arm? It looks like it could reach higher if the actuartor are placed a little bit backwards?

Lifting height is a compromise. Moving the actuators backwards will result in a smaller load capacity (is not too high - 380 grams). Higher height and lifting capacity could be done, in a standard arm system. However, this is not so interesting :)

19 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Using the pneumatic hose for the cabin is just brilliant :-)

I'm proud of this idea :D Thank You!

Very cool MOC and it proves that it is actually possible mocing with Control+ elements :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

It looks like it could reach higher if the actuartor are placed a little bit backwards?

The most shocking thing about this model is its actual size.
I have been working on instructions for few weeks, but I have realized how enormous it is after building it.
And that's the reason why functions are limited, even with new C+ and longer actuators. Leverage force placed on the arm
is much greater than in typical models built around 1:17 scale.

Lat's say that this model is just a prelude for something sleeker and much advanced (keep in mind that three motors and hub are left unused) ;)

You both did a professional job. Beautiful model, great proportions and details. Very high-quality video. And instructions at the highest level. Bravo

Very well done, as usual!

I'm hyped to see what @M_longer means saying "Lat's say that this model is just a prelude for something sleeker and much advanced (keep in mind that three motors and hub are left unused) ;) "

I gotta say, I didnt have a ton of interest in getting 42100 for some reason, but your model completely changes that - Bravo!

14 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

So I started this MOC and the instructions are just as you mentioned...great!! Real pro. This is going to be a nice one!!  

Thank you :)
These instructions are always double checked, I always build a test model to be 100% sure that it can be assembled.

I have just finished building your B-model. Congratulations to both of you. Excellent model with excellent instructions. I really enjoyed the build. Lego should thank you because it adds value to the 42100 set. The model is indeed very big. :thumbup: I like that you did not stop with the raw model, but added details that make the model look so much better and added as well the forks and the crate. It is actually quite fun to play with! The instructions how to configure the Buwizz app are very clear and straightforward. The controls no longer functioned after a couple of days. I tried everything, but did not manage to get it working again. I deleted the profile and created a new one from scratch and now it functions again.

I am looking forward to the next fruit of your collaboration!

16 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

I am looking forward to the next fruit of your collaboration!

I am still trying to convince Eric for doing so ;)

Creative and impressive! Nice idea. Seems complicated.